Quality of Dersu Uzala & Madadayo

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Fisher, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    I'm in the process of buying the movies of Akira Kurosawa and these 2 are next on the list. Being that these are not Criterions and are from other studios any info on the quality of the releases is great.

Im basically looking for feedback on the transfer & sound quality for the following:

1. Madadayo-Fox Lorber
    2. Dersu Uzala- Kino Video

Thanks,

Joe

2. andrew markworthy

I have Madadayo on the R3 release, which may be a help if the FL edition is the same. Quality not brilliant (indifferent transfer and appalling subtitle translations).

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

1. Madadayo-Fox Lorber: have seen it and IMO the transfer is fairly crappy...then again so is the transfer for their "remastered" DVD of RAN but I still had to own it so I suppose it depends on whether you must own the DVD or not. I haven't seen any other region DVD's so I can't say if there is a better release out there.

2. Dersu Uzala- Kino Video: haven't seen it yet but I personally trust Kino. You never know however.

4. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I rented the Madadayo DVD and I found both the picture and the sound to be of near-VHS quality. The opening scene looked particularly terrible. A very good movie, though.

Haven't seen Dersu Uzala, so I can't comment on the DVD quality.

5. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

6. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Thanks to everyone for the feed back & to Brian for the DVD Beaver reviews. I'll hold off buying these for now & hope that Criterion gets there hands on them. I'll atleast give them a rental from Netflix.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Hmm...Kino isn't 16:9 huh?

8. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

That was the main reason for not getting these. When I saw that both releases where not 16x9 I kinda dropped any idea of getting them.

Plus the crappy transfer reviews helped also.

9. James David Walley

James David Walley Stunt Coordinator

Dersu looks pretty bad. As I pointed out in a post at its time of release, though, it appears to be the exact same transfer (including print flaws) as the Criterion laserdisc, which was touted as being from the best elements still available. Sadly, it looks like little care was made in preserving this classic. On the other hand, even a mediocre transfer of that film is worth watching.