What's new
World Wide Stereo

Parametric Eq needed (1 Viewer)

Patri858

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Hi everyone,

I have one pb10-nsd and just placed an order for a second one. With the backorder it should be here in a few weeks. I have never had two subs before but I know how to hook it up and everything. The problem I think I am going to run into is big peaks and nulls that I am already seeing with one sub. I am planning on stacking them.

The EQ's i have looked at are the Beringer feedback destroyer which has gotten some good reviews and the Velodyne sms-1. Im pretty new to HT but would be willing to learn how to manually set one up.

I also see that the back of the Beringer only has the XLR inputs? what is that and how would I plug in two subs?

The REAL question is; Do you think the Beringer would be too complicated for a newbie to master or should I go with the easier auto cal of the sms-1?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Patri858

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Yeah I was thinking about that but I only paid about $800 for my subs and I probably wont have that kind of money for a few months which will be outside of there preorder price. So the price for the sub eq would be the same as the subs themselves. Do you think this would be overkill. The Velodyne is half the price but I was wondering what people thought about it before I laid down about $400 on an EQ. I will keep the SVS in mind because I know anything coming from that company has got to be good.

I guess my max budget would be about $400 for now and then see what kind of reviews the SVS gets when it starts to ship.

Any other opinions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The BFD also has 1/4" mono phono plugs as well. All you need is a set of RCA to 1/4" adapters from Radio Shack for about $4 each. I'm only using the right channel of my BFD so you can use it in stereo for 2 subs or use a Y adapter like me to send the signal to 2 subs.

All you need for the BFD is an SPL meter, test tone disc and Microsoft Excel. If you want to spend some more then a calibrated mic, a PC with great sound card and MIDI cable will allow you to make real-time changes to the BFD using free software.

With Sonny's BFD instructions anyone can set up the EQ. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out which buttons did what. Add another hour to plot the frequency response and tweak it in Excel. 5 more minutes to enter all of the setting into the BFD and I was done.

-Robert

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I agree with Robert. The BFD is fairly easy to understand and use once you read over Sonny's instructions. As far as cabling, I'm using RCA to XLR cables to go from the receiver to BFD, then from BFD to the sub.

Patri858

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
I just read over his guide at home theater shack and I have a y cable ready for the twin subs. So in order to use this I will just run one sub cable from my reciever to the bfd and use the adapter, then use another adapeter and use the y-cable attached to the two subs and then to the two subs? I think thats what you said right? Then I just set the input volume and then download the REW and finish off the measurements and settings?

I think I got it. For $100 bucks I wont really expect something amazing but from what I have heard about it, it should be a marked improvement.

Thanks Clinton, Rob, and Cameron

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
One option that is also under $400.00 and is automatic setup is the VLSI Anti-Mode 8033B. Available for direct shipping from Finland. It is truly "plug and play," with setup taking approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Made a significant difference in my room. There is a fairly significant thread about it on AVS Forums (Best Sub EQ under $400 is the name of the thread), and one of the VLSI reps (TEL79) posts there frequently with explanation and setup tips.

Anti-Mode 8033B - VLSI Store

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the improvement a properly implemented BFD will give you. My DIY subs had an inductance hump of 15db at 54hz. That is the downside of using drivers that have more than 30mm of one way excursion. It was a boomy mess and I listened to it for less than 24 hours that way. My subs are now flat from 80hz down to 17hz.

-Robert

Patri858

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
"One option that is also under $400.00 and is automatic setup is the VLSI Anti-Mode 8033B. Available for direct shipping from Finland. It is truly "plug and play," with setup taking approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Made a significant difference in my room. There is a fairly significant thread about it on AVS Forums (Best Sub EQ under $400 is the name of the thread), and one of the VLSI reps (TEL79) posts there frequently with explanation and setup tips."

I guess I should have done a little better job of researching. I had no idea about this one.

Thanks ill read up about it and get back to you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks