What's new

Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour DVD (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis:
"As I suspected, the Smothers are doing a compilation DVD, though I would prefer season sets. On the other hand, I suppose the music fees concerning the great rock acts who appeared on the show (The Beatles, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, etc.) would be a stumbling block."

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour DVD news: Rumors for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on DVD | TVShowsOnDVD.com

I'm starting a new thread for this release because it would just get lost in the general Time Life thread.

Okay, I got an email from Time Life with a coupon code (TLSUMMER) for 10% off, so I thought I'd order this Smothers Brothers DVD which is coming out supposedly on August 1, but if you do a search on the Time Life website, it's NOWHERE to be found.

And if you use this link from the TSoD site, there is no option to input the discount code (though it does offer free shipping). You just put your credit card in. Same with the Smothers Brothers website.

https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/...:MicroSiteView

Anyone know why this isn't listed on the Time Life website yet? And how to use this code? Perhaps just phoning Time Life?

Barbara.G

Stunt Coordinator
I received an e-mail that took me right to it. But the Smothers Brothers comedy hour season 3 is at dvd pacific for $32.15. That is where I pr-ordered mine.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

The Time Life product is only going to be available to consumers directly from them; they are not selling to any retailers. So I don't see how DVDPacific can be claiming to be able to fulfill any orders. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I checked on this one at DVDPacific and the listing looks legit which is interesting. It's showing Time-Life as the source of the product as well. Is the street date 9/16/08 for this one? That's what they're showing for their listing. Check it out here

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I'm getting a little confused here. A search on DVDPriceSearch shows several retailers selling the season 3 set discounted from a retail price of $49 (not the $69 for the Time Life) and being released on October 14.

DVD Price Check

Lowest Price: $ 31.02 (DVDPacific.com)

DVDPacific.com $ 31.02
Buy.com $ 33.80
CD Universe $ 36.99
Barnes & Noble $ 39.99
Best Buy $ 44.99

Is this the same set? Does Time Life have exclusive rights to release on August 1, then, as soon as October, the retail price goes down and it's fair game to other retailers?

Why would I order from Time Life if I know I can get the same set for $20 less in a couple months? We need some illumination here.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
The websites listed are billing this as a 3-DVD set. I suspect that it's missing the "Bonus DVD" of the 'Smothered' documentary as well as possibly 1 disc of extras. That would be my guess.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The mystery deepens. This link lists a 5-DVD Best of Season 3 product for Time Life, but if you call the Time Life customer service number and try to order the product ... they have no knowledge of the product.

I left voicemail with a Time Life account executive to call and hopefully clarify the situation.

https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/...oKdczKRXcdsyXw

The Smothers Brothers website uses the same link to Time Life.

Smothers Brothers Home Page

Again, I've got a call into Knave Productions there to see if they can illuminate the situation.

Meanwhile, there are several online and B&M sites listing a 3-DVD version of the product available September 16 for $49 retail ($20 less than the Time Life product), and selling as low as $32. Here's a Barnes & Noble listing:

Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour Season 3, DVD - Barnes & Noble

So, basically, I would say hold off ordering this product from anywhere until we find out what's up.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I spoke with the rep from the Smothers Brothers company which put the DVD together and have an agreement with Time Life to release it and they were very surpised to hear that Time Life customer service had no knowledge or listing of the product.

The Smothers company doesn't have the product in hand yet, but they said the 5-DVD version of the Best of Season 3 was indeed scheduled for release on August 1. But perhaps the best place to order it from to be sure is the SmothersBrothers.com website itself, since the Time Life phone order takers don't seem to know.

The rep also didn't know anything about the 3-DVD release in a couple months or what exactly is on it and why retailers other than Time Life are offering it. Possibly it's the same release minus the documentary and bonus features. But what the arrangement is with the retailers offering it (none have a picture yet), and how this squares with Time Life's agreement is not clear.

Perhaps if the Time Life account executive calls back, we can get more information on that.

But there IS a 5-disc product scheduled for release on August 1, and this is still the best place to order it (but, alas, no discounts or free shipping):

http://www.smothersbrothers.com/sbdvdseason3.asp

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Does anybody know if the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour DVD scheduled for release on August 1 will have a segment on it where Jim Morrison and The Doors were featured playing "Touch Me"? Thanks...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I can confirm that the Smothers Brothers rep told me this release does include The Doors performance in Season 3 of the show, if that's the song in question. I asked her if it also included the famous performance by The Who, where Keith Moon used too much dynamite on his drum set and blew out Pete Townshend's eardrum as he slid past playing guitar and she said that performance was in season 2 ... which they are preparing.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

For some reason, they decided to release Best of Season 3 first. Maybe it's because of The Doors. :cool:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Thanks for the price heads up. I see the Time Life 5-disc version has been delayed until August 25 (originally scheduled for August 1). I wonder if this will affect the September 16 release date of the doc-free version? I will probably wait until that version is actually out in stores and use a 40% off Borders coupon as soon as one pops up after. But if the Deep Discount price is less, that's the ticket.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Can somebody please tell me why this dvd is apparently not available for sale in Canada?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Maybe they're afraid stoned Viet Nam draft dodgers still hiding out might freak out if they saw Tommy and Dick on the cover and think it's still 1969.

Sorry, bad joke, but in the spirit of the show.

But seriously, it's not out in brick & mortar stores yet and only available after August 25th through online or phone order from Time Life which, I'm sure, will be happy to sell to Canada or anywhere else.

The 3-disk street version hits on September 16th, and that should be available at your local retailer. If not, Amazon has it. See some of the posts above for links.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know exactly which shows will be on the set? I'm personally hoping on the "acoustic" episode from '68 with Donovan and Jennifer Warren a.k.a. Warnes- for me, that was the best episode in the entire series!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks