Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12329 replies to this topic

#7761 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 07:32 AM

South Africa!

#7762 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 07:37 AM

I forgot to add, that was from Assignment Earth.

#7763 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 08:55 AM

Nicely done. I missed that one, too.

Edited by FanCollector, April 18 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#7764 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 09:49 AM

Cool! I had not seen Assignment Earth for many months, over a year likely. It was fun to see. I only watched it up till the missile malfunction sequence. Things that never really occurred to me much seemed to pop out at me this time including:1. The accidental transport of the two cops, Charlie...obviously done for laughs. Unlike Tomorrow is Yesterday where they took that seriously to avoid historical alterations and exposure of technology.2. Spock's seemingly human side drawn to the cat, like the Tribble. This is a side of Spock not too often explored. Does he sort of enjoy it on the human level, or is he communing with the animal? Like the Horta. If he did, I suppose Isis would have been uncovered. Perhaps she shielded herself. Perhaps she enjoyed being with Soock!3. What a nicely appointed office 348 had! Must have been a cost saver since mostly everything would be off the shelf items they could buy, except for the Beta 5 computer. Had it gone to series, they mostly would be doing the transporter opticals. No space ships on a regular basis. Nice they reused the Beta 5 for the Atavacron.4. East 68th street as depicted sure looked like the backlot of Paramount with a not so eastern look to the buildings next to the office building. This sequence always takes me out, especially the reflections in the office glass does not look like New York. Of course I've never been to New York. But I can buy it as its a fun episode. 5. The limited budget certainly was stretched well to create that small set over the launch control where they hold Kirk and Spock. It's simple, but it works.6. Because of recent comments Lee made, I'm more aware now of McCoy's absence. Yet, he seems like he's there. He's only there for the first act! 7. With the exception of Chapel, the whole bridge crew is there.That's about it. So two more to go still, one probably the one I stumbled onto. I have another episode in mind to watch that might have the other answer.By the way, on another topic, I'm reading Paul Olsen's book now. It's mostly about his life and experiences that led up to his gig painting the Starship Enterprise for The Motion Picture. It's fascinating so far.

#7765 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 11:01 AM

A plethora of great observations about an episode I haven't seen in a long time. In no particular order...You're so right about Spock and the cat. Unlike Tribbles, where it's just a joke, that connection seems to foreshadow Isis's more complex nature. Spock doesn't seem conscious of any communication, but something is occurring there.This was the episode I had most clearly in mind when I referred to earlier isolated episodes in which McCoy had little to do. Part of the reason is that, as a back door pilot, most of the regulars are given less to do in favor of the proposed new stars. Many shows from the '60s to the '90s did these kinds of shows, usually as the last episode of the season or of the whole series. And the regular cast was always given less to do, if they appeared at all. All the studios seemed to have their "New York street" which they mixed with stock footage to convey the city without going there. This instance isn't any better than most, although they did get a decent crowd at least.I'm surprised Paramount didn't jump at the chance to make a science fiction show that wouldn't have required building any new devices or strange sets. Good or bad, it would have been cheaper. (Or not. Maybe they thought of Mission: Impossible's budgets and decided it wasn't necessarily such a bargain.)

#7766 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 11:03 PM

Lee, perhaps I didn't take notice before that other series had episodes as back door pilots. If I didn't know Assignment Earth was a pilot, then it might have passed over my head too!I watched Wolf in the Fold tonight in search of the other answer. I thought perhaps I had forgotten another city Jack struck in, but no. Aberdeen is in Scotland and Scott already named that, and Kiev is in Russia and that was already mentioned.You come from Rigel 4. I think the best part of this episode, and it's not in my top 50, is John Felder. What a range! He was one of my favorites as Dr. Hartley's patients. To a dead serious air traffic controller in Skyjacked. And as Mr Hercules too in Get Smart.

#7767 of 12330 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 05:01 AM

Nelson,I too like John Fiedler.  Whenever I hear his voice though, I think of 'Piglet' in Winnie the Pooh.

#7768 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 06:29 AM

In the days before "final episodes" were used to provide closure, producers would try to get new shows sold as the last episodes of a series. Thus, insult would be added to injury as, not only was your favorite show finished forever, but the last episode was mostly about characters you had never seen before. (Assignment Earth, for example, must have been planned and probably filmed before the series was renewed for a third season.)I've never seen Skyjacked. Is it good? Fiedler was always terrific. Agreed about The Bob Newhart Show. He played so well off of Jack Riley especially. And Scott, you're not alone. I think I mentioned once before how my high school students would hear him speak in 12 Angry Men and immediately recognize him as Piglet.The other reference to Redjac's atlas of terror was China, which had already been mentioned (a little less unpleasantly) in The City on the Edge of Forever. Both my remaining answers are, as far as I know, mentioned just once and both are heard in first season episodes.

#7769 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 07:11 AM

Interesting Lee, it never occurred to me that Assignment Earth was filmed before they knew the series was renewed. I wonder if the cast knew or if this was the case. If it was known the series was in jeopardy, you'd never know it from their performances. I had forgotten some of my favorite Odd Couple episodes, the one with the seemingly mistreated famous dog that Felix steals from the mean owner that Fiedler played, or the security minded manager of a security building Oscar and Felix move into. He was working a lot!Skyjacked, I remember seeing on TV in my youth and it imprinted on me for some reason. Yes, it ihas been called a disaster movie, with all the cliches. But for some reason, for me, it rises above that. It seems to be more then a disaster flick and has a life of its own. I always pair it with the second Airport movie that stars Heston. But i can see how some would look at it today and feel its kind of silly. A great cast too, Chuck Heston, Yvette Mimieux, James Brolin, Marriette Hartley, Walter Pidgeon, Claude Akins, Susan Dey, Nicolas Hammond and so many more and John Fiedler of course in a small part. It is on DVD if you decide to check it out. I am hoping a blu ray might come out, but I'm pretty sure it's not! Okay, for the trivia, thanks for the clue. I know one of the final answers because I stumbled on it. New Paris crossed my mind, but that's not on Earth and France was already named. And Mojave crossed my mind, but for some reason, I was thinking Sahara! At any rate, Mojave is in the USA and that was already named, wasn't it?

#7770 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yes, Mojave is in the Western US. One of the remaining answers is a nation of the past, not the present.The series was officially renewed in February or March, so they couldn't have known for sure when they were filming Assignment Earth. They may have felt more or less confident, but there was no guarantee.Great Odd Couple episodes. His turn as G. Martin Duke is fabulous, and even allows a little of that Hengist quality to come out. I'll look for Skyjacked. Boy, Heston presided over a lot of unpleasant happenings in the 1970s.

Edited by FanCollector, April 19 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#7771 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 11:48 AM

I can't say I was a big fan of Winnie the Pooh. But I do remember all the distinctive voices and Fiedler's.

"Silver, Come!" I'll have to play that episode this weekend!

I always wondered about Heston, as you said, in the 1970's he was in the middle of many disasters and died so often! And after coming off The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur. I suppose The Planet of the Apes could be blamed for his going down that path of sometimes negative science fiction films, The Omega Man and Soylent Green. But they were mostly all good stuff, which could be partly why I like Skyjacked so much. It was in the opposite direction and a plausible plot.

Okay, if no one names the country I had accidentally stumbled on, I'll name it but not till I find that other one, or someone else finds it!

#7772 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 06:45 AM

"Welcome to Devil's Island!". South America?

#7773 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 08:13 AM

Persia! ?

#7774 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 12:39 PM

Persia is it, from The Squire of Gothos! (I would also have taken Nubia. Same episode, same kind of thing. No need to hold out for both.)

Edited by FanCollector, April 20 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#7775 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 01:27 PM

"Ah, a Nubian prize....". The Squire of Gothos finally occurred to me this morning! Okay, the final answer that I stumbled on I think is Belgium from Errand of Mercy. Shatner said it very softly after he said Armenia, I never noticed it before.

#7776 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 01:34 PM

That's all of them. In the absence of any real idea of the way Earth is organized in Star Trek's time, just a few nods to national distinction.Scott got five and Nelson got 13 or 14. Your turn.

#7777 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 02:55 PM

That was an interesting question as it examined something I hadn't given too much thought over, which is if the Earth's nations are still as they are today? Obviously they left this very vague, but it is implied that the cultural heritage of each nations are more or less intact by how Roddenberry chose the bridge crew. When actual countries are named that were the answers to the question, they were almost all used in a historical way.I have a question in mind and I'll post it shortly after I have a chance to be sure I have it vetted out.

#7778 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 05:11 PM

I agree that cultural differences seem to be noted and enjoyed in Star Trek, but the implication is that there are no more separate political entities on Earth. Hints in dialogue (like "United Earth Space Probe Agency") are matched by story points. In A Piece of the Action, for example, both Kirk and Spock seem less disturbed by the fact that the Iotians are governed by criminals than that they have at least twelve (!) separate local governments on the planet. Planetary unity seems to be considered the most basic first political step in Star Trek.

#7779 of 12330 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,814 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 08:53 PM

The series certainly eludes to a single governing body of Earth. Though the films show a president of the Federation stationed on Earth, and not necessarily a leader of the planet. 

Heres the next question:

Name all the Enterprise crew members who actually actuated the energizers on the transporter. The guy who actually slides the sliders and pushes the buttons.  :)

I found 10. Plus one who is not clearly seen. And a possible additional 12th. Six are clearly recognized characters and or are addressed by a name. Four of these are not actually named in the episode, so in those cases, name the episode if you can. If you know the name, then you are a true trivia master!

#7780 of 12330 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,629 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 10:19 PM

The Cloudminders seems to offer the clearest view of planetary status in the Federation. Member planets have responsibilities and limitations, but still retain a lot of autonomy.Love the question. How about we start at middling difficulty with Mr. O'Neill and Dr. McCoy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users