Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Avoiding all possible charges on iPhone when traveling abroad

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,307 posts

Posted May 02 2009 - 12:31 AM

I will be traveling to and around the Caribbean in a few weeks and I am a little concerned about any roaming or other extra charges made to my iPhone. I don't plan to use the iPhone other than as an alarm clock. For that reason, I don't want to be charged for data or even incoming voice mail while the non-phone functions are in use. Can someone please tell me all the things I need to turn off. Thanks

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted May 02 2009 - 09:43 AM

If you put it in Airplane mode -- no charges are possible. You can then turn on Wifi (with the phone still in Airplane mode) so you can use local hotspots (plentiful in many countries).
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Quincy

Quincy

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted May 02 2009 - 12:48 PM

I agree with this, I went on a cruise to the Bahamas and had my iphone in airplane mode the 4 days I was gone, no problem with roaming charges at all.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted May 04 2009 - 04:13 PM

I never knew you could turn on Wifi while on Airplane mode! Neat! but yes, Airplane mode does make you safe when abroad.

#5 of 9 ONLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,220 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 04:10 AM

And don't forget that with the free Skype app it will be possible to actually utilize the iPhone to make phone calls via Wifi while in Ariplane mode!!
Joseph
---------------

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 07:59 AM

Indeed, first downloaded and used Skype when I was in Costa Rica, and the call quality was pristine. Highly recommended for travelers.
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,820 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 19 2009 - 07:44 AM

I'm in Ottawa on business this week. To manage cell phone charges, I switched to the North American Int'l plan for the week. I'm charged the additional amount for the int'l plan, prorated for the five days I'm here. So for $5, I can call my wife with unlimited minutes while I'm in Canada. A co-worker, who clued me in to this, also added the int'l data plan to his Blackberry for an additional $10 for the week. It took maybe 20 minutes on the phone with the (very helpful) customer service rep to work out th edetails, explain every thing to me, and get it set for the week. If AT&T offers similar, this could be an excellent solution to traveling abraod with an iPhone.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted May 22 2009 - 11:00 AM

They do offer business users an unlimited int'l data plan for $65/month. Comes in handy when you are traveling in Europe where there is generally better 3G coverage than AT&T offers in the U.S.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,820 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 22 2009 - 12:11 PM

Well, I was talking with an iPhone owner at my conference and he said the int'l data plan for Canada is very expensive. (something like $10 for 5 MB) I don't know how that relates to the int'l plan that Michael suggests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users