09:00 - FOX - America's Most Wanted
09:00 - NBC - Trauma reruns

10:00 - CBS - 48 Hours Mystery
10:00 - NBC - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit reruns

11:00 - FOX - Wanda Sykes

11:35 - NBC - Saturday Night Live

12:00 - FOX - Animation reruns

The Bench
ABC - The Bachelor (Monday 8pm; Dancing with the Stars displaced)
ABC - Better Off Ted (Tuesday 9:30pm; Dancing With the Stars displaced)
ABC - The Deep End
ABC - Happy Town
ABC - Lost
ABC - Scrubs (Tuesday 9:00pm; Dancing With the Stars displaced)
ABC - True Beauty
ABC - V
ABC - Wife Swap

CBS - Arranged Marriage
CBS - The Bridge
CBS - Flashpoint
CBS - Miami Trauma
CBS - Rules of Engagement
CBS - Undercover Boss

CW - Parental Discretion Advised

FOX - 24 (Monday 9pm; Lie to Me displaced)
FOX - American Idol (Tuesday & Wednesday 8pm; So You Think You Can Dance displaced)
FOX - Human Target (Tuesday 9pm starting January; Glee on hiatus until spring)
FOX - Past Life (Tuesday 9pm)
FOX - Sons of Tucson (Sunday 8:30pm; Cleveland to 9:30pm, American Dad to 7:30pm)

NBC - 30 Rock (Thursday 9:30pm, Community to 8pm, displacing SNL Weekend Update)
NBC - 100 Questions (Tuesday 9:30pm, shortening The Biggest Loser)
NBC - Celebrity Apprentice (Sunday 9pm)
NBC - Chuck (Monday 8pm, displacing Heroes)
NBC - Day One (Monday 9pm, displacing Trauma)
NBC - Friday Night Lights (after DirectTV run)
NBC - The Marriage Ref (Sunday 8pm)
NBC - Mercy (Wednesday 8m, displacing Parenthood)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And people will start screaming about Fox leaving Dollhouse on Fridays at 9pm in 3...2...1...

I have to admit, I thought they'd move it somewhere else, maybe Monday or Wednesday at 9pm. Glee seems to make more sense on Friday, and Dollhouse really doesn't seem like a self-starter. I figured maybe they'd pair it with Fringe, but I guess maybe Fox doesn't want a night with 15 total minutes of commercials.

(Actually, is there any word on how the limited commercial experiment went? I love it, and wonder if maybe Human Target will have 50-minute episodes)

I like the Bones/Fringe Thursday, which will likely kill my continued watching of CW's schedule dead - I've been content to wait for reruns of Bones this year, after an experiment with TNT's crop-and-stretch re-airings, but no way I'm waiting on Fringe.

Rocky F

Second Unit
THEY KEPT DOLLHOUSE ON FRIDAY!! WHAT THE . . .!!

Just kidding, I expected as much, it's not as if it would have grown on any other night of the week, keeping it on Friday allows the show to stay kind of under the radar.

I don't have a link or anything, but I read over the weekend that the "remote-free tv" experiment will not be continuing.

Edit: Okay here's the link: http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2...emote-free-tv/

Rocky F

Second Unit
Other thoughts, Brothers and Til Death on Friday's, do they really think that is a stronger lead-in to Dollhouse than Terminator:SCC?

Two hours of SYTYCD on Tuesdays? Really didn't see that one coming, I figured one performance hour and one results hour.

Will Fringe be able to help chip away CSI's already declining ratings? I really didn't expect Fox to be that aggressive Thursday's at 9, I expected another round of one of the Gordan Ramsey shows to stay there.

Can't wait to see the rest of the net's schedules through the week.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The time of year of either jumping for joy, or getting really pissed off.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The Simpsons being the only thing preventing Sundays from becoming Seth McFarlane night.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Does that mean Fringe and Dollhouse will now have standard 42-minute runtimes, or just that no more shows will be given the extra minutes? Of course, I half-suspect that they've been structuring it so that 5 minutes or so can be taken out for third-run anyway (Fringe occasionally used the extra time for in-story recap of previous events).

As for Dollhouse, I guess the comedies can't be any worse a lead-in than Terminator, which was a disaster. Maybe they figure it's going to do what it's going to do regardless of lead-in, but another 13-22 episodes might be worth it for the parent company long-term: Whedon's other shows are still making them money via DVD/cable/merchandise. I think that Fox Home Video would really like it if they had another box of Firefly they could sell. It wouldn't have been worth giving the show a five-year run, but a second year where you don't have to build new big, expensive sets on these shows might be good investment, especially on a night where the affiliates don't particularly mind that the network is hurting their 10pm newscast.

I like Fringe going to Thursday. It's aggressive, but Thursday is one of the two most valuable nights on the schedule for advertisers, and the days of networks punting a night just because there's an established hit are long gone. It's a good fit with Bones without being too similar.

NBC does their schedule tomorrow; I'm really curious to see what havoc Leno will wreak on it.

Rocky F

Second Unit
The way I read the article, it sounded like the "Remote-Free TV" concept is being scrapped entirely, meaning traditional run-times for "Fringe" and "Dollhouse" next season. I really liked the concept myself, "Fringe will return in 90 seconds" equalled "push your 30-second skip button 3 times." Never failed, nearly perfect commercial free tv
(except for the last break of course.)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Where else could they move Dollhouse really? Friday allows a low-rated show to still get advertisers. How easily could they attract advertisers to a 1.4 show on a Monday up against.. what, Heroes?

I think Fridays gives it the best shot it has at getting a full season.

I know the T:SCC fans are pissed. But the reality is, Fox gave it more run then almost any other network would have. They gave it the first year to find an audience, and even though it was on the bubble, they brought it back.

I think the same rules go for Dollhouse.. it either comes out swinging and improves, or it's gone. And that's all fans can expect.

BTW: Most of this thought is admittedly stolen in bits & pieces from the talkback on tvbythenumbers

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Why do you say that Glee makes sense for Friday?

By the constnat promotion of that show, they expect to be a hit and Friday is not prime real estate.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Even though it's set in a high school, Glee sort of strikes me as the sort of thing that would appeal mainly to an older audience, kind of like Friday Night Lights. That sort of show can carve itself a niche on Friday, plus might be a better pairing with the comedies.

The premise of the argument is that Dollhouse wouldn't be a 1.4 show on Mondays - it would get a boost from House, its target audience wouldn't be out at the movies/drinking/dancing/whatever, its supposed fans wouldn't be madly yelling "Friday Death Slot!" and making it seem doomed before it starts. (Okay, those making this argument don't usually include that last point)

I think there's some merit to the argument - there are more people watching TV on Monday than Friday, and even with the same percentage, it would get more eyeballs - but I'm also pretty sure that if Fox put it in a desirable timeslot, there'd be screams over how it needed protection and they put it on right up against Heroes/Lost/whatever. There's no winning with fans once things don't go the way they want.

Not that there necessarily should be; second-guessing is one of the perks of being a fan rather than in the business.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

I'm with you on NBC. I can't imagine what their prime time schedule will look like. Two hours a day for five days, and three for the weekends? 16 total hours? Considering that Saturday nights might be written off by NBC completely, that would be 13 hours.

Will they still have three hours of Law and Order? How many hours of reality (The Biggest Loser, etc), which reduces scripted shows? Sad to see them brought to this.

By the way, too bad they axed Kings. It was one show that they had that I liked.

Rocky F

Second Unit

Don't forget, Sunday nights is all football for NBC during the fall, so that cuts it all the way down to 10 hours a week, at least until January.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, initially, NBC will be giving their entire Sunday night schedule over to unscripted programming, although many folks generally don't count sports as such.
They also only have two hours of Law & Order - the original and Special Victims Unit; Criminal Intent runs on USA and reruns get used as filler by NBC. I'm guessing that a lot of the unscripted stuff gets held over until after football season, and they make their annual attempt to hold Law & Order back, only to have it show up in October because something has tanked and tanked hard.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Well, once again, I'll be watching most of Fox's programming. The only shows I definately won't watch are 'Till Death (because I watched the first couple) and Bones, because I... well right now it doesn't appeal to me. I'll probably fall in love with it on DVD.

I absouletly can not wait for So You Think You Can Dance!!!!!!!! ;0 I like it even more then American Idol. Have they announced if King of the Hill is officially going to ABC? Anyword on the Wandy Sykes show or Mental?

Is there a thread for "What I'll be Watching this season!"

Ryan

Rocky F

Second Unit

Well, you don't have to wait much longer for SYTYCD. The summer season starts this Thursday, and I'm guessing there will only be a month or two delay between it's finale and the fall premiere.

ABC said a while back that they will NOT be picking up King of the Hill, but there are about 6 unaired episodes that are still not currently scheduled to air.

Wanda Sykes talk show was discussed in the press release, it will get the old MadTV spot as expected, Spike Ferensten (sp?) is cancelled.

Nothing was mentioned for Mental, but if it performs well this summer, I'm sure they could add it to the midseason lineup as a fill in, like CBS did with Flashpoint this season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So much for watching "Fringe", I guess. I'm already busy Thursday nights, so I use my recorder for "Supernatural." "Fringe" is a good show, but it will not trump "Supernatural." ;)

Rocky F

Second Unit
Update to something I posted earlier, it looks like "Remote-Free TV" might not be completely dead after all. It's mentioned in this article about a new advertising gimmick Fox has come up with, "Alive Air."

Fox to introduce 'Alive Air'--The Live Feed

MAY 18, 2009
Fox to introduce 'Alive Air'
Fox executives said RemoteFreeTV isn't entirely finished, but they do have a new initiative they're introducing to advertisers: "Alive Air."

Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly described "Alive" as adding engaging elements during the commercial pods. The network has experimented with this during the spring adding, for example, Gordon Ramsay answering viewer mail during a brief segment in the middle of a "Hell's Kitchen" commercial break.

The network is working with advertisers to create such interstitials for fall. As for RemoteFreeTV, where shows featured about half as many ads on "Fringe" and "Dollhouse," the premium option will still be available on specific episodes should advertisers request it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I bet other networks would kill to have something like Law & Order or CSI. Solid ratings, you can replace cast members without an outcry if they start to get demanding or expensive (although we'll see what happens if Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay don't agree to new contracts on SVU), re-runs extremely well because it's almost totally non-serial, and it launches spin-offs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks