What's new

First Post - Help poor Newbie (1 Viewer)

M-J

Auditioning
Real Name
Hiram
For various rasons, I've had to hook up my Comcast HD box directly to the Samsung 550 via HDMI and then the cable box to the HK avr via optical cable. My question is how do I connect the avr to the TV so the avr menu shows up on the TV? This is important due to 50 year old eyes. Is it possible? Thanks, mj

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You would have to hook up an additional s-video or component cable from the H/K's Monitor Out to the tv and then switch the tv's input to view the menu. That's what I do with my H/K 520 (and 49 1/2 year old eye's
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).

M-J

Auditioning
Real Name
Hiram
Thanks, Gene, I'll give it try. I wouldn't have to do this if the 254 knew how to switch from HD to SD channels without going green... mj

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have a 254 and don't have a "green screen" between HD and SD channels. I have all my components, with the exception of my 360 going into the receiver, and use the receiver's out to the TV.

M-J

Auditioning
Real Name
Hiram
Really! You're one of the lucky ones. When I go from HDMI HD to SD I very often get the green screen or green/pink lines across half the screen. I wonder how you're avoiding that - over at AVS that's the topic of the day it seems. Have you updated the firmware (although they say it doesn't help this problem), Do you have HDMI in/out everywhere? Someone wrote, I think, that some of the chips on the motherboard need to be toggled on, Idon't know, but it sure is a pain. mj

M-J

Auditioning
Real Name
Hiram
Buckethead,I forgot to ask if you're using Comcast HD box. mj

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Actually, I do get a split second green screen, but not every time. I never even noticed it until it was mentioned. As for gear I have

DirecTV HD DVR
Sony BDP350
Xbox 360
Older philips 16:9 HDTV CRT

Everything is connected via component.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks