What's new

Musicals (1 Viewer)

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Having watched the That's Entertainment trilogy in high definition has only wetted my appetite for more classic musicals to be released in high definition.

The quality of much of the material was stunning and I can't wait for releases of Singin' In The Rain, The Band Wagon, High Society and The Wizard of Oz (as a start).

I hope we will not have to wait too long for them to come out.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think we'll see The Wizard of Oz and Singin' in the Rain first, as these have already been transferred using Warner's Ultra Resolution process, like The Adventures of Robin Hood.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I have to finish watching the 3-BD set of That's Entertainment, but what I've seen so far has done the same for me: wet my appetite for classic musicals in HD!

Worth noting is that the clips of films like singing in the rain in the That's Entertainment set are from analog prints from some time ago and don't even represent the quality we'll see given the digitally-registered 4K masters used for the lastest DVD and theatrical prints (I saw a 35 mm pring of singing in the rain after this process and it was gorgeous).

Even better!

dave :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm willing to wait for quality work. Considering that musicals tended to get treated to the state of the art of technology of the time (Technicolor, stereo, widescreen) they deserve the same treatment on BD.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Sound of Music, West Side Story, or more recently Moulin Rouge would look nice in HD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
West Side Story was on HDNet Movies, but the transfer they used had serious edge enhancement problems. I heard they were making a new 70mm print.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd sooooo love to see Moulin Rouge. That film would be stunning in hi-def.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The MPEG2 D-VHS tape of Moulin Rouge was spectacular. I can only imagine what a high-bit-rate AVC compressed version would behold.

I wish Sony would get that darned upgrade out for the PS3 so I could decode DTS-HD MA (which Fox uses on all of its HD releases)!

dave :)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
David, you claim that "Worth noting is that the clips of films like singing in the rain in the That's Entertainment set are from analog prints from some time ago and don't even represent the quality we'll see given the digitally-registered 4K masters used for the lastest DVD and theatrical prints"

yet I have read in several places that exactly the opposite is true, and that restored sequences were substituted for many key sequences. In fact, Robert Harris says in his review on this very forum "but where work has been performed, higher quality elements have been substituted."

So who's right ? I suspect Mr. Harris is, as the excerpts from High Society are just so unbelievably crisp and clean, they stand out compared to many sequences around them.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

thanks for enlightening me. I assumed that given the age of the film, the clips would have been from the original source without substitutions. If I'm mistaken I'm thrilled to hear it! (and indeed many of those sequences looked darn good... better than I had imagined). Can you direct me to another link or thread that discusses this?

thanks!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
While I can seldom remember what I ate for lunch today, I'm sure that I have seen confirmation in a HTF chat that Warner had actually been doing upgraded clip substitution as far back as the recent SD box set of TE films in order to improve the presentations of the films.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
They did, but the problem that I see in the new release is that apparently the negatives created for the theatrical release of "Thats Entertainment" have now faded. At least that's the only explanation I have for some of the wierd faded colors and the lack of true blacks in many sequences. It takes a lot of the Technicolor brilliance and pop out of the original sources.

This is very also apparent in the introduction sequences.

Vern

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Also GYPSY was mentioned as coming out in an SE.....soooo hopefully it will be in Blue Ray as well.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Judging by the clips in the That's Entertaiment set, they will be STUNNING in HD.

Gigi had some of the most 3-dimensional HD images I'VE EVER SEEN. Incredible. Just incredible.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
(...o.k.,...be calm...just need to choose a tru-blu player!...)

I think the great thing about WB is their commitment to issue in HD when they issue in standard DVD...just think of the possibilities!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
off topic for this thread, but they also mentioned that Ben-Hur would come on in 1080p on blu in 2009 for it's 50th anniversary.

:D

BTW, they said that The Wizard of Oz would be coming to Blu in 2009 as well.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks