What's new

Onkyo TX-SR805 (1 Viewer)

xboxps2gba

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I am having a problem with HDMI upconversion and with getting sound through my TV speakers. First, the HDMI upconversion works going from composite to HDMI but when I want to go from component to HDMI i get nothing, I don't know what is going on? Also I set it to the setting where in the manual it says to lower the volume on the receiver and the volume will come out of the Tv, when i do that it also doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What source unit are you hooking the 805 up to? If it's a dvd player you may have to go into the players menu and activate the component output. Many dvd players won't send a signal from composite/s-video and component at the same time. Not sure what they are saying. If you want to use your tv's speakers you should hook up your source straight to the tv. Again, need to know the source unit.

Brent_S

Second Unit
It would help if you completely described your components and how they're connected. Absent that, I'll take a shot in the dark.

Component inputs are assignable, just like digital and HDMI inputs. If you select an input via remote or front panel, but haven't assigned a corresponding component input via the setup menu, then you'll get nothing via HDMI. Page 50 in the manual for component setup.

To pass audio output from the 805 via HDMI, on the "Hardware Setup" menu you need to set "HDMI Audio" = "On"...p.99.

-Brent

xboxps2gba

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Ok, I am hooking up my nintendo wii, PS2, and DVD player to a switch which i then connect to the component INPUT 1(DVD) on my receiver. I am trying to output that through HDMI but i don't know how to assign component to HDMI. My VCR automatically assigns itself to HDMI. As far as the sound i want the option of hearing cable on my surround sound and/or my tv speakers. My cable is connected to my tv via HDMI. How would I go about this

I believe the Onkyo will only send native HDMI audio out through the tv. That is... audio from a source that's HDMI. It won't convert other audio connections to output to the tv via HDMI. I'm unable to confirm this but I'm almost sure I came across this info in another thread. Perhaps someone can confirm this?

From the 805's manual:

HDMI Audio:

This setting determines whether audio received by an
HDMI input is output by the HDMI OUT. You may want
to change this setting to On if your TV is connected to
the HDMI OUT and you want to listen to audio from an
HDMI component through your TV’s speakers. Normally,
it should be set to Off.

Off: HDMI audio is not output (default).
On: HDMI audio is output.

Notes:
• If On is selected and the signal can be output by the
TV, the AV receiver will output no sound through its
speakers.

• When TV Control is enabled, this setting is set to
Auto.

With some TVs and input signals, no sound may be
output even if On is selected.

• When the HDMI Audio setting is set to On, or TV
Control is set to Enable and you’re listening through
your TV’s speakers (see page 37), if you turn up the
AV receiver’s volume control, the sound will be output
by the AV receiver’s speakers. To stop the AV
receiver’s speakers producing sound, change the settings,
change your TV’s settings, or turn down the AV
receiver’s volume.

xboxps2gba

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I had it working a week ago, then i raised the volume to test it to go to the a/v speakers and tried to lower it again to go back to the reciever speakers and nothing.

Brent_S

Second Unit

You don't assign component to HDMI. You do have to tell the 805 you have an HDMI Monitor so that it can output via the HDMI output. P. 28 in your owner's manual. You also have to tell the 805 there's something connected to Component 1 and what button (Aux/DVD/VCR/etc.) you're going to press to select that output...p.50.

As Bill says, you can't get audio output via HDMI to your TV unless the audio comes in via HDMI as on your cable box. See P.29 of your manual for the audio signal flow chart.

Why are you routing your component video through the switch? The 805 is capable of accepting 3 component sources and 2 HDMI sources simultaneously.

-Brent

xboxps2gba

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I got everything upconverted to HDMI, I use the component switch because it also switches internet between them components. The cable box is connected to the receiver via HDMI.

Ding Guy

Grip
Real Name
matt
I just ran into that problem with my integra 7.8. I had no problem with my cable box running HDMI into the integra but when I tried the DVD I had no video. I used Svideo and composite; I had sound, no video. I am 99.9% positive that I did all of the assignments right. I also had a small sheet of insructions that said "it is not recommended that video run into the reciever do to poor quality or totaly unuseable". It also said "THX recommends all video run directly to monitor". I'm actualy pissed because I was hoping that my new integra would solve cabling issues. I guess the only good thing is that I found all this out before I had my drywall guy come and finish HT.

Brent_S

Second Unit
(e.g., component video input through to component video output)."
Key word there is optimal.

The 805/7.8 twins don't really do upconversion (ignoring the secret menu option for a moment), they only transcode from analog to HDMI. Resolution stays the same. If you have a 1080i component source, they would actually downconvert it to 720p before transcoding it to the HDMI output. It's simply a limitation of the video processor chosen. If you want better video processing with full upconversion from Onkyo, you'll need to step up to the 875 or its Integra equivalent.

Remember, unless you're using CRT, your display will upconvert/downconvert the signal to its native resolution if the supplied signal isn't already there. Unless you have a Realta/Reon/ABT chip in the receiver, the display's video processor will probably do a better job.

It's not clear if you still have the 7.8 or resolved your problem with the DVD video. If not, with enough information, I'm sure we could help you fix the condition if it still exists.

-Brent

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I have a different newbie question but it's related to the "upconversion" (upscaling) of standard DVDs to a 1080p monitor.

My DVD player is the 40GB PlayStation3 (with only one HDMI output). I have a 1080p monitor with HDMI input. Before I got the 805, I simply used the optical digital connection to my old receiver for audio and HDMI from the PS3 directly into the monitor. With the 805, I now have to connect the PS3 to it and then out to my monitor using HDMI so I can take advantage of the hi-def audio.

I have seen in reviews and Onkyo's spec sheet that the 805 does not have 1080p upscaling (and that it only goes up to 780p, according to reviews). So will my standard DVDs only go up to 780p or will the PS3 or monitor override it and still take it up to 1080p?

At this time, I cannot afford the 875.

When I read this statement from Brent_S, I feel that I'm okay with the 805.

(I understand that upconverting/upscaling does not give true 1080p. I've never seen 780p video nor compared 780p to 1080p. And, I have not connected my 805 to my system yet.)

Thank you for any replies and understanding for this newbie...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

If the source from the PS3 is 1080p via HDMI, then the Onkyo will pass it through with no scaling to the TV. The only source that is scaled to 720p is HD via component.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

ABT
Anchor Bay Technologies' ABT1010 scaler engine that can independently scale an image horizontally and vertically to further improve the picture quality on high resolution displays (to 1080i/720p with HDMI output).

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I forgot ask in my original post: Will my standard DVDs upscale to faux-1080p even though it is passing through the 805 via HDMI?

Thanks!

Ding Guy

Grip
Real Name
matt
Some of my info got screwed up. "THX recommends that video signals pass through the system without upconversion(e.g. component video through to component video output). It's also recommended that you set the Immediate Display preference to off." I looked up the immediate display section and it does not look like it would affect my current problem. The other thing that I found was " This unit can upconvert composite and s-video sources for display on a tv connected to the component video output. However, if the picture quality of the source is poor, the upconversion may make the picture worse or disapear altogether. In this case try the following options. If the video source is connected to a composite video input on this unit, connect your tv to a composite vidoe output on this unit. ect. I'm kinda a newbi but that says to me to hook my tv up to the Integra with the same connections that I'm using for my dvd player thus making my HDMI output to my tv useless for dvd playback. I would love to be wrong and if I am and someone can help that would be KILLER. Someone made mention of a secret menu or something like that, could you tell me more about this? One other thing is maybe my dvd player has an on screne menu that might fix my problem but, it has a switch on the back for component or s-video. Also Murphy's Law is in affect, now my MF'n lamp went out in my tv and I can't do anything tell the new one comes. Please Help

TNX M@

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

As I said, if the PS3 is putting out 1080p via HDMI (which it is when it upscales SD DVD), then you will get 1080p at the TV. The only source resolution that is changed by the 805 is 1080i component in scaled to 720p when it is converted to HDMI out. All other source resolutions stay the same.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
So let me get this right as i'm not up on the video stuff. If my Direct HD and Blu-Ray player is playing something that is 1080p and they both do 1080p, that signal should/can pass through the 805 through the HDMI unchanged to my 1080p plasma.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Correct, except Direct HD will never be 1080p. Broadcast, Cable and Satellite HD is always 1080i or 720p. The only 1080p out there is HD disks (Blu-ray and HD DVD) and some cameras.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't own the Onkyo 805 (yet?), but I think the key is that the receiver will simply (by default) pass what you send in as HDMI out as HDMI w/out conversion, no? I guess you can set it up to do some sort of conversion, but that's probably not desirable in most cases.

There should only be a real issue when you try to convert analog video into HDMI output through the receiver because things can vary a lot w/ the video source.

If you understand that, that probably answers a lot of the questions and would help you find whatever needed solution more quickly.

BTW, if you want good upconversion for your DVDs (and want to use HDMI), just upgrade your player, if you don't have an upconverting player. They aren't *that* expensive anymore. And you'd probably get better results w/ the upconversion done on the player side than routing all that 480i video through the receiver and then to the TV. In fact, I'd recommend upgrading to a PS3 and add excellent Blu-ray capability (and various other useful/fun media features), if you don't mind the lack of certain traditional features (eg. no native IR remote, missing front panel display, slot loading vs tray loading).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks