-

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 2-12-2008

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#21 of 66 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted February 10 2008 - 05:56 AM

I'm still trying to figure out if there are enough films in the Oscar collection that I don't already have (either in the Looney Tunes collections or as extras on various dvds) to make it worth purchasing.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#22 of 66 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,536 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 10 2008 - 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Brian
That's assuming, of course, that you can find a store employee to wake up... Posted Image
It's been my experience that the staff usually outnumber the customers in most Circuit City stores.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#23 of 66 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,782 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 10 2008 - 07:02 AM

Nothing for me this week. I will probably rent Gone Baby Gone though.

Thanks for the prices, guys! Posted Image

#24 of 66 James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted February 10 2008 - 07:58 AM

The Batman double feature only includes the full screen version of Mask of the Phantasm. I guess the rumoured SE is out. It's a shame that one of the best Bat films can't get a decent upgrade.

#25 of 66 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 10 2008 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cappelletty
Mike,

It looks like IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON is $14.98 at Best Buy, not $17.98 (but if my Costco carries it for $13, I'm gettin' it there!).

Thanks, Mark! I completely missed THAT in the flyer. bb.com has it for $17.99. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton
Finally we have Zapped!!!

Does anyone know if the DVD is OAR???

Amazon lists it as having both FS and WS versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J
Does it have to be a certain type of lid or will any lid do?

There's always gotta be one wisea$$ in the bunch. And, Scott, it's you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
I may finally have to bite on Planet Earth this week, either through the in store sale or online. We're dying to see it.

Jason: You won't be sorry. I can heartily recommend both the SD & BD versions. The SD has better features...but if you are into either HD format the upgrade in picture quality actually makes up for the missing feature material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman
Lastly, I will NetFlix Gone Baby Gone (since I have heard good things about here on the Forum) and In the Shadow of the Moon. I saw Moon when it opened the True/False Film Festival last March. It is a stunner and comes highly recommended.

I was blown away by the trailer at In the Shadow of the Moon and am now REALLY looking forward to it.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#26 of 66 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted February 10 2008 - 04:05 PM

Received an email from Amazon that In the Shadow of the Moon is now set for release on March 15th. I'm hoping stores have this on Tuesday (b&m or online) as it is my only purchase this week.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#27 of 66 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,074 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 10 2008 - 04:09 PM

i work at BBV.
we received out rental copies last week.
i could check tomorrow to see of there has been a change on the date
facebook.com/whotony

#28 of 66 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 10 2008 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
Received an email from Amazon that In the Shadow of the Moon is now set for release on March 15th. I'm hoping stores have this on Tuesday (b&m or online) as it is my only purchase this week.

Hmmm. The In the Shadow of the Moon website still says 2-12-08.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#29 of 66 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 12:20 AM

I noticed that too which I thought was weird given that Amazon is clearly saying its delayed. Looking at other online retailers sites I'm starting to think its a glitch in Amazon's system.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#30 of 66 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,837 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Quote:
I may finally have to bite on Planet Earth this week, either through the in store sale or online. We're dying to see it
Jason: You won't be sorry. I can heartily recommend both the SD & BD versions. The SD has better features...but if you are into either HD format the upgrade in picture quality actually makes up for the missing feature material.

Hmmm... I hadn't realized the SD version has more extra features. I ordered mine on BD just the other day from Amazon. I was originally just gonna wait for DDD's semi-annual 20%-off coupon. But Amazon has it on sale for ~$55 now -- and I still get $5 off w/ my Amazon credit card. It's the same price as DDD, but I get the feeling they'll probably bump the price back up later, so not much point waiting further.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#31 of 66 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 11 2008 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
Hmmm... I hadn't realized the SD version has more extra features. I ordered mine on BD just the other day from Amazon. I was originally just gonna wait for DDD's semi-annual 20%-off coupon. But Amazon has it on sale for ~$55 now -- and I still get $5 off w/ my Amazon credit card. It's the same price as DDD, but I get the feeling they'll probably bump the price back up later, so not much point waiting further.

Man: The SD does have more features...and they ARE nice. They are basically 10 minute "making of" featurettes focussed on the episode you just watched. But...the HD picture of the BD makes the BD version the one for you to get. The programs stand on their own.

Maybe sometime you can borrow the SD versions from a library or friend just to see those features. I'm very much into TV production (professionally) and to see what those guys went through to get some of those shots was, indeed, fascinating. But I'd much rather have the HD images.

Those current prices at amazon are the bee's knees. I just bought my BD copy of Planet Earth in a used bin and paid more than the current amazon price. Posted Image

#32 of 66 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,687 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 11 2008 - 06:52 AM

Quote:

I keep seeing screen caps and imagining what PE will be like on Blu. It's something the BF and I can get into together. I'm hesitating only because neither of us have an HD TV yet (coming soon, hopefully) and I don't know if we have the willpower to keep it on the shelf without watching it. Posted Image

#33 of 66 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 11 2008 - 07:06 AM

I watched the show all the way through in SD just a few months ago. Now that I've got a BD player (this was the title I couldn't wait to double-dip on), I am now re-watching the episodes in bits and pieces whenever I can find a few spare minutes.

They are images (that, frankly, even in SD) still blow you away. My teenage son watched all the way through and kept exclaiming "Fake!" (in a joking manner) as there was one image after another which seemed impossible to have happened in nature. The images are just that-much-more phenomenal in HD. Posted Image

#34 of 66 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,687 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 11 2008 - 07:13 AM

You make me jealous, sir. Very very jealous. Posted Image

#35 of 66 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 11 2008 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
You make me jealous, sir. Very very jealous. Posted Image

It is a nature documentary that transcends all others that came before it. It is majestic in scope. It is all about the images they have captured. It took years to complete.

Is there stuff missing? You bet. But what was captured is unbelievable. My family doesn't have the patience for nature documentaries, but this one...is different. You'll see. You and BF will be awestruck. That's a guarantee.

If you don't have the SD version yet and don't know when you will upgrade to HD (player AND set). Get the SD now and sell it used to a willing party when you upgrade and you'll be able to recoup most of your costs when you upgrade to BD and HDTV.

That's what I did. I had a relative who was more than willing to pay me $40 for my pristine used SD set...which covered most of the cost of my BD. Or, just as good, give your used SD copy to a close friend or family member who would appreciate (you'll know who that is after you watch the set) and give it as a gift! They will care less that it's been opened. Posted Image

#36 of 66 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,687 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 11 2008 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
If you don't have the SD version yet and don't know when you will upgrade to HD (player AND set). Get the SD now and sell it used to a willing party when you upgrade and you'll be able to recoup most of your costs when you upgrade to BD and HDTV.

Got the PS3 and the HD A3 right now. I'm hoping for a 46 inch HD TV sometime in April. I'm thinking I can hold out that long. Maybe buy now-once pay day hits Thursday, obviously-and then stick it on the shelf.

I'm already sold on it. Just hafta pull the trigger now. (You're a good pitch man, Mike. Posted Image )

#37 of 66 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 11 2008 - 08:26 AM

Oh man...you've already got the PS3. Pull the trigger already. Even if you watch it non-HD...no problemo.

One day you'll have that HD set and watch it all over again...just like it's the very first time! Posted Image

And don't forget to let me know if I was right! Posted Image

Amazon should be sending some finders fees my way! Posted Image

#38 of 66 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,687 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 11 2008 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
And don't forget to let me know if I was right! Posted Image

No question there. I know you're right. I've got around 60 HD/BD discs sitting on the shelf. They all work just fine on my TV now.

Quote:
Amazon should be sending some finders fees my way! Posted Image

Affiliate program!

2014 Movie Diary on Letterboxd

#39 of 66 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 10:51 AM

Quote:
Man: The SD does have more features...and they ARE nice. They are basically 10 minute "making of" featurettes focussed on the episode you just watched. But...the HD picture of the BD makes the BD version the one for you to get. The programs stand on their own.
In addition to those featurettes (nearly 2 hours worth), the SD set also has a 2.5 hour companion program, Planet Earth: The Future. Here's Amazon's description of that:
Quote:
Documentary: Planet Earth - The Future: This 3-part, 2 1/2 hour series looks at what the future may hold for endangered animals, habitats and -- ultimately -- ourselves. Following the environmental issues raised by Planet Earth, it asks why so many species are threatened and how they can be protected in future. (SD release only)
So, in all, there's nearly 4.5 hours of bonuses exclusive to the SD set, which is why I haven't upgraded to either HD set, even though I've bought into both formats since getting the SD set.

I haven't actually watched my set yet (but after reading the comments in this thread, I'll probably do it soon), so i can't actually comment on the quality of the extras.

#40 of 66 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 11 2008 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J
In addition to those featurettes (nearly 2 hours worth), the SD set also has a 2.5 hour companion program, Planet Earth: The Future. Here's Amazon's description of that:

So, in all, there's nearly 4.5 hours of bonuses exclusive to the SD set, which is why I haven't upgraded to either HD set, even though I've bought into both formats since getting the SD set.

I haven't actually watched my set yet (but after reading the comments in this thread, I'll probably do it soon), so i can't actually comment on the quality of the extras.

Scott: You are absolutely right. I forgot about the 5th disc. There's a reason for that. IMHO, it is eminently forgettable. But that is, obviously, a YMMV situation. I started to watch the 5th disc and found myself choking on the "Save our planet" message. I started to skip around and realized that there was nothing on disc #5 that was similar to what was on discs #1-4.

The short featurettes are a loss. No doubt about that. But I never gave ANY thought to the fact I was giving up disc #5.

But I suppose someone who's looking for a slice of "message" with their documentary ice cream would want to consider whether to get that fifth disc.

Sorry, Jason & Man that it slipped my mind. Thanks, Scott.

Back to Bargains and Deals

Forum Nav Content I Follow