What's new

3D Blu-ray Review THE HTF 3D ADDICT: Tron Legacy (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

htf3daddictbanner.jpg

What can I say?  I love 3D!  From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content.  I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite.  That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT.  I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky.  However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation.  These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves.  I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum.  My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released.   As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.

515Xzwg1gPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TRON LEGACY

Studio: Walt Disney

Product Release: April 5, 2011

Ratio: 2.35:1 & 1.78:1

Audio: English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French & Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Running Time: 125 Minutes

Rating: G

3dsmall.jpg

ON A SCALE 0-5

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 3

3D Separation: 3

3D In Yo' Face Factor: 0

As I begin this review I think it fair to warn everyone 

that I was never a fan of 1982's Tron.  True, the film

was revolutionary for its computer animated graphics.  

However, within this fantasy world created by Disney

animators was a total lack of intelligent dialogue and

overall emotion supported by thinly-veiled storytelling.  

While I was immediately captured by the visuals that

were groundbreaking for its time, I felt it a struggle to

watch.  The film was all all glitz and no substance. It

never captured me emotionally and for those reasons

Tron has always ranked as one of the most boring films

I have ever seen.

With that, one would expect that I didn't have the

highest hopes for Tron Legacy.  While the rest of the

world was overhyping the film prior to the release, I

already decided I would skip the sequel entirely.  With

the film about to make its debut on 3D Blu-ray, my 

curiosity was raised enough to ask the studio to 

send over a screener copy. So, with a bit of hesitation, 

I finally sat and gave this film a look.

tron2.jpg

As the film opens we find ourselves sitting through a rather 

laborious 20 minute storyline featuring Kevin Flynn

(Jeff Bridges) bidding his son goodnight and then suddenly

disappearing for the next 20 years.  Now at the age

of 27, Flynn's son Sam (Garrett Hedlund) is playing pranks

upon his father's company.  He receives what he believes 

is a text page from his father and embarks on a search 

that takes him to the basement below Flynn's Arcade where

he is sucked into "The Grid," a digital land of his father's creation.

As the film shifts from 2D to 3D, we now find ourselves

in this digital landscape of bright neon-enriched colors.

This world is ruled by CLU, a hacking program who has

taken on the form of Kevin Flynn but through a mutiny,

has trapped the creator in his own digital grid for the

last 20 years.   Father and son are eventually reunited

with the assistance of a program named Quorra (Olivia

Wilde).  Together the trio must travel across the cyber

plains to find a way to stop CLU from executing his evil

plans to invade the outer world.

tron3.jpg

In very much the same effect as Dorothy opening

her front door and discovering Oz, audiences will

be hurled from a 2D world into a 3D filled with 

dazzling colors and computer effects that include

a multi-level lightcycle track.  However, though 

the effect work seems mostly fresh, it somehow

doesn't achieve that groundbreaking feel of the

original film.  Perhaps the best piece of CGI work

done in this film was the de-aging of Bridges for

the role of his nemesis, Clu.  The effect of making

the actor look 20 years younger is somewhat 

convincing though the facial features sometimes

lack expression.

The film's eye candy quickly fades as it has little

support from the film's thin storyline, one-dimensional

characters and third-rate dialogue.  The film is unevenly

paced with action scenes sandwiched between long

stretches of dull dialogue.  As with the original film,

there seems to be a lack of any human emotion here.  

tron4.jpg

I am going to do things a little backwards by first

talking about the disc's DTS-HD audio track which

I found to be actively engaging.  The first thing you

will notice is the pounding techno-rock track courtesy

of the musician duo Daft Punk, which carries an

amazing amount of bass.  I was very surprised that

their symphonic arrangement in this film sounds

remarkably similar to Hanz Zimmer's Inception score.  

Be it as it may, the soundtrack is quite enveloping

and the rear channels do a worthy job of delivering

the films effects that include a lot of cool directional

panning during the film's action sequences such as

the light cycle race.

Disney has done a superb job with providing a

transfer that is highly detailed and artifact free. The

digital landscape that is comprised of "The Grid" is

filled with vibrant orange and yellow neon colors set

across a dark backdrop.  This creates a sense of

"eye candy" that is stunningly conveyed here.

tron7.jpg

The biggest disappointment I had with this film

was the 3D itself.  Going into this film I had 

anticipated that Tron Legacy would provide some

amazing 3D effects, but sadly, it's not very impressive.

