What's new

Onkyo TX-SR805 firmware update for the "DTS bomb" (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I posted this over on the AVS Forums but no response as yet and thought I'd try over here.

For those of you familiar with it there are occasions when DTS HDMaster tracks on BDs elicit a LOUD pop at times with this receiver, particularly when coming out of Pause or starting up from Resume (where allowed). If you are not careful you could seriously harm your speakers. Onkyo has issued specified firmware updates for the TX-SR line that debuted last year (I bought mine in July of '07).

Well... I received the "DTS" firmware update by mail last week, which included a 2 page set of instructions, optical audio cable and update cd. The service tech was very helpful by phone in answering questions. I have Onkyo's TX-SR805.

I did the upgrade yesterday and remembered to write down all my settings prior to updating. The process was quite quick and confirmation of all three firmware versions showed I was on board afterwards.

The question I have is this. I redid all my settings to my previous configuration when finished but I wonder about something. Initially, I went through the Audyssey automated sound calibration process when I first set up the receiver last year. Though you can replicate almost all settings manually I cannot retrieve the Equalizer settings the Audyssey locked in. When I go into that menu I only have "Manual" (which at present shows 0dB for all parameters in its sub menu) and "Audyssey" as choices. There is no sub menu for the Audyssey selection to see what those settings are.

As practically all settings are lost during such an update, is there any way to view those equalizer settings through some command sequence? If not is there some "middle of the road" group of settings I can plug in manually that would suffice for the time being or should I leave it at factory default? By the way what would that default be I wonder?

I don't relish having to go through that process again as it is rather time consuming. I hope the fix worked as I will be checking it out tonight or tomorrow, possibly with one of the new James Bond BD releases.

Any advice here is appreciated.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi,

First off, the manual equalizer and Audyssey are 2 different things. If you have manual, Audyssey is turned off. You can't see the settings Audyssey sets on the Onkyo's. Denon allows you to see a 'very rough' estimation of what was set.

You are correct that the updated DSP routine does erase everything. It is not stored anywhere. The only thing you can do is re-run Audyssey.

Since you are over at AVS, check out the Audyssey thread and read the FAQ (linked in the first post). Lots of good information there.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Thanks I will check over at AVS.

Yes, I understand that the manual menu and the Audyssey are two different choices. I was simply laying out what was available. However, it does seem a real pity Onkyo could not figure a way to make those settings viewable. They dropped the ball on that one in my estimation. Shame as every other function is viewable and adjustable from what I can see.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Reality is that the display would be inaccurate even if they did allow it. It is much, much more than a simple x band PEQ.

Alex-Dyd

Auditioning
I just updated the DSP's in my 805 and it took just a few seconds.
I wrote down all the settings. This took 10 minutes.

I reran Audessy and it took 15 min..and we are back to where we were...

I found this to be rather easy to do, and was done in 30 min or so max.

My question is when I get to update the firmware from 1.04 to 1.08 what will I loose when I do the master reset with the vcr/dvd button??

Alex

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Updating the firmware is not supported. You should contact Onkyo to have it updated. If you decide to use the methods found on the web, you will void your warranty.

Are you having a specific issue that updated firmware is supposed to correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks