Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Getting audio into my receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Stan Welks

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 11:27 AM

I have a Philips 42-inch LCD connected via HDMI to a Sony BLU RAY player and an Apple TV. I now want to connect a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver to both the Apple TV and Blu Ray player. I do not see HDMI audio outs on the BLU RAY player or Apple TV. How do I get the best audio possible out of these components and into my receiver? There is a HDMI port for TV on the receiver so I plugged an HDMI from the TV into the receiver though nothing is happening. I do not see any audio HDMI outs on the TV. Thanks for any help!!!!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Eddie W.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 11:40 AM

HDMI carries both audio and video signals via 1 cable. Send both HDMI outputs from your components to the receiver, then send the 'monitor' HDMI out from the receiver to the TV.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hi Stan, try connecting your systems as follows: Blu-Ray Player HDMI OUTPUT ====> Receiver HDMI INPUT Apple TV HDMI OUTPUT ====> Receiver HDMI INPUT Receiver HDMI OUTPUT ====> Television HDMI INPUT Cheers, Alon

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Stan Welks

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 05:12 PM

1.) I noticed that when I had the AppleTV connected to the (HDP) HDMI input on the receiver, the receiver would switch modes on its own, make some clicking sounds, and then the on/standby starts flashing red and it stops displaying the AppleTV. Why did it do this? I changed the AppleTV to DVR and it seems ok now. What is HDP intended for? 2.) My powered sub does not seem to work. I have it plugged into the SW input on the receiver and I have a single Monster cable going from it to the sub and it is plugged into the top Low Level input on the sub, the L channel. Thanks guys!

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,184 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 12 2008 - 06:27 AM

2) Is your sub set to Auto? That way it will turn on when it senses a signal. What is your sub/LFE level set to on the receiver? Do you have the sub output turned on on the receiver? There's a lot of reasons why it won't turn on and you have to eliminate them 1 by 1. -Robert

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted October 12 2008 - 07:34 AM

You don't connect the sub to the subwoofer input on the receiver. You connect it to the subwoofer output. Many receivers have both.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.