Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How about connecting all speaker ports to the mains?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 1122334

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 01:01 PM

I have a Yamaha RX-V620.  I want to hook up two large towers. It does not have a 2-channel option.  So, my plan was to combine the left rear to the left main, the right rear to the right main, and divide the center into the to towers as well.  So, good idea or not?

#2 of 5 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,455 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 01:14 PM

Best case scenario is the receiver will shut down instantly.  Worst case scenario is it will become a very fancy and expensive paperweight.  In either case, it will not do anything but risk your personal safety.  I haven't looked up the particular receiver, but all digital surround receivers have a 2 channel option, simply by turning off all the other speakers in the set-up menu.  Where that menu is and how you do it varies widely from receiver to receiver.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 5 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 01:15 PM

Don't do that!  The receiver most certainly has a 2 channel option.  Go to www.yamaha.com/yec , download the receiver manual.  Follow instructions for how to get into the setup menu, tell it you only have large front left/front right.

Turn off any surround modes, you'll get stereo that way also.

#4 of 5 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,455 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 01:17 PM

It could make for a nice light show.

Seriously, don't even THINK about doing that, but I guess you already did think about it.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 5 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted August 25 2009 - 02:56 PM

Jonathan,

Couple points (besides DO NOT try that at home)....

Bigger speakers are not always better.  More power is not always better.  If you want better sound, list your equipment (model/specs) and we can probably help.