Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

B&K Ref 50 - Speaker Levels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   bjedstrom

bjedstrom

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 03:31 AM

Is there a common speaker level for the B&K Ref 50? The volume seems a little low to me and was wondering if by increasing the speaker level that would help. I have the 5.1 setup with two pre amps (1 for the l,c,r) and one for surround.

thanks in advance.
bryan

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedstrom
Is there a common speaker level for the B&K Ref 50? The volume seems a little low to me and was wondering if by increasing the speaker level that would help. I have the 5.1 setup with two pre amps (1 for the l,c,r) and one for surround.

thanks in advance.
bryan
You must mean 2 power amps, not pre amps. You can't run 2 Pre amps.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Dean Arizona

Dean Arizona

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 02:01 PM

Bryan

I own the B&K Ref 50. You'll find that the volume range on this processor is quite broad. As a user, you see that the lowest volume level starts at "96" and as you increase the volume, the numbers get lower. I listen to two channel stereo very comfortably at around "30" (that's 66 points up from the low point of 96) on the volume meter and I listen to movies at around "15". B&K gives you such a broad range in order to allow you to finely tune the volume at very small increments. The amount of power you use to drive your speakers does not impact the volume gain (although more power will likely improve the performance of your speakers).

In your set up menu, make sure that you have calibrated your speakers with an SPL meter at around 75dbls - c weight/slow (80 dbls is ok since that level can be easier to read on an analog meter). What you don't want to do is calibrate your speakers at a higher output level as this will cause distortion during playback.

I hope this helps.