What's new

How much advanced BD soundtracks are utilized on player 5.1 line outs (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
My reciever was gotten at the dawn of DVD and had an line input for 5.1 but no Dolby Digital or DTS decoding capability.

So, my main DVD player had a 5.1 line out and that has been my system until HDTV.

One of my main requirements for a Blu-Ray player was 5.1 line outs. Fortunataly, I have one in the Panasonic BD30.

I noticed it does decode DTS soundtracks to the 5.1 lineouts.

I also know that it will downmix the 7.1 soundtracks to 5.1.

But I am wondering about the other format options mostly associated with lossless audio like PCM 5.1 or (is it called?) DTS HD audio master.

Will my 5.1 lineouts have increased quality from the lossless formats or can they only be utilized through bitstream or HDMI?

I have no BD's with lossless audio tracks yet and am just wondering.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
From what I read regarding the BD-30, it does not decode any of the advanced audio codecs (DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR, DD TrueHD), although it will pass them via bitstream whenever you upgrade the receiver.

You should be fine with PCM and can get lossless on those titles, although PCM isn't used much anymore.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't have a BD30 but I know they DO have 5.1 analog outputs. Now firmware may have changed things since when these were new, but back then the BD30 only put out decoded *lossy* audio on the 5.1 analog jacks. I am pretty sure this has changed in the meantime, though is still quite limited. "K" just means "black" in Panny model lingo, since silver is also available in some markets.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The only thing comes out of analog outs is analog - hence the name. PCM or bitstream are passed though digital outputs. But I think what you are really asking is will the player play back lossless multichannel PCM sound.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
First, I should note you can't do bitstreaming via analog. But if what I'm reading is correct, your player will decode DD and DD+ as well as DTS, and output those and lossless PCM through the 5.1 analogs. In addition, DTS-HD and Master Audio tracks already have an embedded 1.5mbps DTS "core" track that will also be decoded and sent through the analogs. Since Blu-ray uses higher bitrates than DVD even on vanilla DD and DTS tracks, the quality should be higher.

In summary: For a 5.1 analog connection DD and DTS will work as usual, you will get full-quality PCM 5.1 tracks if they are available, but TrueHD and DTS-HD:MA will be output lossy (but higher-quality than DVD) versions.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I had a BD-30. It's a great machine. You can enjoy DD, DTS, and PCM soundtracks through the analog outs.

The only thing you're missing out on is DTS-MA and Dolby True HD. If or when you upgrade your receiver, you'll be able to listen to all of the new audio formats.

-R

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hijack Michael's thread...but I have a side-question on this same topic.

I recently tried to watch the BD of Mamma Mia! on my Panny BD-10. My player uses the 5.1 analog outs to an older Sony STR-DE-445 receiver.

As has been explained above, the analog outs have been providing a gloriously wonderful conduit for the lossless audio tracks on all the BDs I've played--until Mamma Mia!

The soundtrack sounds distorted--both music and dialogue. Please, no cracks about the film itself ;) (there's already a lengthy love/hate discussion taking place in the official review thread! :D ). But, I'm wondering what's wrong.

The Mamma Mia! soundtrack is a DTS-HD MA format. I have played a number of these soundtracks on this system configuration with good results. The BD 10 doesn't decode DTS-HD MA but the results on all other discs (up to this point) have been terrific. While not as good as DTS-HD tracks (which the player will decode) they are still clear and more-than-serviceable. Mamma Mia! sounds bad enough that even my wife (who rarely notices such things) commented "Why does it sound SO bad? Is there something wrong with it?!?"

I can tell you that I have yet to update my firmware for the player to version 2.4. This is next on my list of things-to-do. I was going to do that before writing this note...but couldn't help myself when I saw this discussion this afternoon.

If anyone has any thoughts on this situation, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I bought the player refurbished and the firmware was already at 2.6 upon receipt.

I wonder why a lossless track gets bumped down to lossy instead of just being unable to be decoded to the analog outs. If the decoding is pretty much the same, some sort of processing should be necessary to make downconvert lossless to analog (i.e. more work).

Or maybe the entire encoding is different and making it possible to be heard on the analog outs is an entire conversion to a more conventional 5.1 track that can be decoded to analog 5.1 out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I upgraded the firmware on the BD-10 last night from 2.4 to 2.5 and that did the trick.

Mamma Mia! went from sounding wonky in an annoying, distorted way to sounding wonky in that weird, Abba-like way! ;)

I guess part of the "playability & stability" issues had to do with issues with particular soundtracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks