Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Researching Market Values

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted April 09 2009 - 08:30 PM

Hello everyone! I used to be very active here when I was in the midst of purchasing my home theater a few years ago. But, alas, I've fallen on hard times and need to sell my equipment and software, so I'm performing some market research. I'm looking for information on what dollar values I could expect to obtain for the following. PLEASE NOTE that this is NOT a for sale post. I'm not selling these items on the home theater forum (nor am I selling them in this thread). I'm performing basic market research. Once the time comes to sell I plan on going through other channels to sell. Toshiba 42H83 HDTV-ready Rear Projection TV SVS Cylinder Subwoofer Onkyo TX-SR601 Receiver Pair of Infinity Primus 250 Speakers Infinity Primus C25 Center Speaker Panasonic DVD –S27 Progressive Scan DVD Player Xbox 360 (titles listed at the end of the DVD Titles) Playstation 2 (titles listed at the end of the the DVD Titles) IKEA dark grey Home Theater Cabinet 247 DVD Titles ------------------ Spiderman Spiderman 2 Spiderman 3 Kill Bill Vol. 1 Kill Bill Vol. 2 Saving Private Ryan Saturday Night Fever Swordfish Artificial Intelligence Sunset Boulevard The Birds Galaxy Quest King of New York Unbreakable XXX Total Recall Click Blade Trinity Beverly Hills Cop Beverly Hills Cop 2 Pulp Fiction Dragon Heart Stargate I Robot The Terminator Terminator 2: Judgement Day Extreme DVD AKIRA Scarface: 2-Disc Anniversary Edition Hoosiers Planet Of The Apes Canadian Bacon The Fugitive Fight Club Airforce One Dumb and Dumber Hook Princess Mononoke Almost Famous: Unrated Deep Impact Andy Kaufman Midnight Special Fatal Attraction Die Hard Die Hard 2 Die Hard With a Vengeance Live Free Or Die Hard Happy Gilmore South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut Speed 2001: A Space Odyssey The Craft Field of Dreams: Anniversary Edition Dead Poets Society Showgirls Boyz N the Hood A Beautiful Mind Shrek Big Trouble In Little China Broken Arrow El Mariachi/Desperado Lord of the Rings Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Patch Adams Independence Day Clerks: 10th Anniversary Edition The Naked Gun Heat Meat Loaf: VH1 Storytellers Braveheart: Special Edition Mulholland Drive Boogie Nights Elvis Presley: Jailhouse Rock Man On The Moon Star Trek VII School Of Rock Lethal Weapon 1 Lethal Weapon 2 Lethal Weapon 3 Lethal Weapon 4 King of New York Special Edition The Replacement Killers Glory The Mummy Payback 50 First Dates Elf The Untouchables 007: Die Another Day North By Northwest Anchorman (Widescreen) Chasing Amy Braveheart (Standard) Rebecca The Exorcist Se7en Top Secret! Enemy of the State (standard) Hearts In Atlantis Dark City High Noon Rainman Supersize Me The Score Star Trek: First contact Sarah McLachlan Video Collection: 1989 – 1998 Titanic: Standard Edition American Pie 2: Unrated Armageddon (standard) Buffy The Vampire Slayer the movie Elvis Presley: Kid Galahad Demolition Man Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Finding Nemo Sex, Lies, and Videotape The Cable Guy Memento The Terminator The Truman Show Dr. Strangelove Jackie Brown Basic Instinct (special Ice pick edition) Monty Python And the Holy Grail Walking With Dinosaurs Life The Cable Guy Cruel Intentions Wayne’s World National Treasure Chronicles of Riddick Stargate Carlito’s Way Pirates of the Caribbean Reservoir Dogs Twister Close Encounters of the Third Kind Robocop Lord of the Rings Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Devil’s Advocate Anger Management Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure XXX 2 Fast 2 Furious Face/Off True Lies Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban The Incredibles Big Daddy Rocky The Blues Brothers The Ladies Man The 40 Year Old Virgin (Unrated) Contact Interview With the Vampire Schindler’s List Rocky Horror Picture Show The Sixth Sense Eight Millimeter Meat Loaf: Hits Out Of Hell The Graduate Twin Peaks: The Complete First Season JFK Citizen Kane In the Heat Of The Night Moscow on the Hudson Back to the Future Trilogy Better Off Dead Snake Eyes Rebel Without A Cause The TAO of Steve Monty Python’s Life of Brian Blow Napoleon Dynamite Wall Street The Matrix The Matrix Reloaded The Matrix Revolutions Orange County Talladega Nights Superman: The Ultimate Collection The Simpsons Season 1 The Simpsons Season 2 The Simpsons Season 3 The Simpsons Season 4 The Simpsons Season 5 The Simpsons Season 6 The Simpsons Season 7 The Simpsons Season 8 The Simpsons Season 9 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 1 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 2 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 3 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 4 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 5 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 6 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 7 Angel Season 1 Angel Season 2 Angel Season 3 Angel Season 4 Angel Season 5 Married With Children Season 1 Married With Children Season 2 Married With Children Season 3 Married With Children Season 4 Married With Children Season 5 Married With Children Season 6 Married With Children Season 7 Married With Children Season 8 Boy Meets World Season 1 Boy Meets World Season 2 Boy Meets World Season 3 That 70s Show Season 2 Sliders Seasons 1 & 2 Sliders Season 3 Quantum Leap Season 1 Quantum Leap Season 2 Quantum Leap Season 3 Quantum Leap Season 4 Friends Season 1 Friends Season 2 Friends Season 3 Friends Season 4 Friends Season 5 Friends Season 6 Friends Season 7 Friends Season 8 Friends Season 9 Friends Season 10 Stargate SG-1 Season 1 Stargate SG-1 Season 2 Stargate SG-1 Season 3 Stargate SG-1 Season 4 Stargate SG-1 Season 5 Stargate SG-1 Season 6 Stargate SG-1 Season 7 Stargate SG-1 Season 8 Stargate SG-1 Season 9 Smallville Season 1 Smallville Season 2 Smallville Season 3 Smallville Season 4 Twilight The Butterfly Effect Xbox Titles Street Fighter: Anniversay Collection Mortal Kombat Deception Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance Crimson Skies Halo 2 Xbox 360 titles The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Playstation 2 Titles Gran Turismo 4 - Brian Harnish

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,172 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 10 2009 - 12:41 AM

If you haven't, look up final sale prices for these (or similar) items on eBay. Look for the offering prices on your local CraigsList. That gave me a good price, resulting in a quick sale on my previous TV. I don't know the used market, but my perspective is that used DVDs are worth about $1, since I can buy new DVDs from the bargain bins for $5-$7, and commonly find TV sets for $30. Good luck with your selling!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted April 10 2009 - 03:26 PM

Thank you Dave. What do you think of prices for the following? Realistic or shooting myself in the foot (no buyers)? Toshiba 42H83 HDTV-ready Rear Projection TV - $400 SVS Cylinder Subwoofer - $300 Onkyo TX-SR601 Receiver - $200 Pair of Infinity Primus 250 Speakers - $200 Infinity Primus C25 Center Speaker - $100 Panasonic DVD –S27 Progressive Scan DVD Player - $50 Xbox 360 (titles listed at the end of the DVD Titles) - $300 Playstation 2 (titles listed at the end of the the DVD Titles) - $250 IKEA dark grey Home Theater Cabinet - $50 Please note to those who are viewing this that I'm not selling. Just establishing a baseline to start selling shortly via other avenues. Thank you to all in advance for the advice- it's greatly appreciated.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted April 15 2009 - 06:41 AM

In general the prices look too high to me. If you want to move stuff you should cut those prices down. Don't think in terms of what it cost you at the time, think in terms of how much someone would be willing to spend on something older and used. Most people want to buy something new and will only consider old stuff if it is a big bargain. In general items should be priced at least half of what you paid for it, unless it is something rare or there is a large demand for it. I don't think you would be able to get that much for the gaming consoles and software. Playstation 2 in particular has been surpassed by PSX3 so I'm not sure anyone would be willing to put up $250 for that and one title. As for the SVS it's hard to judge without saying which model it is.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted April 15 2009 - 02:46 PM

I agree. Considering you can buy a brand new PS2 for $99 and Gran Turismo 4 can be bought new for $19 there's no way someone is going to give you $250 for a used PS2 and a used copy of GT4 when they could get the exact same thing new for $118. You'd probably be lucky to get $75 max. Similarly, $300 for the 360 w/ one 360 game and a handful of regular Xbox games is too high. You're probably looking at closer to max $175 there.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, and speaking of which, the PS2 is still going pretty strong.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim_F

Jim_F

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 04:35 AM

I haven't used halfdotcom in a few years, but I found it was a fast way to move software in the past. For market research, it's a simple matter to check going rates on the site. Just undercut the selling prices by a little and get ready for lots of trips to the post office.
"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember."

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,172 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 12:01 PM

For reference, this year I sold the following. Both to coworkers. Both quick, easy sales. $150 for 2002 36" Sony WEGA HDTV CRT $50 for Nintendo GameCube, 2 controllers, 7 games Re: Xbox 360. Last Winter, the 360 with 60 GB drive and two games sold normally for $299. So a used unit, probably with 20GB drive and one used game for $300 is overpriced. SVS sub for $300 seems reasonable, but I've not checked new price for that specific sub. Your price for the TV is a reasonable starting point and might sell for that much. $200 for the Onkyo receiver seems not unreasonable, at least as the asking price. I should be a couple years newer than my 2001 model, and would have HD component video switching, multiple TOSlink and RCA digital inputs, 5.1 DD and DPL IIx. Good luck!

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,172 posts

Posted April 19 2009 - 04:54 AM

Was at BestBuy this morning: new progressive scan DVD players start at $40 (normal retail, no sale). The new Toshiba super upconverting player is $60. No way a used DVD player will fetch $50. Maybe $20?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users