-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

? about Ethernet cables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 cdesperado

cdesperado

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 04 2008 - 09:04 AM

Ok, so... I did some searches on the forum about this but nothing stood out (out of hundreds of options), so I apologize in advance because I am sure this has been covered before.

I have a new HT system using Verizon FIOS and I am curious about something. The cable box is connected to the Verizon widget via a Co-Axial cable. There is an Ethernet port on the back of the cable box and also one on the back of my plasma. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-82TXS), but there is no Ethernet port on the back of that.

I have two questions regarding the use of Ethernet cable:
1.) Is there signal degradation by using a Coax cable instead of an Ethernet cable? And if so, is there any reason I should continue to use the coax? (The picture looks great, but could it look even better?)

2.) I am considering hooking up the cable box to my home's LAN bc I **think** I can connect my cable box to my PC and use a harddrive there to supplement my DVR hard drives. However, there is only one Ethernet port on the back of the cable box (Motorola QIP6416-2)... so how can I connect the DVR box to my PC via Ethernet cables AND use the Ethernet port as the primary input for the TV signal?

I hope this makes sense... basically, I am trying to figure out what to do with this Ethernet port on the back of the DVR box.

Thank you!

#2 of 3 pankarty

pankarty

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 07:18 AM

kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman abkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanab kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman abkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanab kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman abkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanab kanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabka nmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanm anabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanmanabkanman ab

#3 of 3 Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted June 14 2008 - 12:19 AM

I doubt your ethernet port is even active on the box. cable companys dont use it, its a dead port. FiOS may be different, but I am not sure. best advice I can give is to call their customer support and ask them if its utilized or not.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.