Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony - What's Up with KWAI and LAWRENCE?

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted July 30 2009 - 06:07 AM

Your two most prestigious Oscar-winners are still M.I.A. on Blu-ray. Wanting to get these out looking their best is understandable (and desirable), but it's been a long, long time, and even last year there were intimations these would be released in 2009. Any progress?

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 30 2009 - 09:04 AM

I voted in an online Sony poll about what to release. I voted for Lawrence. It won and Sony promised to release it. They managed to have it shown on HD Net Movies but no release, yet, after 2+ years.... /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif

Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 30 2009 - 09:54 AM

I don't see what the concern is all about. These two titles are gonna be released on BD. It's not a question of if, but of when. Sony's release schedule is outright dominated by their marketing department, so 90% of the reason these titles are not out yet is likely due to not having a marketing window they like. My guess is Nov-Dec 2010.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted July 30 2009 - 10:06 AM

Sony never answers these threads. I don't know what's up with SONY but they sure haven't released anything old expect for a few black and white 1960s classics and some stop animiation stuff

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted July 30 2009 - 10:30 AM

Sony has released/has scheduled to release about the same # of their pre-90s catalog as the other major studios (Fox/MGM/Paramount) this side of Warner. If anything, Disney and Universal are the ones who need to pick up the slack. (Disney has far less catalog, and Universal is still playing Blu-ray catch-up).

Studios by decade

1930-1939

Disney - 1
Warner - 3

1940-1949

Disney - 2
Fox - 1
Paramount - 1
Warner - 1

1950-1959

Disney - 1
Fox - 4
Sony - 4
Warner - 7

1960-1969

Fox - 5
MGM - 8
Sony - 4
Warner - 9

1970-1979

Fox - 13
MGM - 9
Paramount - 7
Sony - 5
Warner - 23

1980-1989

Fox - 11
Lionsgate - 6
MGM - 13
Sony - 15
Paramount - 18
Universal - 6
Warner - 27

Totals

Disney - 4
Fox - 34
Lionsgate - 6
MGM - 30
Sony - 28
Paramount - 26
Universal - 6
Warner - 70

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 30 2009 - 03:17 PM

Small solace if you don't have it, but If you want to catch them, they're on HDNet Movies at least once a month (at least Lawrence is, Bridge has been on in the recent past too).

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 09:36 AM

"they're on HDNet Movies at least once a month "

Well thanks to those jerks at Time Warner Cable  ,we don't get those channels anymore ,but the  very good but very defective MGM HD
channel ,and one of the worst HD channels ever MAV!!!!

Sony can't bother with the better Lean Films when they have to rush out classic's lke "St Elmo's Fire" and "About
Last Night" on Blue Ray

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 01 2009 - 10:49 AM

Exactly.  Their is NO excuse for Lawrence of Arabia.  This was their demo film for Blu-Ray when introduced in the States, oh so many year ago.  Just awful Sony. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neski 

Sony can't bother with the better Lean Films when they have to rush out classic's lke "St Elmo's Fire" and "About
Last Night" on Blue Ray

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, the bastards. I say we murder 'em all.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

They killed Kenny too, los bastardos!

Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 02 2009 - 12:20 AM

Quote:

I don't see what the concern is all about. These two titles are gonna be released on BD. It's not a question of if, but of when. Sony's release schedule is outright dominated by their marketing department, so 90% of the reason these titles are not out yet is likely due to not having a marketing window they like. My guess is Nov-Dec 2010.

Quote:

Brandon,

Your sarcasm and 'complain about the complainers' status are dully noted.  Clearly we're not solving world hunger here but if you want to create a thread stating that you believe that studios delaying the release of important films that would benefit from a hi-def release such as Lawrence and Kwai is a good thing, I'm sure there are plenty here that would love to chime in.  Otherwise, your 'could be worse, could be raining' posts are what they are.   

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 12:25 AM

I'm sure a new digital restoration of Bridge on the River Kwai could produce a much better transfer than what the DVD showed.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 03:42 AM

I agree it taking Sony a long time to get these out.

I just hope that the delay with these two titles will result in outstanding transfers. They deserve nothing less. For Lawrence it would be nice to get all the extras from the original 2-disc DVD release combined with the accurately color timed transfer of the Superbit DVD in one comprehensive Blu-ray.

I still like the packaging of the original DVD (the tweed box) and may use it for the Blu.

Question for those who have seen LoA on HDNet: Was it OAR or cropped to 1.78:1? 

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz W 

I agree it taking Sony a long time to get these out.

I just hope that the delay with these two titles will result in outstanding transfers. They deserve nothing less. For Lawrence it would be nice to get all the extras from the original 2-disc DVD release combined with the accurately color timed transfer of the Superbit DVD in one comprehensive Blu-ray.

I still like the packaging of the original DVD (the tweed box) and may use it for the Blu.

Question for those who have seen LoA on HDNet: Was it OAR or cropped to 1.78:1? 

HDNet is very conscientious about showing films in OAR, and it's no different with LOA.  However, the transfer is rather mediocre--it's riddled with EE, and doesn't look all that detailed.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

HDNet is very conscientious about showing films in OAR, and it's no different with LOA.  However, the transfer is rather mediocre--it's riddled with EE, and doesn't look all that detailed.

Well if that's the case I'll just wait for the BD. On most of the titles I own on both Blu and DVD any EE problems were either eliminated or greatly reduced on the Blu-ray. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a great example of this.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d 

Brandon,

Your sarcasm and 'complain about the complainers' status are dully noted.  Clearly we're not solving world hunger here but if you want to create a thread stating that you believe that studios delaying the release of important films that would benefit from a hi-def release such as Lawrence and Kwai is a good thing, I'm sure there are plenty here that would love to chime in.  Otherwise, your 'could be worse, could be raining' posts are what they are.   

Just trying to bring some levity and common sense to the conversation. I know I want both films in HD, but unlike other titles that may never be released on BD, these two are 100% locks to be released. Sony knows this, and everyone else knows it. These aren't titles that will come any sooner with a fan made letter writing campaign. They'll come when Sony is good and ready to deliver them, and not a day sooner. We could turn this entire forum into the "When is Lawrence Coming Out on Blu-ray Forum" and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I've also always found it a poor argument to point at other releases that are coming out as somehow preventing another film from getting released. About Last Night isn't delaying Lawrence's release by a second.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 02 2009 - 07:53 AM

Quote:

Just trying to bring some levity and common sense to the conversation. I know I want both films in HD, but unlike other titles that may never be released on BD, these two are 100% locks to be released. Sony knows this, and everyone else knows it. These aren't titles that will come any sooner with a fan made letter writing campaign. They'll come when Sony is good and ready to deliver them, and not a day sooner. We could turn this entire forum into the "When is Lawrence Coming Out on Blu-ray Forum" and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I've also always found it a poor argument to point at other releases that are coming out as somehow preventing another film from getting released. About Last Night isn't delaying Lawrence's release by a second.

Your argument seems to be based on that this sub-forum as primarily a portal to discuss viewpoints with the studios.  It's not.  Nor is the film sub-forum a way of getting directors to change the way they make films.  It's a sub-forum for hi-def video discussions among members.  I don't give a rat's tail if someone from the studio reads them or not.   

"I've also always found it a poor argument to point at other releases that are coming out as somehow preventing another film from getting released. About Last Night isn't delaying Lawrence's release by a second."
Well, that's not one of my points.  But if there are any positives to Lawrence being delayed at present, please let us know.  As it is, Blu-Ray seems to have all the traction of a rainy road after the leaves have fallen.  Perhaps they are patiently waiting for the 15-24 year old kids to get off Gaming and the Internet [/sarcasm tag].   

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael B 

I voted in an online Sony poll about what to release. I voted for Lawrence. It won and Sony promised to release it. They managed to have it shown on HD Net Movies but no release, yet, after 2+ years.... /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif">
So-knee promised and then broke our fragile, little glass hearts....

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d 

Your argument seems to be based on that this sub-forum as primarily a portal to discuss viewpoints with the studios.  It's not.  Nor is the film sub-forum a way of getting directors to change the way they make films.  It's a sub-forum for hi-def video discussions among members.  I don't give a rat's tail if someone from the studio reads them or not 
The thread is titled: "Sony - What's Up with KWAI and LAWRENCE?" My mistake for interpreting such as this thread being made with the hope of getting Sony's attention....

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 02 2009 - 12:20 PM

Nope, I stand corrected.  Point taken.