What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-12-2008 (1 Viewer)

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
When I went to best buy they had guess who's coming to dinner for 19.99. I said I thought this was 14.99 they said nope. So I said oh well and bought it. I went back to work and saw on their website as well as on our roundup that it was 14.99. So I had to actually go back to the store and show them their web page to get the right price.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Hey Costco members, don't bother checking the stores for IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON. I'm pressed for time today, so I had the forethought to call the Culver City store. Apparently -- based on the SKU # I gave them -- it's only available online, which, with shipping and handling, immediately negates its appeal to me. Blech. At least I got my Best Buy coupons for this weekend (sorry Mike).

Jay*W

Second Unit
Mark,

Any sign of Charlie Chan at Costco?

Jay

P.S. Many thanks to Mike for his tireless efforts in putting the roundup together!

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Alright, what the hell's the deal with Best Buy? Their weekly ad lists Transformers etc as $29.99 B1G1, but the main site says their price is only $19.99. Which is it!?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Probably both.

It's not uncommon for a retailer's weekly sale flyer and website to disagree on deals/prices.

Anyone looking for the HD-DVD (which is what I assume you're talking about here) of Transformers can walk into their local BB store and purchase it in connection with the BOGO sale at the $29.99 pricepoint...or order it from bb.com where it is listed as "on sale" for $19.99.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

It's not listed as "Web-Only" so Best Buy's price policy, which specifically mentions the website, should apply. Meaning it should be $19.99 in store as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, based on a number of personal experiences and accounts given by others in prior RoundUps...all I can say, Joe is "good luck with that."

Trying to get the personnel at a BB B&M to meet their website prices is a real YMMV situation.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
best buy were i work will price match their own web site.

:cool:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Okay...everybody...party at Tony's store! :D

Maybe they've finally figured out that they should all be working together. It seems like maybe these problems have died down some and that they have cleaned up their act. I hope so.

Of course, that could also be a lesson to any future retailer about the long memories people develop when their local store treats them in a way that just doesn't make any sense...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I found a copy of In the Shadow of the Moon at my local FYE store last night. They had received two. Although Best Buy (where I stopped first) showed they had 13 in-store...they couldn;'t find one for me. They surprisingly helpful employee spent quite a bit of time on the challenge. When he failed to find one, he immediately printed me up a raincheck so I could be sure to get their price.

====================

On the same trip I stopped at Circuit City to see if I could find some of their $6.99 titles this week (with the movie cash). I was only doing this to help out my daughter in Virginia who had called to complain she had zero luck at her local CC.

The four titles she wanted: The Patriot (new release), Memoirs of a Geisha, Pursuit of Happyness and the dual Spider-Man 1 & 2 set (a GREAT deal at $6.99 for the two WS movies!).

Even though I knew better, I went to the bins in the center aisle to see if there were any there. No. So then I start the search through their racks--which (as usually seems to be the case) were in the state of being shifted around--stacks of disc on the floor and on carts everywhere!

First, I find the old release of The Patriot and figure it'll have to do. I then go the "S" section of "Action" and find none of the Spidey sets. I found one Memoirs of a Geisha in the drama section! Woohoo! I figure I'm doing well to go 2-for-4 (sort of). I am basically looking at EVERY DVD on the shelves because of their lack of organization.

I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW FRUSTRATING CC CAN BE! I hadn't been there in a long time.

On an endcap I find a hidden copy of The Patriot (new release)! This is like a treasure hunt! Then, I find--in the box set section--the two movie Spidey set! :D

I then have a slight panic because I'm not sure if the movie cash is supposed to be inside specially-marked copies of the movies. Turns out, no...the movie cash is at the register.

No Pursuit of Happyness copies to be found ANYWHERE.

But, I end up with three of the films and movie cash tickets of the four that my daughter wanted. :emoji_thumbsup: But it took probably the better part of an hour. :thumbsdown:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been there in a couple of years cause of that. I don't even pay attention to them in the roundup anymore. I don't care what their price is, it's just not worth it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I honestly couldn't remember the last time I had been in my local Circuit City. They had moved some of their media stuff around.

For example, I don't know if they were stocking HD media the last time I was in there. So, for the first time, I looked over their Blu-ray section. And, yes, I was completely aggravated that I had to look completely through each stack of BDs on those stupid shelving units to see what was there. They had quite a bit in stock, though.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
I went to my local Best Buy today to see if they had "In the Shadow of the Moon." The website showed that the store had it in-stock. I first checked the new release section which had tags for all of the new releases and their sale prices. They had a section and tag for "....Moon", but no copies there. I decided to also check the "special interest" section or whatever it's called where they have a pathetically small selection of documentary-type material. They had one copy of it there, so I grabbed it. I got it for $14.99 minus the 10% off coupon, so $13.50 plus tax.

But now I'm a bit concerned that there might be something defective with the disc if orders are being recalled/returned. Are actual discs being sent back from retailers to the distributor, or is it just that retailers aren't getting their stock of the title in? Has anybody watched the DVD yet to see if there are any problems with it functionally? I haven't had a chance to watch mine yet.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Check out this thread about the availability issues. It has a link to a Video Business article about what is causing the shortage problems. In short it was a legal issue between distributors and nothing to do with the disc itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks