JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I expect the BDP-83 is the way to go. Is it available yet?

crozz614

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I have the Oppo and let me say, no need to look any further. It does everything you need, it's fast and it is the most bang for your buck. Yes it is available from Oppo direct. You will not find a better player

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by JohnRice

I expect the BDP-83 is the way to go. Is it available yet?
I have mine a couple of mos. According to their website it has a 'buy' option so it should be available.

Real Name
Nick Borders
So far everything I've read about it is very positive and I'll probably go with that one. But I'm curious why is the Oppo BDP-83 so much cheaper than other Blu-Ray/SACD players out there?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by stud_wit_style

So far everything I've read about it is very positive and I'll probably go with that one. But I'm curious why is the Oppo BDP-83 so much cheaper than other Blu-Ray/SACD players out there?
Oppo is known for offering high quality components at a lower price than the major manufacturers, so the price point on the BDP-83 is right about where I would expect it to be.

If I didn't already own a BD player, an Oppo SD-DVD player and a separate Sony ES SACD player, I would be ordering a BDP-83. If something happens to my Sony BD player, though, the Oppo will be its replacement.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by stud_wit_style

For the most part, their sales are direct to consumers. When one goes through the standard retail chain it goes through more hands with more mark-up. I have a Marantz DV9600 as well (in the main system) and while I think the DV9600 is better on SACD than the Oppo, the Oppo is not at all embarrassed by it (in fact has a slightly better controlled lower end) and the Marantz was $2k. My bedroom system is on the other side of the wall to the main system (pictured) and at some point I'm going to try a comparison via HDMI for SACD to the Oppo 980 which is hooked to a Marantz SR6300 receiver. The HDMI cable is sitting there already. I don't have HDMI yet in the main system and it is nice to have the Oppo for Blu-Ray with analog outs. The Samsung 2500 I have in the bedroom has analog outs but no level controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks