What's new

Dersu Uzala (1 Viewer)

BrianSiano

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Siano
Criterion's releasing _Dodeskaden_ next year, which reminds me to wonder if there's any news about a Blu-ray transfer of _Dersu Uzala_. If I recall correctly, Mosfilm has a 70mm print, but all home video transfers have come from 35mm copies.

Does anyone here have any information about the prospects of a really nice edition of _Dersu Uzala_?

(I know RAH probably has his plate full with other projects, but this discussion area does seem to be a general default for all aspects of film restoration.)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I would absolutely love to see this done. Dersu Uzala is an amazing film, and I consider it one of Kurosawa's most underrated pieces of work.

The DVD is pretty bad, and really not watchable on my projection system. A new transfer of this great film on Blu-ray would be fantastic news indeed.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I remember watching this film in a big open air cinema event in the 90s. After some time I wondered about the strange framing and camera movements. It turned out they were showing a 35mm pan and scan TV print. Ouch.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There should not be any major problems with this title. I would surmise that it simply needs to be printed or scanned from the OCN.

RAH

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's great news. If that is the case, then whoever has the rights should "get on with it" already! ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
At a running length of 16,500 feet approx., this is no small task.

Rob Foss

Stunt Coordinator

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Russia has no facilities for dealing with 70mm & the likelihood of removing the original to another country where such facilities do exist is, well, remote, to put it mildly.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I can only hope that if we do finally get a new release of Dersu Uzala finally (and hopefully through Criterion as Janus does control this title IIRC) that we get the film's original 6-track mix as an audio option.

francisca2

Auditioning
Real Name
Francisca
The film is almost entirely shot outdoors in the ruggedly beautiful Siberian wilderness. As with most of Kurosawa's work, each frame is carefully composed to form a dramatic picture. The film explores the theme of a native of the forests who is fully integrated into his environment, leading a style of life that will inevitably be destroyed by the advance of civilization. It is also about the growth of respect and deep friendship between two men of profoundly different backgrounds, and about the difficulty of coping with the loss of strength and ability that comes with old age.

snudley

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy Walsworth
I was honored to see this film in a 70mm print at the Inwood Theater in Dallas a very long time ago. It was one of the films that really put the lifelong film-nut bug in me.

It has always been on my short restoration/hi-def wish list.

WalterMitty

Auditioning
Real Name
Avelino Orois Fernández
A properly restored, high definition release of Dersu Uzala, and all the missing bits of The Magnificent Ambersons to be found in some long-time neglected vault, that's all I want for Christmas...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It has been shown in Karlsruhe, Germany in 70mm at least twice in the last 10 months. I attended one of the screenings and can attest ot the fact that this print is in very good shape and not faded like western Eastman Kodak productions. It is also the best looking East European 70mm production that I have seen so far.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I really liked this movie, but was disappointed by the quality of the DVD I received from Netflix. I was not aware this was a 70mm film; I cannot imagine how good this could look if faithfully reproduced on Blu-Ray. It's very hard to pick favorites among Kurosawa's works, but this one is high on my list of ones I'd like to see released as a quality Blu-Ray.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Looks like a Blu-ray is coming out from Spain in November. There is a trailer posted on YouTube and it looks good. You can also see the film on the Criterion Channel and i hope Criterion will release it on disc soon.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Both DVDBeaver and The Digital Bits have a review of the Imprint Blu-ray release and the news is not that bad. Both talk about uneven color and density and i have seen that in all the discs i have. Also the film was made using Soviet film stock instead of Kurosawa's preferred Kodak or Fuji which was better quality. Hope to see Deepdiscount ship the Blu-ray out soon.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Both DVDBeaver and The Digital Bits have a review of the Imprint Blu-ray release and the news is not that bad. Both talk about uneven color and density and i have seen that in all the discs i have. Also the film was made using Soviet film stock instead of Kurosawa's preferred Kodak or Fuji which was better quality. Hope to see Deepdiscount ship the Blu-ray out soon.

Even with Soviet film stock the negative would allow for a better picture than what you are seeing but at least it seems to look better than a DVD so it will be an improvement. The greenish tint is authentic by the way, I have seen it with every East European / Russian 70mm film so far and also with Dersu Uzala.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks