What's new

Happy Days - future releases may be too musical (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I don't know about season 4, which has yet to be announced but I'm in the midst of transferring to DVD the 5th season from off-network records and I have to say there is so much music in there that I can't see how Paramount could possibly put this out. The episodes where Suzi Quatro guest stars are filled with songs. There would be about 12 minutes left once they took the music out. Right now I'm doing the Valentine's Day episode and the whole show is love songs. It's one thing for them to eliminate the little 5 second snippets of music for transition scenes but this season's shows are full of music. Again, I don't have season four but if it's anything like season five then I think this series may be done.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Somewhat OT, but I just ordered Happy Days Season 2, R2, and am curious to see if any of the music cuts survived - knowing that there are different rules governing the use of music in the UK (hence shows like Ally McBeal seeing release in R2). I won't hold my breath but I will keep my fingers crossed.

S

silverking

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post once & let us know when you have the set.

My guess would be they just used the American prints but if not then I may double dip as I find the changes disconcerting.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski

I suspect you are right but I'll definitely post my findings once I receive...hopefully later this week.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski

I received today. The box art still retains the music substitution warning of the r1 version but I haven't watched yet to confirm. The art looks identical to the r1 version so I'm still holding out hope. I'll be watching this later so I'll let y'all know what I find.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I quickly scanned some of the episodes and here's what I found:

1. Transfers look to be the same as r1.
2. Like r1 release, themesong is not Rock Around the Clock, but rather the season 3+ Happy Days theme with season 2 opening visuals.
3. Good news: from the handful of episodes I scanned, it appears that the original music is intact...and on the 1 episode's closing credits I watched, the card with the "contributing artists" is intact as well (unlike the r1 release where it was dropped).

So, aside from the themesong, it looks like this is as close to the original broadcasts as we have on DVD currently. I'm going to start watching the complete episodes tonight so I'll see if there appears to be anything missing. This may be worth a double dip for some of you HD fans.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
Great news Matt!!
Do you also happen to know if the Roseanne sets are also uncut in the R2 region?

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski

Sorry. I don't know about the Roseanne sets.

I did watched some more episodes last night and so far, there have been no music substitutions and the original paramount logo appears after the credits as opposed the the new CBS Paramount logo on the r1 release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Lucky Brits. We need the laws that they have here.

Do you know about the similar status of Laverne and Shirley in Region 2?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

All the reason more NOT to release the episodes.

Thankfull,he makes a BETTER director than singer :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Anson Williams had a recording career, and his single had his name in a hard-to-read script font. Who was the target audience, near-sighted Andy Williams fans?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Reviving this thread to ask about the music content in the R2 sets of the first 2 season sets as compared to the R1 sets:

Can anyone confirm that the music content (with the exception of the opening theme) is intact in the S1 & S2 sets as originally broadcast in the 70's?

I am going to buy the R2 sets if this is true. I read earlier in the thread that Matt indicated that the R2 S2 set includes the original music. I would like to confirm that with the S2 set as well as the S1 set.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
This topic is for Region 1 releases of the series, not Region 2,3 or, 4.

At any rate, I think we've seen the end of the Happy Days releases. Don't expect any more to be released anytime soon until the music rights issue is resolved.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

What? So Jeff can't ask a simple question about the R2 here?

Gary "I've been wondering the same thing myself and would have to seriously consider a region free player if there were no music cuts on the R2 sets" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks