Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Band of Brothers (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,386 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 09:22 AM

Click on image to be taken to official site

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 67 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted August 27 2008 - 11:48 AM

I don't like the selling point of "re-mastered."

Please, please keep grain intact.

Otherwise, really looking forward to this set!

#3 of 67 Ray_R

Ray_R

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 03:52 AM

But how will the picture quality compare with the Japanese HDDVD's? At least it comes in the same tin-jobby as the SDDVD.Posted Image

#4 of 67 Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:46 AM

$99MSRP? So, what will we be seeing in stores, $70ish?
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#5 of 67 Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 07:55 AM

Amazon's preorder price is $69.95. You can also get it from the Warner Bros. store for $55.95+tax if you use the 30% discount code ANWBTS and buy one other title (it's only good if you purchase two or more items), otherwise it's $77.95. You get free shipping at both sites.

Considering how expensive the other HBO Blu-ray sets are, this is a good price for an outstanding miniseries.

#6 of 67 Jari K

Jari K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman
Considering how expensive the other HBO Blu-ray sets are, this is a good price for an outstanding miniseries.

Yes, fair price, IMO.

Just finished watching Ken Burns' "The War" documentary, so I´m just in the right frame of mind to re-watch "BoB". This time in 1080p. Posted Image Damn, I simply can´t wait.

#7 of 67 Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 08:05 AM

They'd have to be profoundly stupid to try to remove the grain on this, however I do wonder what the "remastered" refers to since it was finished on DI; not a whole lot to do there really. Hopefully it's just marketing.

I'm also curious about the DTS-HD MA, does this mean Warner isn't doing the actual encoding/authoring?

#8 of 67 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 09:07 AM

This title should should be a revelation, so far as the way DNR is applied. This title plus the last several Spielberg movies, which have very pronounced grain, by design.

I can already hear the droning pin-heads from every corner of internet-land, doing their best Quasimodo: "The grain...the grain...".

If they choose to dampen the grain on this one...well, it will make the 'Patton' outcry sound like a polite, repressed whimper; and the result will be more obvious by an order of magnitude. Along with a muted color palette, grain is the primary image component. Should be interesting.

#9 of 67 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 09:13 AM

Kris is right, the look of this show is created completely in the computer. I suspect "remaster" means simply that they went back to the original digital master files to create the encodes for the blu-ray.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#10 of 67 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
This title should should be a revelation, so far as the way DNR is applied. This title plus the last several Spielberg movies, which have very pronounced grain, by design.

I can already hear the droning pin-heads from every corner of internet-land, doing their best Quasimodo: "The grain...the grain...".

If they choose to dampen the grain on this one...well, it will make the 'Patton' outcry sound like a polite, repressed whimper; and the result will be more obvious by an order of magnitude. Along with a muted color palette, grain is the primary image component. Should be interesting.

Considering that the grain and the subdued color palate on this show is completely intentional, I doubt seriously that they will do anything to change it.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#11 of 67 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Considering that the grain and the subdued color palate on this show is completely intentional, I doubt seriously that they will do anything to change it.

Doug

That's what one would assume, but who can tell these days. I'm eager to hear the first reports.

That being said: I hope we can avoid the pre-release, judge, jury and executioner via screen capture syndrome.

#12 of 67 Xylon

Xylon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted August 30 2008 - 01:16 AM

Remastered? Posted Image

#13 of 67 Jari K

Jari K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 12:31 AM

So you start this DNR-speculation already, just based on the work "remastered" on the press release? Can´t wait for the "screencaps"... Posted Image

#14 of 67 Xylon

Xylon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 12:54 AM

Oy! Calm down, friend!

Screencaps will come Posted Image

After watching it of course.

#15 of 67 frankie108

frankie108

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 04:59 AM

Anyways, I want to see it exactly as I saw it on my ratty old crt Toshiba HDTV 7 years ago. Is that too much to ask???Posted Image

#16 of 67 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 09:02 AM

Well, I couldn't help myself and preordered it w/ the 30% off coupon at the WHV site (along w/ LA Confidential and Adv of Robin Hood) -- at least it's an HBO title, not New Line. Gonna have to keep my fingers crossed I guess. Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#17 of 67 Jari K

Jari K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 07:45 PM

I pre-ordered this too. I´ll watching "moving screenshots" from my couch. Posted Image

#18 of 67 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 05:51 AM

This title is as good as in my HD collection the day it comes out! Posted Image I am glad I held of on buying this title so I will only have to buy it one time. The first time I saw this title was on my 31" Toshiba CRT TV on DVD. So I am now counting the days to see it with a awsum 1080p transfer on my 50" HDTV. Posted Image

Oh ya after I get my Denon AVR-2809ci and it has been set up, Band Of Brothers in DTS-HD MA will be one of the first group of Blu-ray titles I will watch to test out the new receiver! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
1080p High Definition - Supporter of Lossless Audio - Supporter of 4K -  Current Library: 221 DVD's / 74 HD-DVD's / 219 Blu-ray's (293 HD Titles, 4K movies 0)

#19 of 67 Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Doug

This is the only thing that brings me some comfort that this BD will be okay and not touched by the DNR demons out there. Could you imagine if a movie like 300 (shot digitally with CGI grain added) where the grain was scrubbed out?

I predict that this set will look great. When it was played on HBO, we didn't own an HDTV in the house so I have never seen the show in HD. Can't wait. Oh and DTS-HD Master Audio too?!?! Woohoo!
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#20 of 67 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 01:45 AM

According to a poster at AVS who got his copy sent VERY early from Warner, it looks fantastic, high-level grain and all:
Quote:
I sampled a bit of part 2.
The picture looks awesome whites look a little blown out, and the color is desaturated and the image is full of grain. Detail is excellent and depth is great. It looks as good as, maybe even better than, Letter and Flags.

The MA track is great and it doesn't disappoint. But it just cannot keep up with Letters from Iwo Jima(which is a freak of audio nature itself). The clarity and spacing is better than SPR, but that mix is crazy and I think it still sounds better.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow