-

Photo
- - - - -

Erich Kunzel of Cincinnati Pops dies at 74

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 06:03 AM

Thank you for the music, maestro.  RIP

http://news.cincinna...nzel dies at 74

SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 01 2009 - 07:43 AM

Sad news indeed. I have several of his Telarc pops CDs and they're all delightful. R.I.P., Maestro Kunzel.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 09:05 AM

That is a real shame. I, too, have the telarc SACDs and they are some of my favorite in the collection.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 11:26 AM

Really sorry to hear this.  

I own about a *dozen* of his CDs, including "Disney Spectactular", "Bond and Beyond", "Big Band Hit Parade", "Happy Trails", "Round-Up", "Epics", "Ein Straussfest", "Star Tracks (1 and 2)", "Hollywood's Greatest Hits" and so on.  His interpretations of these great themes and songs were always exciting! 

In fact, I was listening to "The Terminator" track on his "Great Fantasy Adventure" album when I stumbled onto this thread.

Needless to say, I'm *really* going to miss him!

Joseph
---------------

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,806 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted September 01 2009 - 11:43 AM

A good piece bearing terrible news.  Thanks, Danny.

I was unaware of his earlier career efforts in opera and that it was Fiedler who played a role in bringing him to pops.

He was a very significant conductor to me in my earliest CD-buying days circa 1984-1985.  The Star Tracks and Time Warp CDs of those years not only were oft amongst the speaker-taxing demo material I had in hand when I went to hi fi stores, but they kicked off a 20-year (mostly) love affair with that series of sci fi/action/adventure film score compilations.  I had my issues with some of the arrangements with more recent offerings such as Mega Movies, but they were always spirited performances of course featuring stunning sound quality.  They were the only re-records I ever consistently embraced.  And what a grand John Williams interpreter Erich is!  Dare I say the E.T. cues from Star Tracks trump the original perfs.

Kunzel broadened the exposure and appeal of live and recorded symphonic music--bravo.

Terrifying that he had a clean bill of health 15 months ago, was apparently diligent with check ups due to his father's having died of cancer and was diagnosed just four months ago.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,419 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 03 2009 - 01:39 AM

The NY TImes also ran a nice piece on Kunzel. 

I loved the story about Raindrops Keep Fallin'...  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon