What's new

B&K Ref 50 - Speaker Levels (1 Viewer)

bjedstrom

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Is there a common speaker level for the B&K Ref 50? The volume seems a little low to me and was wondering if by increasing the speaker level that would help. I have the 5.1 setup with two pre amps (1 for the l,c,r) and one for surround.

thanks in advance.
bryan

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
You must mean 2 power amps, not pre amps. You can't run 2 Pre amps.

Dean Arizona

Agent
Bryan

I own the B&K Ref 50. You'll find that the volume range on this processor is quite broad. As a user, you see that the lowest volume level starts at "96" and as you increase the volume, the numbers get lower. I listen to two channel stereo very comfortably at around "30" (that's 66 points up from the low point of 96) on the volume meter and I listen to movies at around "15". B&K gives you such a broad range in order to allow you to finely tune the volume at very small increments. The amount of power you use to drive your speakers does not impact the volume gain (although more power will likely improve the performance of your speakers).

In your set up menu, make sure that you have calibrated your speakers with an SPL meter at around 75dbls - c weight/slow (80 dbls is ok since that level can be easier to read on an analog meter). What you don't want to do is calibrate your speakers at a higher output level as this will cause distortion during playback.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks