What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-12-2008 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's been my experience that the staff usually outnumber the customers in most Circuit City stores.

James@R

Second Unit
The Batman double feature only includes the full screen version of Mask of the Phantasm. I guess the rumoured SE is out. It's a shame that one of the best Bat films can't get a decent upgrade.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Received an email from Amazon that In the Shadow of the Moon is now set for release on March 15th. I'm hoping stores have this on Tuesday (b&m or online) as it is my only purchase this week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i work at BBV.
we received out rental copies last week.
i could check tomorrow to see of there has been a change on the date

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I noticed that too which I thought was weird given that Amazon is clearly saying its delayed. Looking at other online retailers sites I'm starting to think its a glitch in Amazon's system.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... I hadn't realized the SD version has more extra features. I ordered mine on BD just the other day from Amazon. I was originally just gonna wait for DDD's semi-annual 20%-off coupon. But Amazon has it on sale for ~$55 now -- and I still get $5 off w/ my Amazon credit card. It's the same price as DDD, but I get the feeling they'll probably bump the price back up later, so not much point waiting further.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Man: The SD does have more features...and they ARE nice. They are basically 10 minute "making of" featurettes focussed on the episode you just watched. But...the HD picture of the BD makes the BD version the one for you to get. The programs stand on their own.

Maybe sometime you can borrow the SD versions from a library or friend just to see those features. I'm very much into TV production (professionally) and to see what those guys went through to get some of those shots was, indeed, fascinating. But I'd much rather have the HD images.

Those current prices at amazon are the bee's knees. I just bought my BD copy of Planet Earth in a used bin and paid more than the current amazon price. :frowning:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I keep seeing screen caps and imagining what PE will be like on Blu. It's something the BF and I can get into together. I'm hesitating only because neither of us have an HD TV yet (coming soon, hopefully) and I don't know if we have the willpower to keep it on the shelf without watching it. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the show all the way through in SD just a few months ago. Now that I've got a BD player (this was the title I couldn't wait to double-dip on), I am now re-watching the episodes in bits and pieces whenever I can find a few spare minutes.

They are images (that, frankly, even in SD) still blow you away. My teenage son watched all the way through and kept exclaiming "Fake!" (in a joking manner) as there was one image after another which seemed impossible to have happened in nature. The images are just that-much-more phenomenal in HD. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It is a nature documentary that transcends all others that came before it. It is majestic in scope. It is all about the images they have captured. It took years to complete.

Is there stuff missing? You bet. But what was captured is unbelievable. My family doesn't have the patience for nature documentaries, but this one...is different. You'll see. You and BF will be awestruck. That's a guarantee.

If you don't have the SD version yet and don't know when you will upgrade to HD (player AND set). Get the SD now and sell it used to a willing party when you upgrade and you'll be able to recoup most of your costs when you upgrade to BD and HDTV.

That's what I did. I had a relative who was more than willing to pay me $40 for my pristine used SD set...which covered most of the cost of my BD. Or, just as good, give your used SD copy to a close friend or family member who would appreciate (you'll know who that is after you watch the set) and give it as a gift! They will care less that it's been opened. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Got the PS3 and the HD A3 right now. I'm hoping for a 46 inch HD TV sometime in April. I'm thinking I can hold out that long. Maybe buy now-once pay day hits Thursday, obviously-and then stick it on the shelf.

I'm already sold on it. Just hafta pull the trigger now. (You're a good pitch man, Mike. :D )

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh man...you've already got the PS3. Pull the trigger already. Even if you watch it non-HD...no problemo.

One day you'll have that HD set and watch it all over again...just like it's the very first time! :laugh:

And don't forget to let me know if I was right! ;)

Amazon should be sending some finders fees my way! :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So, in all, there's nearly 4.5 hours of bonuses exclusive to the SD set, which is why I haven't upgraded to either HD set, even though I've bought into both formats since getting the SD set.

I haven't actually watched my set yet (but after reading the comments in this thread, I'll probably do it soon), so i can't actually comment on the quality of the extras.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Scott: You are absolutely right. I forgot about the 5th disc. There's a reason for that. IMHO, it is eminently forgettable. But that is, obviously, a YMMV situation. I started to watch the 5th disc and found myself choking on the "Save our planet" message. I started to skip around and realized that there was nothing on disc #5 that was similar to what was on discs #1-4.

The short featurettes are a loss. No doubt about that. But I never gave ANY thought to the fact I was giving up disc #5.

But I suppose someone who's looking for a slice of "message" with their documentary ice cream would want to consider whether to get that fifth disc.

Sorry, Jason & Man that it slipped my mind. Thanks, Scott.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

well bad news probably.
we had a destroy order for every copy of the dvd today, so it appears there may be a delay or other prolem with the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks