-

Photo
- - - - -

Tron Legacy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
166 replies to this topic

#1 of 167 Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 08:25 AM

The title of the Tron sequel was announced today at Comic Con - Tron Legacy

There are two viral sites so far:

http://www.flynnlives.com

http://www.homeoftron.com

and a Facebook page has been established - http://www.facebook.com/Tron

The new logo on what appears to be a teaser poster:

Posted Image

From G4's coverage of the Disney panel - a description of the clip that was shown:
Quote:

In the clip: We see Sam Flynn enter his father's decrepit arcade. He walks though the dusty room, while period-metal plays. He walks toward the back of the arcade, where a Tron machine is running. Puts a quarter in. It falls out. The cabinet swings off the wall, and Flynn steps behind it, presumably into the game world of Tron.
Looks like Disney pulled off one of the more memorable viral events last night at Comic Con.  They recreated Flynn's arcade complete with playable Space Paranoids machines and a lifesize lightcycle from the new film.

http://chud.com/arti...IDEO/Page1.html

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41803

http://static.hometh...LL-Flynns.jpg">

Edited by Patrick.C - 7/24/2009 at 04:01 pm GMT
Edited by Patrick.C - 7/24/2009 at 04:02 pm GMT

#2 of 167 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,149 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:34 AM

Very cool. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 167 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:48 AM

I can't wait...I'm such a nerd. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#4 of 167 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:23 PM

http://www.darkhoriz...disney-3d-panel

Here is more information
Quote:

Finally came "Tron: Legacy", the title for the upcoming "Tron" follow-up. The filmmakers along with actors Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde and Jeff Bridges were there for a panel. Asked about the new title, Bridges says "everything is going to be super-ized" after discussing the brief logline of the film. Filming finished last Monday.

There's also sketches of the new vehicles including the recognizer, the solar sailer, the light runner (basically an AT buggy version of the light cycle), the second and fifth generation light cycles, the streets of Tron City, and the new gladiatorial game stadium.

The director says "the world of Tron has been evolving on its own server for twenty years like the Galapagos, so its darker and more visceral". The environment has become more detailed with weather patterns and textures. There was some video footage of athletes doing motion capture sessions for the disc wars game. They used the 'Phantom Camera', which shoots 1000 frames a second, which was in 3D for the first time.

"I feel like Rip Van Winkle" says first film director Steve Lisberger who was heavily involved in this sequel 27 years after the first film, "They're doing what needs to be done, making this cyber-western real". The filmmakers talk about Daft Punk's involvement in the score with twenty-four tracks already done.

They also showed off a scene in 2D where Sam Flynn (Hedlund) finds an old arcade game parlor. After switching on the power, turning on a jukebox playing an 80's power ballad and several arcade machines. At the far end is a "Tron" game with the bike players and Flynn finds a secret door hidden behind the machine

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#5 of 167 DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 08:06 AM

I'm blown away they re-created Flynn's Arcade -- Disney really outdid themselves with this one. Here's hoping the new movie lives up to the legacy.

#6 of 167 Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 09:15 AM

We have a trailer! It's last year's Comic-Con footage...

http://www.flynnlives.com/media/video/0xendgame.aspx

#7 of 167 George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 12:23 PM

Nice to see a high quality vid of this!

#8 of 167 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,843 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 24 2009 - 01:46 PM

If that's from last year, I wonder why it didn't leak out before now.  In any case, it looks terrific.  If that's just proof of concept footage, I can't wait for the finished product.

I wonder if Tron 2.0 will fit into this.  It'd be cool to have a new game with the look of this trailer.

#9 of 167 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,087 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted July 24 2009 - 03:56 PM

They need to have some music from Wendy Carlos in there.

I look forward to this one for sure.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#10 of 167 DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

If that's from last year, I wonder why it didn't leak out before now.
There have been low-res, blurry versions of this clip available online for the past year now, but this official release of the test footage as a "trailer" marks the first time most of us have seen a high quality version.

#11 of 167 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 10:11 AM

http://www.darkhoriz...-on-tron-legacy-

Can't wait to see more.

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#12 of 167 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,698 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 01 2009 - 10:41 AM

So...I don't know... TRON is part of my childhood, a beloved movie from that time. Ahead of its time technologically, a surprisingly good score, and a plot and acting sufficient to entrance a 10 year old.

This trailer tugs at my heartstrings, evoking my love of TRON. But taken on its own, doesn't do anything. I watch movies in a post-Matrix and post-Toy Story era. The slow-mo flying through the air flip was done better a decade ago. The stylized CG, beyond cool in the 80s, is passe now.

My inner child wants to love it. But smells a bit like a crass attempt to get dollars from from 80s-kids.

#13 of 167 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,575 posts

Posted August 01 2009 - 12:55 PM

I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to see more of it before condemning it; although, it looks like Flynn is going to be the villain in this one. I'm not sure if I like that aspect.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#14 of 167 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,698 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 01 2009 - 02:33 PM

I hope it's a fun movie. And I hope it has Bit. (But I'm a bit cynical towards it.)

#15 of 167 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,149 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 02 2009 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to see more of it before condemning it; although, it looks like Flynn is going to be the villain in this one. I'm not sure if I like that aspect.
What gave you that idea?

From the viral websites, I gather that this movie could be subtitled "The Search for Flynn".

EDIT: Well I just read the Con transcript. Interesting....

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 167 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,575 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway View Post

What gave you that idea?

From the viral websites, I gather that this movie could be subtitled "The Search for Flynn".

EDIT: Well I just read the Con transcript. Interesting....

I watched the clip that was posted here on the thread. You see Flynn looking down from on high while the one cyclist is dematting the other. That scene just gave me the vibe that Flynn could be the villain in the film. I could just be getting the wrong impression. There isn't enough information in the clip to draw any concrete conclusion. It is all just impression.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#17 of 167 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,558 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 01:34 PM

I agree that from the clip Flynn seems like he could be the new MCP over the Tron Universe.

#18 of 167 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 04:32 PM

Quote:
although, it looks like Flynn is going to be the villain in this one. I'm not sure if I like that aspect. 

I could see it as being a thing where it appears at first that Flynn is the villain, but really isn't as it turns out. Maybe it's like a Tron universe case of identity theft or something like that.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#19 of 167 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

I watched the clip that was posted here on the thread. You see Flynn looking down from on high while the one cyclist is dematting the other. That scene just gave me the vibe that Flynn could be the villain in the film. I could just be getting the wrong impression. There isn't enough information in the clip to draw any concrete conclusion. It is all just impression.

The clip was a VFX test created before the film even had a script, so I wouldn't take it as an indication of anything really.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#20 of 167 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,843 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 02 2009 - 05:59 PM

Not just looking down.  Younger Flynn sans beard is the yellow rider.  He seems like the villain when he strikes the downed rider who is begging for mercy, but we don't know the context even if it is carried over to the script.

I just watched it again in the highest resolution and I continue to proclaim it a fantastic trailer.