Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Paramount "Wings" - anything yet?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted February 06 2009 - 07:07 AM

I know this 1927 silent title has been in the works for quite some time and understood it was supposed to be out by now but pushed to 2009. What is the latest on it? Eric

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,410 posts

Posted February 07 2009 - 07:02 PM

This and THE AFRICAN QUEEN are apparently being worked on right now. When they will actually see the light of day is anyone's guess (including, probably, Paramount's). Once it finally arrives, that will leave CAVALCADE (I assume Fox owns this) as the sole remaining Oscar-winning film not yet on DVD. I would think that fact alone would put tremendous pressure on both studios to come up with a release.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 08:46 AM

I thought Cavalcade was supposed to be in the works for this year.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted June 01 2009 - 10:04 AM

Bringing this back to the top. It was official that Paramount was working on "Wings" for release "last year" or this year? Now I see the "African Queen" has no street date yet either. What concerns me is that I received a recent email that Earthstation1 has "Wings" available through them like it is a public domain title. What is going on? And any new news about "Wings"? Eric

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   ColbyCo82

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted June 01 2009 - 10:24 AM

I have heard a rumors that Wings (along with Von Strohiem's The Wedding march and Von Sternberg silents like Docks of New York and Underworld) might go Criterion sometime in the future. I have also heard the rumor that Calavalcade will be released by Fox sometime soon. Who knows, like I said they are only rumors. I would probaby guess we will see Cavalcade first since Fox seems to be more on top of their classics catalog.
Most Wanted on DVD: The Trial of Mary Dugan (1929), Strangers May Kiss (1931),  Letty Lynton (1932), Her Wedding Night (1931), 24 Hours (1931), The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (1930), Unfaithful (1931),  While the City Sleeps (1928), The Greene Murder Case (1929)

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted June 01 2009 - 10:29 AM

It is just plain odd that a title like "Wings" is taking so long. The LaserDisc transfer looked descent so there can't be a lot of restoration involved - at least not 5+ years worth. It was scheduled for 2007 release - 80 year anniversary so what happened? And now Criterion? Why? And now also starting to worry about the long awaited "African Queen". Eric

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 01 2009 - 10:50 AM

But Fox is no longer on top of their catalog titles. Criterion is the only possibility for WINGS or CAVALCADE.
Charles Hoyt

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,012 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 01:44 AM

Hopefully Criterion or their Eclipse brand will pick up the Paramount silents: Wings, Underworld, The Docks of New York, The Last Command, The Wedding March, The Covered Wagon, Old Ironsides, etc. Paramount released all of these titles to VHS back in the early 90s, so at least those copies are out there in the meantime.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted August 13 2010 - 11:19 AM

Cavalcade is comming out latter this year, But as for Wings... Who knows? Paramount took FOREVER in releasing The African Queen... so I don't know. I have resorted to making my own 3-disc edition of Wings.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users