What's new

Paramount "Wings" - anything yet? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I know this 1927 silent title has been in the works for quite some time and understood it was supposed to be out by now but pushed to 2009. What is the latest on it?

Eric

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This and THE AFRICAN QUEEN are apparently being worked on right now. When they will actually see the light of day is anyone's guess (including, probably, Paramount's).

Once it finally arrives, that will leave CAVALCADE (I assume Fox owns this) as the sole remaining Oscar-winning film not yet on DVD. I would think that fact alone would put tremendous pressure on both studios to come up with a release.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Bringing this back to the top. It was official that Paramount was working on "Wings" for release "last year" or this year? Now I see the "African Queen" has no street date yet either. What concerns me is that I received a recent email that Earthstation1 has "Wings" available through them like it is a public domain title.

What is going on? And any new news about "Wings"?

Eric

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I have heard a rumors that Wings (along with Von Strohiem's The Wedding march and Von Sternberg silents like Docks of New York and Underworld) might go Criterion sometime in the future. I have also heard the rumor that Calavalcade will be released by Fox sometime soon. Who knows, like I said they are only rumors. I would probaby guess we will see Cavalcade first since Fox seems to be more on top of their classics catalog.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
It is just plain odd that a title like "Wings" is taking so long. The LaserDisc transfer looked descent so there can't be a lot of restoration involved - at least not 5+ years worth. It was scheduled for 2007 release - 80 year anniversary so what happened? And now Criterion? Why?

And now also starting to worry about the long awaited "African Queen".

Eric

Charles H

Screenwriter
But Fox is no longer on top of their catalog titles. Criterion is the only possibility for WINGS or CAVALCADE.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Hopefully Criterion or their Eclipse brand will pick up the Paramount silents: Wings, Underworld, The Docks of New York, The Last Command, The Wedding March, The Covered Wagon, Old Ironsides, etc. Paramount released all of these titles to VHS back in the early 90s, so at least those copies are out there in the meantime.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Cavalcade is comming out latter this year, But as for Wings... Who knows? Paramount took FOREVER in releasing The African Queen... so I don't know. I have resorted to making my own 3-disc edition of Wings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks