Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What can we do about Warner Bros?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#161 of 169 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted February 21 2009 - 11:28 AM

The big issue I have is concerning the "ultimate editions" of their classics. While I appreciate the effort, making Casablanca only a $40 gift set is ridiculous. Give us an option to go for a standard release like the HD-DVD and the UE. Now that I have BluRay, I'm irritated that I can go out and buy Casablanca at the same price as 2001 or Robin Hood '38.

If this is how Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz are going to be handled, then I'm just going to Netflix instead. Is Citizen Kane only going to be available in a $40 gift set with a miniature Rosebud sled, snow globe, and reproduction of Kane's "standards" list and a jigsaw puzzle?

PLEASE give us the option. Seriously, I'm pre-ordering Casablanca the minute it's announced as a reasonable $20 normal release like the rest of their classics.

To chime in with the audio issues, I don't see what's wrong with including PCM tracks for mono films. Criterion is doing it, so why not?

#162 of 169 Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted February 21 2009 - 02:39 PM

I think Warner has done fairly well in their Blu efforts. Sure, it is annoying to have to select the HD track every time, but it's a trade off I'll take over instant menus, trailers, ads, etc.

Too bad we can't program our players to just output the lossless track no matter what, like in the days of LaserDisc. I loved being able to just switch my processor to listen to AC3 or PCM if I wanted. No need to change the audio on the disc itself.

I'm telling you, I'd pay an extra $5-$10 from ANY studio if they guaranteed no menus, no ads, and automatic selection of lossless audio. Sure, include all the extras you want but I hate that when I pay $30 for a disc and then have to get forced to watch commercials. This isn't a DVD, it's a Blu Ray. The studios should reward their customers for paying that extra few bucks for perfection.

Grandpa LaserDisc is spinning in his grave right about now.

AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#163 of 169 John_S

John_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart

...PLEASE give us the option. Seriously, I'm pre-ordering Casablanca the minute it's announced as a reasonable $20 normal release like the rest of their classics.

I agree. I'd have owned Casablanca the day it was released if it was a normal version.

#164 of 169 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 23 2009 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S
I agree. I'd have owned Casablanca the day it was released if it was a normal version.
I'd bet that Warners will be looking closely at the sales of Casablanca whenever they release a non-deluxe version.

#165 of 169 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 02:44 PM

Quote:
I do agree that TrueHD should be the audio default.

Of course, it would be even nicer if Warner would consistently provide a lossless track to begin with.

That's my main gripe with WB: they don't seem to understand that lossless audio benefits all audio signals, not just "state of the art" modern 5.1 mixes.

Quote:
Before this issue of TRUE HD was even brought up on this forum, the
studio had already recently put a mandate forward that all titles newly
in the pipeline would not only contain TRUE HD but would automatically
default to the audio format upon insertion into the player.

It seems like the studio was already had the best interests of their
consumers in mind even before you brought it to their attention.

Ron,

that's GREAT to hear. Of course, WB has said things like this before... and then went ahead and authored discs (Speed Racer as an example) that didn't have lossless. And when Warner says "all" do they *really* mean "all" or do they just mean "all titles that we think are best showcased with TrueHD". I'd like to see titles like A Christmas Story and Cool Hand Luke get TrueHD just like the big-boys with 5.1 state-of-the-art mixes.

But your comments sound like the source was pretty adamant. Fingers crossed that the days of lossy-only audio on WB HD titles is coming to an and... and having the lossless track default during disc play would be a welcome bonus.

dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#166 of 169 Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted February 24 2009 - 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S

Same here. I just want the film, not the extra stuff, so I'm waiting for a "normal" release.

#167 of 169 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted February 25 2009 - 07:11 AM

Looking to another region might be an option. Most Warner titles are region free, and Casablanca has been released in a normal blu case in Europe, and probably in other areas as well.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#168 of 169 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted February 25 2009 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
Looking to another region might be an option. Most Warner titles are region free, and Casablanca has been released in a normal blu case in Europe, and probably in other areas as well.

Hmmm... Good point. I've been waiting for a standard BD release of this one also.

Also, in some other cases like certain franchise series boxsets, eg. Austin Powers, you might be able to find a dealer who'd break up the set and sell the BDs individually. I noticed that inetvideo is selling the Austin Powers set broken up like that -- and I'm tempted to go that route just for the first movie.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#169 of 169 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,066 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 25 2009 - 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
that's GREAT to hear. Of course, WB has said things like this before... and then went ahead and authored discs (Speed Racer as an example) that didn't have lossless.
Speed Racer was well into production before that commitment was made. Titles are often prepped over a year in advance.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow