-

Photo
- - - - -

Bush's War -- Frontline (PBS)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 08:26 AM

Has anyone seen this?

I've only watched about a third or so, here: FRONTLINE: bush's war | PBS

I caught part 2 by chance and recorded it. But I wish I could watch part 1 on TV instead of the PC as well. I have to wait till Sunday I think to DVR it.

You can watch the whole thing at the link above. The video quality is excellent and chapter breaks very convenient. I believe there is a timeline feature as well, but I've not checked it out.

I think this is the best treatment of the subject matter I've watched. What sets this one apart is the focus on the behind-the-scene dealings and personality clashes at the very top. Rivetting stuff. (and depressing at the same time.)

I am also dissapointed about the fact that I stumbled on it purely by chance, and I am an avid consumer of news. Either PBS didn't promote this properly, or it was largely ignored by the Powers That Be. Or I suck. This excellent piece of journalism is the kind we should be seeing in the establishment media.

--
H

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the head's up Holadem.
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,524 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 26 2008 - 09:23 AM

Frontline is one of those programs that seems to do consistently good stuff. You might just want to DVR it on a regular basis.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, Holadem.
Quote:
Either PBS didn't promote this properly, or it was largely ignored by the Powers That Be. Or I suck.
I applaud your willingness to consider the possibility that the fault could lie with you. Posted Image

However, it CAN'T be the case that you suck, because I'VE never heard about it either. Posted Image
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 01:14 PM

Quote:
Rivetting stuff. (and depressing at the same time.)
Yeah, this was a goodie.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,590 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 03:50 PM

I am a massive Frontline fan, and I indeed watched both parts this week (and plan on repeat viewings online). I often walk away from Frontline docus learning a great deal, but "Bush's War," was exceptionally well made. I loved it.

With regards to Holadem's comment about either PBS failing to promote it (or it being ignored...), since Frontline is really just a weekly PBS show, it basically never gets "advertised," outside of the odd snipet here or there on the station itself. It's a damn shame too, but I try to suggest the show to friends whenever I can. There are quite a few really entertaining episodes on the official site, free of course, for viewing. In particular I liked "The Merchants of Cool," and "The Credit Card" (which just aired again last week).

cheers!

Josh

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 01:36 AM

PBS is repeating this program on their HD channel. Part 1 is being shown today at 11:00 EDT.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
Frontline is one of those programs that seems to do consistently good stuff. You might just want to DVR it on a regular basis.
Done.

I am very much ashamed to confess that I didn't know about Frontline till this week. I am an NPR ho, but never gave PBS any thought.

I have perhaps an hour left to watch (eh, this thing is 4.5 hours Posted Image ).

--
H

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,524 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 27 2008 - 02:31 AM

Cool. I don't watch it regularly myself but I know you'll get a lot out of it.

The last Frontline episode I watched was about the true dangers of the Internet for children, which, in part, was a great counterpoint to all the NBC "to catch a predator" stuff. FRONTLINE: growing up online | PBS

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 03:02 AM

I did see some ads for this program but both my electronic program guide on my computer and on my cable system didn't have the running time correct. I missed recording the last half hour of part one because it was listed as being from 9-11. Fortunately my PBS station has four digital channels and it will be repeated. From what I saw, it was an excellent program. The Washington Post held an online chat with the program's producer here:

PBS Frontline: 'Bush's War' - washingtonpost.com

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Dan Mc

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 04:07 AM

I've got the PBS HD big 3 (Nova, Nature, and Frontline) set on my DVR. Awesome HD picture and always intresting content, plus no commercials. Anyway this special is basically a condensation, or best of, of previous episodes aired over the last few years. The new packaging works well and tells the complete story better than anything else I've seen.

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem

I have perhaps an hour left to watch (eh, this thing is 4.5 hours Posted Image ).

--
H

Yikes, that's longer than it took to get to "Mission Accomplished"!
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:59 AM

I downloaded this from iTunes to Apple TV today. Watched just a bit on my computer and was hooked.
¡Time is not my master!

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 02:53 PM

I'll be recording this at the recommendation of the people in this thread. It does sound interesting.

For clarification, it's 2 parts, the 1st is 2 1/2 hrs & the 2nd is 2 hrs, correct?

It's going to be on the early a.m. here, so I hope they don't mess with the timing at all.
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 27 2008 - 04:57 PM

I'm back at school in Boston finishing up a degree in print journalism, so I know a half dozen or so classmates that have interned at Frontline (which is produced by WGBH). It's shows like Frontline and Bill Moyers Journal that justify PBS in a 300+ channel cable world. No for-profit news organization is going to spend the time for in-depth analysis like this. It just doesn't sell.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,861 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
I'm back at school in Boston finishing up a degree in print journalism, so I know a half dozen or so classmates that have interned at Frontline (which is produced by WGBH). It's shows like Frontline and Bill Moyers Journal that justify PBS in a 300+ channel cable world. No for-profit news organization is going to spend the time for in-depth analysis like this. It just doesn't sell.

That's very true. No cable news station would devote the resources to make or the on-air time to show the kinds of programs Frontline does. The next time someone says we don't need PBS, show them Bush's War, or any number of other Frontline shows, and ask them if they'd ever see that on CNN or MSNBC or (egad) Fox.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,590 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
That's very true. No cable news station would devote the resources to make or the on-air time to show the kinds of programs Frontline does. The next time someone says we don't need PBS, show them Bush's War, or any number of other Frontline shows, and ask them if they'd ever see that on CNN or MSNBC or (egad) Fox.

I'm not ashamed (as a Canadian) to admitting that I actual donate a small portion of my equally meagre (being a student) income to my local PBS station during their telethons. I always make sure to tell the phone operator that it's shows like Frontline, along with their dedication to high definition that drives my donation. Also, I pretty much grew up (born in 1980) on PBS children's shows such as Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, and Square One Television.

PBS is one of my favourite channels, and Frontline is one of the reasons why.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 11:18 AM

If you're a fan of Frontline, you'd notice the first 2/3s of this are paste from previous FL docs, such as The Dark Side. In many sections the VO and interview are verbatim.

A casual viewer will enjoy the new cut (so to speak) but it is not new material. The final comment from the narrator is somewhat telling in this compilation.

Without being too political, this is a careful assembly of assumptions taken from Washington Post/NY Times writers over the past few years.

I'm a huge fan of Frontline from years past, but this subject is so carefully edited, it's difficult to find any new light.

The Frontline of old is AWOL.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 12:38 PM

What I find funny is that the thing is boldly titled Bush's War, yet makes a central case that it's more Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz's war. I supposed that title isn't as catchy Posted Image

--
H

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,524 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 28 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well, before "Bush's War" there was a "Rumsfeld's War." I guess they decided the buck stopped somewhere else. Posted Image

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow