Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Car Audio Question: Is A Sub Necessary For Good Bass?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:37 AM

I drive a 2002 Saturn SL2. It came with the factory stereo, including a CD player, which means the head unit/receiver and four speakers. The sound was more than good enough for me, including the volume and bass levels.

However, over the last year, the CD player in the system has crapped out. It only sporadically plays store-bought music CDs, and never plays CD-Rs, though for many years it played both with no problems at all.

I've found some good receivers for very reasonable prices (between $75 and $125), but am concerned that replacing the receiver means I'll lose my bass if I don't also buy and install a subwoofer with it. Two cars ago when I replaced my factory stereo with one from Crutchfield, the system worked great but had zero bass output, and everything sounded tinny.

If any of you are knowledgeable enough, here are my queries:

Are there decent receivers that provide reasonable bass without requiring a separate sub purchase? (For reference, I'm looking at something like the Sony CDX-GT330 for the replacement unit.)

Is it possible that my car has a factory standard sub and I could just use with the new receiver? Is there any way I could tell if there is one?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated - car audio is admittedly not a strong point in my technical knowledge database. Posted Image
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
Sound Performer
The CDX-GT330 features a 24-Bit D/A converter, which oversamples the digital signal, creating a more natural sound and better imaging.

Dial in your sound using Sony's EQ3 parametric equalization, with 7 presets offering a wide variety of solutions, or make individual Low/Mid/High adjustments.

For more powerful low-end, use the preamp out for an external amp/subwoofer.

That head unit you picked has a selectable EQ, so you can choose how much bass you get.

Yes, it is POSSIBLE that your car has a factory sub, but you'll have to look for it. It'll usually be in the trunk. Look for something like a circular vent on one of the sides of the trunk.

If you wanted MORE bass, however, you could get a sub.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 02:44 PM

Thanks. I had the Sony unit installed a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy with the sound quality and amount of bass.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 27 2009 - 08:23 AM

It's necessary to annoy the hell out of people stopped near you at stop lights!

Sorry, just venting. It's epidemic around here! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 08:38 PM

Quote:

The vibrating license plate is far more annoying than any subwoofer.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Sorry, just venting. It's epidemic around here! Posted Image
You practically stole my line. I was going to tell Michael that a sub is definitely necessary.........unless you live anywhere near me!!! Posted Image Posted Image

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hedtke

Bruce
I'll take it one step further and say that the type of music is what's most annoying. Posted Image

At least crank something that's worth listening to!!!

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 29 2009 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hedtke

Bruce

The what???
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 29 2009 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, a good sub is necessary if you want to loosen every bolt and screw in the car and irritate the hell out of everyone around you. Otherwise, not so much. And I don't find them measurably less irritating when they're cranking out good music - because often I can't tell what kind of music goes with the thumping vibrations that are assailing me. I used to have an office on the 9th floor of a building, directly above the drive-through window for the bank on the main floor. Stuff used to literally rattle on my desk when some cars came through there, and that's not with the windows open, either. (The windows couldn't be opened. Apparently they knew that cars with subs were going go come through the drive-through and took precautions to prevent anyone hurling down heavy objects on the malefactors or simply jumping to put an end to his/her misery. Posted Image)

And stay the hell offa my lawn! Whippersnappers! Posted Image

Joe

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 03 2009 - 11:44 AM

Quote:
Car Audio Question: Is A Sub Necessary For Good Bass?

Apparently a car isn't even necessary for good bass. Posted Image I guess you no longer need four wheels and an engine to be an annoying idiot. Not sure if this is progress. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 07:24 AM

There's a difference between good bass and rattle the bolts off your car bass.
"Bobby is and idiot"

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow