What's new

New 5.1 System ? (need affirmation!!) (1 Viewer)

venk4u

Auditioning
Real Name
venk
I have put together a new 5.1 system with following components.

Pioneer 1019 receiver
Klipsch ICON floor standing speakers (VF36)
Klipsch Center Channel speaker (VC-25 )
Klipsch subwoofer 12" (SUB 12)
Klipsch in-ceiling speakers (KHC6) [my wife hates speakers protruding from the wall; have to hide them in ceiling]
SAMSUNG Blu Ray (4600)

I am in no way a expert; Is the above a good thought process? i still have time to cancel the order; if there are better suggestions.

Also; has anyone considered Klipsch against speakers from "The Speaker Company"

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
don't know where you are with this. klipsch makes fine speakers. as with all speakers, the question is do YOU like the way they sound? ideally you should listen to speakers before you buy them. sometimes this is not possible. in those instances, you should at least do some head to head listening of other products at, above and below your price point. that way, when you get your new speakers you have a basis for comparison. (keep in mind the room has a lot to do with the sound you hear, so the same speakers can sound massively different in your room at home than in a showroom.)

in general you want to buy the best speakers (again, best is determined by your ears alone) you can afford. those dollars will have the biggest impact on what you hear. skimp on your surrounds ad AVR if you have to cut corners.

all of that said, the only piece of the puzzle i would question without hesitation is that sub. while klipsch can make some nice subs their entry 12" (at least when i was looking a few years ago) was the worst sub i listened to bar none. my price range at the time was $200-400 and after listening to at least 10 subs in 3 stores there was no question in my mind that i would be kicking myself if i didn't splurge for the $600 martin logan dynamo. not that you need or should get that sub, but in this case my ears told me what no amount of reading or surfing could. out of those other subs i auditioned the klipsch was one of the more expensive models and it was easily my least favorite. (for the record, it was plenty loud but lack any clarity or musicality, just the same big thump, thump, thump for any explosion, crash, kick drum, etc.)

hope this helps and good luck.

venk4u

Auditioning
Real Name
venk
i have only BB in my town; and don't have much options to listen either. Does anyone know about the "The Speaker Company" speakers? Of course; i haven't listened to them either.

i can definitely switch out Klipsch for Martin logan sub (if thats a better option).

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

You should listen to the speakers before you buy them, or, if you go internet direct, you can get 30 day trials to decide.

Klispch is what some will call bright. You will find most either love them or hate them. Only you can decide which camp you are in.

I'm not familiar with "The Speaker Company". It looks like they are internet direct. Other internet direct companies you can look at include SVS (still recommend their subs above all others) and Axiom Audio (my favorite).

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine

GO LiSTEN! now i don't know if your local best buy has a magnolia shop or not, but if they do you can listen to many subs including the martin logan in a controlled, acoustically treated room. BB also has the klipsch sub-12. it might take a little convincing, but they should be able to bring one in to the listening room so you can compare them side by side. if they balk ask for a manager. either way, go listen to whatever they have. (and listen to a variety of speakers while you're there too.) bring a movie (dvd) and music (cd) you like, you know well and has a good bass track to audition with.

as far as getting the dynamo over the klipsch. it was a no brainer for me but it doesnt mean it is the right sub for you. there is no question in my mind that the dynamo is the better sounding sub. BUT there is more to a sub than what you experience with your ears. if you want to shake walls, clench your a&&hole and upset the neighbors the klipsch may be preferable for you. the point is you have to experience the gear to know if it is what you really want or not.

good luck...

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
There is a critcal reason we are asking if you have listened to the speakers YOU will live with for a few years.

Many, including myself, have loved the sound of Klipsch initially. After listening to soundtracks I was familiar with I found that the highs were tiring (in the end almost annoying) to my ears. Initially I though "what a wonderful and clear sound".

You really need to take soundtracks YOU know and listen for more than just a few minutes on several different solutions. Like; AVR or Pre/Pro setups have different sound qualities, different speakers with each solution and different rooms produce varying results. (your room will sound different than the showroom most likely) Listen with the model of AVR or Pre/Pro system you have and on the speakers you want if possible. If you are like most of us here you cannot just replace your purchase with a new system weeks after a purchase.

I am in no way talking down about the Klipsch sound. If you like it then it suits your listening pallet. You will hear no criticism from me or most others if you like it. We just want you to make an informed choice because it is so difficult to back up and change after the purchase.

As far as subs go it is also a personal choice. One thing you need to realize though is that you DO NOT need to match brands of sub with speakers. SVS, HSU, and many other online sources are undoubtedly the best sources for good sub solutions. (home projects/DIY as well) If you can wait and save for one of those it will be worth the wait. This applies whether you want loud, accurate or other sound from your system. I see the sub as the anchor to your system and the most important piece to fill the sound pleasingly in just about any application.

venk4u

Auditioning
Real Name
venk
folks - i appreciate all the immediate responses; heading to BB with a music CD that i listen to often; and try my best to make the informed decision.

BTW: it is costing me around $3.5 K (with tax) for this solution. hope i am not shelling too much on this package. Am i :crazy: ?

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
That's something you will have to tell us in about 3 months.

venk4u

Auditioning
Real Name
venk
folks - went to BB last night with a music CD; changed my mind. They were supposed to install today; and i postponed indefinitely; planning to listen to few more speakers before making the decision. BTW: the Klipsch Cabernet sounded better than 3 other speakers that we compared. And Definitive SUB's were better than Martin Logan and Klipsch

Also; since my living room is a wooden floor; should i go for a down firing SUB or front firing SUB? any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott

...and SVS, HSU and Elemental Designs or the like will be that much better than those subs in most cases. Down firing vs Front firing is a personal choice and not a dependancy upon the flooring. You will get good clean bass out of either if designed properly.

Good job on listening and it seems you are narrowing down the sound you like. What did you like about them?
Speaker characterstics are subjective to the listener, the room they are in, as well as what they are driven with.

Some things you might consider are:
  • The physical look
  • The physical size
  • The sound stage - can you close your eyes and locate an image of where the instruments are located? Does this sound "forward" (close to you) or "laid back" (far away from you)?
  • The sound, is it "harsh" , "sharp" , "bright" and/or "tinny" as opposed to "warm" and soothing?
  • A speaker that sounds bright in an accoustically treated and carpeted room will sound even more harsh or sharp in a hard floor/non-acoustically treated room.

After understanding these characterstics then you need to decide what you like or dislike. Most people define these things a bit differently because it seems no two people hear quite the exact same thing and more importantly very few prefer the exact same sound, look, size, color and shape.

Please understand that these are not the ONLY characterstics that speakers present but they seem to be the most dominant. (Others may intererject here and add more or disagree)

Fun, isn't it? :eek:

venk4u

Auditioning
Real Name
venk
we listened to quiet a few combinations. We liked the following:

KlipschXF-48BLA / Floor Speakers
KlipschXW-500D / Subwoofer
KlipschXL12 / Center Channel
SpeakercraftAIM8THREE (for rear in ceiling)

We listened to the music (especially Classical / Carnatic [indian]); and hear some movie conversation; we liked the clarity in HIGH; and sounded much more better.

Currently they have it on SALE in BB; however still really high (4K) for the above. Trying to work with them to get some deals.

I was also told that XF-48 is being discontinued; and new Klipsch series may be coming.

please share your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.