Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Happy Days - future releases may be too musical

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 03:05 AM

I don't know about season 4, which has yet to be announced but I'm in the midst of transferring to DVD the 5th season from off-network records and I have to say there is so much music in there that I can't see how Paramount could possibly put this out. The episodes where Suzi Quatro guest stars are filled with songs. There would be about 12 minutes left once they took the music out. Right now I'm doing the Valentine's Day episode and the whole show is love songs. It's one thing for them to eliminate the little 5 second snippets of music for transition scenes but this season's shows are full of music. Again, I don't have season four but if it's anything like season five then I think this series may be done.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted February 18 2008 - 08:27 AM

Somewhat OT, but I just ordered Happy Days Season 2, R2, and am curious to see if any of the music cuts survived - knowing that there are different rules governing the use of music in the UK (hence shows like Ally McBeal seeing release in R2). I won't hold my breath but I will keep my fingers crossed.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 09:43 AM

I would hazard a guess to say that they would actually delete that episode right off the set.

#4 of 32 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted February 18 2008 - 07:14 PM

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post once & let us know when you have the set. My guess would be they just used the American prints but if not then I may double dip as I find the changes disconcerting.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted February 19 2008 - 01:43 AM

I suspect you are right but I'll definitely post my findings once I receive...hopefully later this week.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 07:20 PM

It also seems around this time Anson Williams sings a song every episode.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted February 25 2008 - 02:54 AM

I received today. The box art still retains the music substitution warning of the r1 version but I haven't watched yet to confirm. The art looks identical to the r1 version so I'm still holding out hope. I'll be watching this later so I'll let y'all know what I find.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted February 25 2008 - 06:15 AM

I quickly scanned some of the episodes and here's what I found: 1. Transfers look to be the same as r1. 2. Like r1 release, themesong is not Rock Around the Clock, but rather the season 3+ Happy Days theme with season 2 opening visuals. 3. Good news: from the handful of episodes I scanned, it appears that the original music is intact...and on the 1 episode's closing credits I watched, the card with the "contributing artists" is intact as well (unlike the r1 release where it was dropped). So, aside from the themesong, it looks like this is as close to the original broadcasts as we have on DVD currently. I'm going to start watching the complete episodes tonight so I'll see if there appears to be anything missing. This may be worth a double dip for some of you HD fans.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 09:42 AM

Yeap, and those songs were recorded previously by many recording artists during the 50's and 60's.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Demis G

Demis G

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 05:52 PM

Great news Matt!! Do you also happen to know if the Roseanne sets are also uncut in the R2 region?

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted February 26 2008 - 02:27 AM

Sorry. I don't know about the Roseanne sets. I did watched some more episodes last night and so far, there have been no music substitutions and the original paramount logo appears after the credits as opposed the the new CBS Paramount logo on the r1 release.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,679 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 26 2008 - 02:49 AM

Lucky Brits. We need the laws that they have here. Do you know about the similar status of Laverne and Shirley in Region 2?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted February 26 2008 - 08:03 AM

I don't think that has been released in r2 yet.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,162 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 05:13 PM

All the reason more NOT to release the episodes.

Thankfull,he makes a BETTER director than singer Posted Image

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,679 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 27 2008 - 03:05 AM

Anson Williams had a recording career, and his single had his name in a hard-to-read script font. Who was the target audience, near-sighted Andy Williams fans?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 02 2008 - 11:43 AM

Reviving this thread to ask about the music content in the R2 sets of the first 2 season sets as compared to the R1 sets: Can anyone confirm that the music content (with the exception of the opening theme) is intact in the S1 & S2 sets as originally broadcast in the 70's? I am going to buy the R2 sets if this is true. I read earlier in the thread that Matt indicated that the R2 S2 set includes the original music. I would like to confirm that with the S2 set as well as the S1 set.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 03 2008 - 04:07 AM

Nope, there has been music replaced in the sets for the Region 1 releases.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   whisperintherain

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted May 03 2008 - 04:09 AM

Which is precisely why Jeff was asking about the Region 2 releases. Posted Image
Bring these sets on!

Knots Landing: Seasons 3-14 - The Nanny: Seasons 4-6 - Peyton Place : Episodes 65-514 - Picket Fences : Seasons 2-4

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted May 04 2008 - 07:04 AM

This topic is for Region 1 releases of the series, not Region 2,3 or, 4. At any rate, I think we've seen the end of the Happy Days releases. Don't expect any more to be released anytime soon until the music rights issue is resolved.

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,640 posts

Posted May 04 2008 - 07:46 AM

What? So Jeff can't ask a simple question about the R2 here? Gary "I've been wondering the same thing myself and would have to seriously consider a region free player if there were no music cuts on the R2 sets" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users