-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: Warner Home Video Western Classics Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 26 2008 - 10:51 AM

http://static.hometh...ernclassics.jpg">

Warner Home Video Western Classics Collection

Escape from Fort Bravo (1953) / Many Rivers to Cross (1955) / Saddle the Wind (1958) / The Law and Jake Wade (1958)/ Cimarron (1960) /The Stalking Moon (1968)

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 10 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 26 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the great review. I have my boxset so I'll probably watch Escape from Fort Bravo first due to the problems noted in this review and other sources. I rather go from worse to better when it comes to my viewing pattern.

On second thought, I'll probably watch Rocky Mountain first from the Flynn boxset because it's a title I haven't watched in a lot of years and always liked it.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 10 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 02:53 PM

Thanks, Ken. I always reading your reviews of WHV's classic product.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#4 of 10 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 01:14 AM

Thank you once more for the great review, will also look forward to the one about the Flynn set.
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#5 of 10 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 02:35 AM

Dear Warners, Why do you still give us stereo 2.0 mixdowns when we have a system that can reproduce the original 4.0 mixes.

Escape from Fort Bravo is 3.0 originally but Cimarron is 4.0 in theaters.

Warners has done this in the past with their releases of sea Chase, Blood Alley, etc. Why? I want the origiinal 4.0, NOT a two channel dolby surround mixdown.

BTW, Library of Congress has not just one but THREE four channel mag stereo prints of Many Rivers to cross deposited there. There is no need to have this early scope stereo film released on dvd in MONO.

#6 of 10 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 27 2008 - 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Caps
BTW, Library of Congress has not just one but THREE four channel mag stereo prints of Many Rivers to cross deposited there. There is no need to have this early scope stereo film released on dvd in MONO.

MANY RIVERS TO CROSS has been run in stereo countless times on TCM. There's no excuse for the dull mono found on this DVD.

#7 of 10 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 27 2008 - 03:44 AM

The press release indicated that "Many Rivers to Cross" would be stereo as well, so I do not know what went wrong.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 10 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 27 2008 - 08:35 AM

I have this set on it's way too me, look forward to seeing these for the first time. Great review!
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#9 of 10 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,169 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted August 28 2008 - 01:41 PM

My local Costco didn't stock this one on Tuesday, so I had to place an online order. Though I did pick up the Flynn Western box at Costco.

Let me add my gripe along with Joe Caps about the 2.0 dolby surround mixdowns. It just makes no sense when they are creating brand new transfers of these films that they wouldn't use the discrete 3.0 or 4.0 magnetic masters. Come on Warner, keep this up and you are going to lose your status as the premier studio for high quality releases of classic films!

#10 of 10 Danoldrati

Danoldrati

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 05:54 AM

Hi
I just picked up a copy of "Many Rivers to Cross and it is in stereo. Don't get me wrong it's not great stereo but it's stereo. I was wondering if anybody else noticed?
Great Day
Dan Oldrati