What's new

Bash Plate Amp (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Hi guys,
I need to get a 500 watt plate amp to power a computer sub I'm building. Parts express has 2 that will satisfy my needs:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-752
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-806

They are similarly priced and have similar features, save for 2 points. The bash has infinitly variable phase from 0 to 180 degrees. The Dayton has parametric EQ and a 0 or 180 degree phase switch. I don't know which would be more useful, the highly variable phase or the paremetric EQ, what do you guys think? This will be the deciding factor for me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
EQ is going to be more useful than variable phase. What are you powering with it? I have a 15" with a 350W amp in a big room and it's plenty.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So how did you arrive at a 500w amp? I read the specs for them and it says Pmax is 150W each, and also has a *NOTE saying that you should be able to achieve max output with less power than that. It looks like a nice driver (xbl^2), but all specs listed showed it to be intended for use in auto sound, not home sound. Fs is 32Hz, and shows it recommended to use a subsonic filter at 30Hz or 25Hz in vented alignments, which means they aren't going to dig real deep.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Well, the Dayton plate amp "only" puts out 273 watts into 8ohmns, which is my only wiring option. Also, I'm not purchasing these drivers to use in this sub, I just happened to have them laying around, I purchased them over a year ago but I haven't installed them in any car because of money constraints. I'm only using it in conjunction with my computer, I don't intend for it to be used with a theater system. Plus, all I need to buy is the wood, amp and port, which should be under 300 easily, a pretty cheep sub if you ask me.

Also, I can use this amp later down the road if/when I put these kodas in my car and I get another woofer to use.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Ok, final alignment:
Dayton 500w plate amp
17 inch cube
either 25 or 28hz tuning frequency
1 4 inch port (obviously length will depend on the frequency I choose, but the 4 inch port kit from Partsexpress will work for either).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know if that amp has a subsonic filter, so 28hz might be a better choice so they don't bottom out. Seems like those drivers will give you some nice punch. That't a lot of x-max for an 8" driver :)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Hmmmmm, the manual doesn't say anything about a rumble filter, although I'm not too worried. I won't really be using this thing for anything but music and maybe the ocasional DVD. I'm thinking 28hz is a better choice myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks