Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

August Criterions


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

    Producer



  • 3,291 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 22 2001

Posted May 16 2008 - 09:49 AM

Posted Image

Quote:
Special Features
  • - SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
  • - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • - The End of Salò, a 40-minute documentary about the film’s final scene
  • - Salò: Yesterday and Today, a 35-minute documentary featuring interviews with Pier Paolo Pasolini, actor-filmmaker Jean-Claude Biette, and Pasolini’s friend Nineto Davoli
  • - New interviews with set designer Dante Ferretti and filmmaker/film scholar Jean-Pierre Gorin
  • - Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
  • - Theatrical trailer
  • - Optional English subtitles
  • - PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Neil Bartlett, Roberto Chiesi, Naomi Greene, Gary Indiana, and Sam Rohdie, and excerpts from Gideon Bachman’s on-set diary

Posted Image

Quote:
Special Features
  • - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • - Optional narration tracks by Isabella Rossellini, Laurie Anderson, John Ashbery, Crispin Glover, Guy Maddin, Louis Negrin, and Eli Wallach
  • - The Making of "Brand upon the Brain!", a new documentary featuring interviews with the director and crew members
  • - Two new short films directed by Maddin: It's My Mother’s Birthday Today and Footsteps
  • - Deleted scene
  • - Trailer
  • - PLUS: A new essay by film critic Dennis Lim

Posted Image

Quote:
Special Features
  • - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • - Audio commentary featuring film scholar Charles Barr
  • - New video interview with cinematographer Chris Challis
  • - Excerpts from Michael Powell’s audio dictations for his autobiography
  • - PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Nick James
Posted Image

Quote:
Special Features
  • - SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
  • - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • - Television interview with director Keisuke Kinoshita
  • - New video interview with Japanese cinema historian and critic Tadao Sato about the film and its director
  • - New and improved English subtitle translation
  • - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay be renowned film scholar Audie Bock and excerpts from an interview with Kinoshita

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image


#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

    Screenwriter



  • 1,700 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 23 2000

Posted May 16 2008 - 11:04 AM

all those eBay Salos have just plummeted in price faster than the price of Bear-Sterns stocks on black monday
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

    Lead Actor



  • 7,632 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2002

Posted May 16 2008 - 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_TS
all those eBay Salos have just plummeted in price faster than the price of Bear-Sterns stocks on black monday

What makes you say this ?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

    Screenwriter



  • 2,414 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 24 2006

Posted May 16 2008 - 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_TS
all those eBay Salos have just plummeted in price faster than the price of Bear-Sterns stocks on black monday

Not at all. The old Criterion disc is not expensive because people love the movie Salo, it's expensive because it's a rare collectible. The new release doesn't change that at all.

I'm stoked that they included the multiple narrations for Brand Upon the Brain.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

    Studio Mogul



  • 22,190 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 15 2004
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 16 2008 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Teller
Not at all. The old Criterion disc is not expensive because people love the movie Salo, it's expensive because it's a rare collectible. The new release doesn't change that at all.
Yes, it does. It might not make the original release worthless but some of the demand comes solely from people who wanted it because they couldn't get it or that it was 'rare' and that drove the price up. Now they'll be able to get the movie (and in a better form) so the price of the original will definitely drop once the new release comes out.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   mike kaminski

mike kaminski

    Second Unit



  • 262 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 11 2006

Posted May 16 2008 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, it won't be worthless because its printing is still rare, but most of its value came from the fact that it was the only way to get the movie and thats now been nullified. I can't say its a very good movie to begin with though.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

    Executive Producer



  • 16,203 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 01 1999
  • Real Name:Tony D.
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 16 2008 - 04:52 PM

i may pick up Salo just because.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

    Screenwriter



  • 1,635 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 23 1999

Posted May 16 2008 - 05:36 PM

More from The Archers is never a bad thing, but it's never the one I want the most. I wish Sony would go ahead and let Criterion do A Matter of Life and Death if they don't want to release it.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

    Screenwriter



  • 2,414 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 24 2006

Posted May 16 2008 - 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kaminski
it was the only way to get the movie and thats now been nullified.

It was not the only way to see the movie. There were releases in other regions (including region-free discs), and eBay has always been absolutely flooded with cheapo bootlegs. I'd be very surprised if the average price for an authentic original Criterion Salo goes down significantly. It's a Holy Grail item for DVD collectors. People who just want to see the movie are not paying $300 for it.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   mike kaminski

mike kaminski

    Second Unit



  • 262 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 11 2006

Posted May 16 2008 - 07:05 PM

What I meant was, its rarity was related to the fact that there was no other official release of the film. Not only was there only a limited number of pressings, but the film itself was impossible to find outside of said pressings, which made them all the more special.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

    Screenwriter



  • 2,219 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 19 2002

Posted May 17 2008 - 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kaminski
What I meant was, its rarity was related to the fact that there was no other official release of the film. Not only was there only a limited number of pressings, but the film itself was impossible to find outside of said pressings, which made them all the more special.

Yes. Any film that goes out of print pretty much loses its value among collectors when it goes back in print. It wasn't the rarity of the pressing that had its value, it was the fact it was out of print.

That is unless there were extras or commentaries that aren't on the next pressing.

SALO will be pretty much worthless when the new version is released, except among Criterion completists. But they probably already have it.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam_Duncan

Adam_Duncan

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 59 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 05 2008

Posted May 18 2008 - 12:38 AM

When the hell is Cronenberg's Crash coming out?

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   to_the_9

to_the_9

    Auditioning



  • 12 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 10 2008

Posted May 18 2008 - 03:51 AM

I am very excited to see "Saló, or the 120 Days of Sodom" finally get re-released! Now, if only Criterion could once again re-acquire the rights to their Alfred Hitchcock series ("Rebecca," "Notorious," and "Spellbound" outside of their still available "The 39 Steps" and "The Lady Vanishes") I would be pleased as punch!

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

    Screenwriter



  • 2,156 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2005

Posted May 18 2008 - 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Duncan
When the hell is Cronenberg's Crash coming out?
Not for the foreseeable future. They don't have the rights to it anymore.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

    Executive Producer



  • 16,203 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 01 1999
  • Real Name:Tony D.
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 18 2008 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Duncan
When the hell is Cronenberg's Crash coming out?
the dvd wasn't CC, only the laser was i thought.
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

    Screenwriter



  • 2,156 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2005

Posted May 18 2008 - 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin

SALO will be pretty much worthless when the new version is released, except among Criterion completists. But they probably already have it.
Yeah completists are the only guys who want to say "You may own the nice new Salo with all those newfangled special features and great picture quality but I've got the old Salo with NO FEATURES and a print that looks like it was extracted out of a mule's scrotum!"

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

    Screenwriter



  • 1,152 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 25 2000

Posted May 18 2008 - 09:03 PM

There was a period when a Criterion DVD of CRASH seemed possible. New Line relicensed many titles they had done with Criterion on laserdisc for DVD release, such as NAKED and SHORT CUTS, and even did some first-time licenses like MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO and AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE.

However, what was crucial in that situation was New Line's then status as a completely autonomous arm of Time Warner, free to engage in their own business. Now that the entire company has been folded into Warner Bros., they are subject to Warner Bros. policies, which is firmly against sublicensing to third parties.

I do suspect that Criterion likely made a few more licensing deals in advance with New Line before the merger that are ironclad and which Warner will honor, and maybe, just maybe, CRASH will be one of them. But otherwise, I think we can pretty much say goodbye to any future New Line/Criterion collaborations.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

    Screenwriter



  • 2,414 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 24 2006

Posted May 19 2008 - 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
Yeah completists are the only guys who want to say "You may own the nice new Salo with all those newfangled special features and great picture quality but I've got the old Salo with NO FEATURES and a print that looks like it was extracted out of a mule's scrotum!"

I don't want to belabor this too much, but that's my point. It's the completists who drive the price up, and the new reissue won't change that. No one spent $300 on eBay just because they wanted to see Salo (why bother when you could get a region-free player and import it for much less?). It's like people who collect first editions of books. Additional print runs don't drive down the value of the originals, even if the new printings have a new introduction and are printed on better paper.

But hey, I'll admit I'm no eBay expert. I wouldn't expect the value to go down more than 20%, but I could be wrong.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

    Screenwriter



  • 2,156 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2005

Posted May 19 2008 - 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Teller
But hey, I'll admit I'm no eBay expert. I wouldn't expect the value to go down more than 20%, but I could be wrong.
You never know, for example I've seen the price for Toy Story: The Ultimate Toy Box fall astronomically in the used market when the new 2-disc SEs came out a few years back.

Since we're on the subject of Pasolini, anyone else hope we may one day see a snazzy spruced up Criterion of Gospel According to St. Matthew?

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   pat00139

pat00139

    Agent



  • 26 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 30 2008

Posted June 30 2008 - 03:26 AM

"What I meant was, its rarity was related to the fact that there was no other official release of the film"

Not to beat a dead horse, but there were actually a few other official releases. The UK had a regionless release and France had a pretty good SE. DVDBeaver has a review of these releases.


Back to DVD



Forum Nav Content I Follow