Bash Plate Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jonathan T, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Hi guys,
    I need to get a 500 watt plate amp to power a computer sub I'm building. Parts express has 2 that will satisfy my needs:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-752
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-806

They are similarly priced and have similar features, save for 2 points. The bash has infinitly variable phase from 0 to 180 degrees. The Dayton has parametric EQ and a 0 or 180 degree phase switch. I don't know which would be more useful, the highly variable phase or the paremetric EQ, what do you guys think? This will be the deciding factor for me.

2. John S

John S Producer

I vote EQ... That is a cool feature to have on your sub for sure.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    EQ is going to be more useful than variable phase. What are you powering with it? I have a 15" with a 350W amp in a big room and it's plenty.

4. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

2 Koda 8s that I have laying around.

5. John Garcia

John
    So how did you arrive at a 500w amp? I read the specs for them and it says Pmax is 150W each, and also has a *NOTE saying that you should be able to achieve max output with less power than that. It looks like a nice driver (xbl^2), but all specs listed showed it to be intended for use in auto sound, not home sound. Fs is 32Hz, and shows it recommended to use a subsonic filter at 30Hz or 25Hz in vented alignments, which means they aren't going to dig real deep.

6. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Well, the Dayton plate amp "only" puts out 273 watts into 8ohmns, which is my only wiring option. Also, I'm not purchasing these drivers to use in this sub, I just happened to have them laying around, I purchased them over a year ago but I haven't installed them in any car because of money constraints. I'm only using it in conjunction with my computer, I don't intend for it to be used with a theater system. Plus, all I need to buy is the wood, amp and port, which should be under 300 easily, a pretty cheep sub if you ask me.

Also, I can use this amp later down the road if/when I put these kodas in my car and I get another woofer to use.

7. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Ok, final alignment:
    Dayton 500w plate amp
    17 inch cube
    either 25 or 28hz tuning frequency
    1 4 inch port (obviously length will depend on the frequency I choose, but the 4 inch port kit from Partsexpress will work for either).

8. John Garcia

John
    I don't know if that amp has a subsonic filter, so 28hz might be a better choice so they don't bottom out. Seems like those drivers will give you some nice punch. That't a lot of x-max for an 8" driver [​IMG]

9. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Hmmmmm, the manual doesn't say anything about a rumble filter, although I'm not too worried. I won't really be using this thing for anything but music and maybe the ocasional DVD. I'm thinking 28hz is a better choice myself.