Director Joseph Kosinski keeps the 3D effects squarely

planted within the confines of the screen.  However, 

because the film is mostly dark, you get very little

sense of depth.  From experience, I don't find the

problem to be exclusive to a title like this.  It seems

anytime you diminish lighting you lose 3D definition.  

It's really a shame because this is such an incredibly

hi-tech visual film and there is no sense of a 3D window

atmosphere where you can just reach out and touch

the characters.  Sadly, "The Grid" landscape generally 

looks more flat than three dimensional.  Nothing pops

out at the audience, which is fine as it seems to be

the director's intent, but some great effect enhancements

have been thrown to the side such as light cycle

explosions that one would expect to hurdle debris at

the audience but instead is executed with the most 

minimal of impact.  There were a few quick overhead

shots that looked rather neat, and I would say that the

last 20 minutes of the film which involved a light jet

chase looked probably better in 3D than anything else. 

tron5.jpg

The film switches from a mixed aspect ratio of 2.40:1

in both 2D and 3D sequences to IMAX 1.78:1 during the

film's climatic action moments.  The switching of aspect

ratios mostly goes unnoticed except that one feels more

enveloped with the film when shown in IMAX mode.  The

overall quality of the 3D is not affected by these changes.

What really has me scratching my head is that when

considering how dimly lit this film is, there should 

be a wealth of noticeable ghosting.  I was quite amazed

to find no ghosting whatsoever during the entire length

of the film.  Big round of applause to the folks at Disney

for accomplishing this.

Tron Legacy arrives in a 2-Movie Collection alongside 

the classic original film, Tron.  You get Legacy in 3D 

and 2D Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy.  You get Tron

in 2D Blu-ray.   There are also other combinations of

these films sold individually or in a deluxe set.

CONCLUSION

tron8.jpg

Tron Legacy does very little to improve itself upon the

original film other than modernized CGI and a bigger

cast.  However, the more interesting talents of Olivia

Wilde and Michael Sheen (as the flamboyant Zuse) are

terribly wasted here with the small amount of screen

time they are given.  In fact, everyone in this film

gets upstaged by the effects which seem more 

important than delivering a well-connected story

that viewers can retain interested in.

The 3D itself is mostly effective, though somewhat

minimized.  This doesn't look close to what we have

seen in Avatar nor would I place it in any top 10 list

of the best 3D titles I have seen to date.

With all that being said, I actually liked Tron Legacy

better than the original film, though once the credits

rolled I considered it already "forgotten." 

Images are for illustrative purpose only not representative of the picture quality of this disc. 

Equipment

LG 60PX950 THX Certified 3D display

Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player

Denon 3808CI Receiver

Atlantic Technology H-PAS AT-1 fronts, 4400 center; 4200 rear speakers

SV Sound Subwoofer

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wonder if there will be similar complaints about the aspect ratio changes as there were for the Dark Knight.

The film switches from a mixed aspect ratio of 2.40:1 in both 2D and 3D sequences to IMAX 1.78:1 during the film's climatic action moments. The switching of aspect ratios mostly goes unnoticed except that one feels more enveloped with the film when shown in IMAX mode. The overall quality of the 3D is not affected by these changes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had an interview last night with the film's director who was very enthusiastic about the IMAX sequences and their inclusion onto the Blu-ray release. That interview will be forthcoming as will my review of the set, the latter likely tomorrow night.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Why does everyone keep referring to the opened up sequences as being in IMAX? They weren't shot in IMAX.

Apparently, opening the mattes in selected sections of a film is now considered to be IMAXing a film. Opening the mattes on selected scenes of this film is a waste of time because, as you pointed out, they weren't shot in IMAX unlike the The Dark Knight, where opening the mattes supposedly made some sort of sense. Of course Disney couldn't be bothered to put the version that played in a majority of theatres in this release: only a non-IMAX version that happened to play in IMAX theatres. Outstanding job Disney. Keep up the good work.

Regarding the "3D" effects of this film, I can't comment on the BD, but it was plenty apparent to me when the film switched to "3D" in the theatrical version that I saw. The "3D", as it was shot, worked okay for me, because I generally find all of the "poke out" effects in 3D movies to be mostly cheesy, tossed in nonsense. The tossed in nature of such effects becomes abundantly apparent when the same film is viewed in "2D".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Regarding the "3D" effects of this film, I can't comment on the BD, but it was plenty apparent to me when the film switched to "3D" in the theatrical version that I saw. The "3D", as it was shot, worked okay for me, because I generally find all of the "poke out" effects in 3D movies to be mostly cheesy, tossed in nonsense. The tossed in nature of such effects becomes abundantly apparent when the same film is viewed in "2D".

Same here. I didn't like the movie much but I still thought it was one of the best uses of 3-D that I've seen because it was used to immerse you in the Tron world rather than going for the more gaudy stuff-flying-out-of-the-screen 3-D effects.

GregK

Screenwriter

Why does everyone keep referring to the opened up sequences as being in IMAX? They weren't shot in IMAX.

It's true these were not "shot" in IMAX. But given these select segments were only "opened up" in IMAX showings, I can somewhat understand the generic usage in this case.

Given the director (gimmick or not) planned to have these scenes opened up for IMAX presentations, I wonder if they were rendered out natively at a higher resolution? ..Given hardly any of it was "shot" at all?

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by GregK

It's true these were not "shot" in IMAX. But given these select segments were only "opened up" in IMAX showings, I can somewhat understand the generic usage in this case.

Given the director (gimmick or not) planned to have these scenes opened up for IMAX presentations, I wonder if they were rendered out natively at a higher resolution? ..Given hardly any of it was "shot" at all?

If I remember correctly from reading the American Cinematographer, the director did it to make the 3D seem more immersive. I don't know if the movie screens in America are constant width, because otherwise I don't see the point of it at all, apart from watching it on a television screen at home.

GregK

Screenwriter
Yes- Typical North American movie screens are indeed constant height oriented, with the exception of IMAX screens. With IMAX, it's time to fit a 2.35 or 1.85 image as big as possible onto a (typical) 1.43 IMAX screen. Even if slight side cropping is incurred, the end result is a somewhat letterboxed image on the IMAX screen, with empty space at the top and bottom. This is why only the IMAX presentations of TRON LEGACY had the switching aspect ratios.

(On a quick sidenote: Some years back, Jim Cameron had looked into using different aspect ratios for STRANGE DAYS, with the VR sequences being in 1.85, but the idea was abandoned because typical 35mm screens are constant height. ..I suppose if Mr. Cameron had planned an IMAX release.....)

I watched a portion of TRON LEGACY late last night, and the switching aspect ratio shifts of the first part of the grid didn't bother me. Given I have a 16x9 screen, the 3-D and aspect ratio shift did help to provide a slightly more immersed feel. Personally, I would have opened up to 16x9 whenever in "the grid", which would also have it coincide with the shift from 2-D to 3-D. But I'm not the director, so it's just my two cents worth.

If I remember correctly from reading the American Cinematographer, the director did it to make the 3D seem more immersive. I don't know if the movie screens in America are constant width, because otherwise I don't see the point of it at all, apart from watching it on a television screen at home.

BillyGil

Insider
Real Name
Billy Gil
‘Tron’ Directors Greet Fans, Answer Questions Via Twitter 6 Apr, 2011 By: Billy Gil

tronWEB.jpg

Steven Lisberger and Joe Kosinski

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Fans lined up at a Best Buy in West Hollywood in hopes of getting their copies of Tron and Tron: Legacy signed by the directors of those films, who gathered April 5 for the films’ home video releases from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment and for an online Q&A via Twitter.

Tron: Legacy director Joe Kosinski said he was particularly impressed with the Blu-ray’s “Second Screen” feature, which syncs a device such as a tablet or laptop with the Blu-ray as it plays and allows users to access such material as art and storyboards, while the Blu-ray is playing. He also likes that side stories from the film were able to be fleshed out in the short film “The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed,” which also is included on the Blu-ray.

Read more at http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/tron-directors-greet-fans-answer-questions-via-twitter-23578

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thanks for the link. I particularly enjoyed this line about Lisberger's feelings on the original TRON coming to Blu:

"Of the original Tron, Lisberger said going back to digitally remaster the film was like he had “died and gone to movie heaven.”"

My TRON/TRON: Legacy 5-disc ser arrived from Amazon yesterday (along with the TRON: Reconfigured score), so my weekend is already planned out for me!

Originally Posted by BillyGil

tronWEB.jpg

Steven Lisberger and Joe Kosinski

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Fans lined up at a Best Buy in West Hollywood in hopes of getting their copies of Tron and Tron: Legacy signed by the directors of those films, who gathered April 5 for the films’ home video releases from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment and for an online Q&A via Twitter.

Tron: Legacy director Joe Kosinski said he was particularly impressed with the Blu-ray’s “Second Screen” feature, which syncs a device such as a tablet or laptop with the Blu-ray as it plays and allows users to access such material as art and storyboards, while the Blu-ray is playing. He also likes that side stories from the film were able to be fleshed out in the short film “The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed,” which also is included on the Blu-ray.

Read more at http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/tron-directors-greet-fans-answer-questions-via-twitter-23578

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

They probably are referring to the IMAX presentation of the film rather than how the film was being shot. In all non-IMAX theaters, be it Digital 3D or 35mm, the film was shown strictly as a 2.35:1 presentation. On IMAX screens, both 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 aspect ratios were used. For lack of a better description, I think that's where the terminology has come from. It's not entirely accurate (as you point out, the film wasn't shot in IMAX) but I think that that wording is probably the least confusing was to describe it to the average viewer.

-------

In other, random, 3-D related thoughts:

I liked the 3-D effects in the film, although the 3-D probably won't blow anyone's mind the way something like Avatar did; but I think that's OK. I think the filmmaker's intent here was to create a completely immersive experience, and 3-D was only one of many tools they used to do so. I actually found myself more wow-ed by the 1.78:1 footage than the 3-D effects overall; when Sam enters the grid, we get a little 3-D and it looks cool, and it's different enough to suggest a different kind of world -- but when he looks up and sees that Recognizer for the first time and the frame opens up, that was the "wow" moment for me.

The more objective, rational part of me understands that Tron Legacy is probably not a great film, but the part of me that just straight-up loves movies and the whole movie-going experience loved, loved, loved this movie. It's for that reason it was my favorite movie of 2010 - not because it was smart, intellectual film like The Social Network (which I loved) or an inspiring story like The King's Speech (which I also really liked), but because it showed me a world I had never seen before, and for the two hours it ran, really made me feel like I was in that world. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun going to a movie. And the former film school kid in me was absolutely blown away by the low-light design of the whole film. There are a lot of scenes where most of the light comes from either just the costumes or from the floors of the sets, just up against the edge of what you can shoot and still make sense out of visually, and they did that beautifully. The Daft Punk score, and how the music and effects were often seemlessly integrated, was also a major factor for the immersive quality. I don't know that I've ever seen a film that was so immersive overall, where 3-D was used and yet wasn't the primary means of achieving that immersion. (Although, as far as 3-D effects go... has the Disney logo ever looked cooler than it did on this movie?)

I was a little worried about how it would look in 2-D on Blu-ray (I don't have a 3-D TV yet...hopefully I'll win the lottery one of these years...) but I'm surprised at how well this holds up minus the 3-D. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait until the day I can watch it in 3-D at home, but this 2-D version is surprisingly satisfying. That the IMAX framing was kept for the Blu-ray was the biggest surprise to me, and I think losing those shots would have taken more away than losing the 3-D. I can't believe I, a 3-D junkie, who is calling Tron Legacy his favorite movie of the year, is actually saying the 3-D may have had so little to do with that.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Josh, that's a perfect description of what I loved about Tron: Legacy. It was immersive, fun, and interesting to look at & listen to.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I saw it in regular 3D, not at an IMAX, and I had no knowledge of this dual aspect ratio business until reading about it here, long after the fact. It sounds to me like they did the right thing in giving us that version on the BD. Now I can't wait to watch it this weekend, both in 3D and 2D.

Add me to the list of those lamenting the dearth of extra features on Legacy. Seriously, what's up with that?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I saw this film in 3D in the theater. After watching it on Blu last night (2D) I will say that I enjoyed the 2D version much better and will add that it seems the 2D version had better depth of field over it's 3D version. The sound field on this disc is one of the best I've ever heard, absolutely stunning and enveloping.

As for the shifting AR, it's does one thing, distracts from the viewing experience. Every time it changed it caught my eye and took away from being immersed in the film. I really wish directors would stop doing this and if they must, please, give us both versions so I can watch the film in the 2.35:1 AR, the format that I saw in the theater.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
You're right, though -- both should have been included in the package.

You said you watched the Blu-ray in 2D, so I'm wondering if the shifting AR makes more sense in 3D. Well, I'll be finding out soon enough.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I thought the 3D presentation was very well done. I do agree the 3D effects don't add a ton but in general give the movie some pop and depth. More I watch 3D movies more I enjoy the format!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by cafink

Josh, that's a perfect description of what I loved about Tron: Legacy. It was immersive, fun, and interesting to look at & listen to.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. I can't explain exactly why but the movie has really stuck with me, and I'm thinking about putting together a blog post or an essay or something along those lines to try to figure out why. I can't remember if HTF allows links to be posted or not, but if so, when it's done I'd be glad to put it up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.