What's new

#1 Factor in buying TV DVD's? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

When I buy TV-DVD's, I have to give quite a few reasons for purchasing them, but I would have to say the number one reason--for a purchase is if they have episodes I'm missed. A few examples:

The Cartoon Network had six or seven episodes of the third season of Duck Dodgers that never aired on their channel--and they went straight to Boomerang. My cable provider never got Boomerang, so I was out of luck for those final episodes. I've tried other avenues of tracking those episodes but too no avail.

Somewhat similar to Hyper MonkeyForce Monkey Team Go. I've seen a few episodes on ABC-Family a few years ago, but we don't get TOON Disney at home where it regularly plays . . . .so that makes my list.

The ninties Spy Games, the seventies Salvage 1 actually have unaired episodes. I can't believe a network would actually shell out that kind of money and then never show the various segments. But everyone has made remarks about the lack of intellegence in the minds of network executivies. So I pretty much won't go there.

Rare shows such as Young Maverick, which only showed some episodes ONCE and that makes them awfully precious to me. Because I loved the last episode, and I've never been able to track it down as well.

So my number one reason for buying tv-DVD's is UNSEEN EPISODES (or rarely seen), what about you guys?

James Smith

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's kind of obvious but the biggest factor for me is that if I like the show, I'll buy the set. It's great if there's special features or the set has episodes that I haven't seen or that never aired but for me, if I'm a fan, I'm in. :)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
For me it is the ability to have TV shows I have always admired and enjoyed over the years at the dispersal of my fingertips. That's what always does it for me!!!!!!! :)

The further my interest in TV Shows on DVD grows, so does my appreciation for collecting them. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

That's what I call a classic quote :)

The TV/DVD is the greatest thing since "Tony Romo" (uh, that's the q-back for the Dallas Cowboys for you non-sports posters :) )

I'd say for me, the #1 thing is to have a series that's either been out of syndication for years or most likely won't air again anywhere, in my collection. I've found that I usually buy the shows that I grew up with and have found that in nearly all cases, they "stand the test of time" for me, some surprisingly so. I do have series from years after the 'Boomer years (80's, 90's) but the majority of my sets are shows from the late 50's thru 70's.

David mentioned what someone here phrased, the "rewatchability" factor. I consider that as well for TV/DVD sets.

To be able to pop in a TV/DVD and watch these shows without commercials and in nearly all sets, watch the show with far better clarity than I originally watched them with the "rabbit-ear" set-top antenna or even the roof antenna, it's just a real treat to enjoy those "blasts from the past".

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Whether or not its still showing on TV is also a n issue for me. I bought B5 after it wasnt showing anymore and have a PVR so can watch a lot of TV shows I like now.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I end up buying a lot of shows that I enjoyed as a kid. There's a comfort aspect to these shows. I also find myself eager to see shows that I'd only read about or merely saw as part of clip shows. My cousin likes to watch shows that his mother refused to let him watch as a kid.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
For current shows, it's to see them with NO on-screen crap and no commercials, which have risen to a ridiculous level!

For stuff on cable like South Park, I'd rather buy the DVDs as they come out than waste money on cable "service" where I pay for the privilege of getting the show with the aforementioned annoyances.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
There is no one main reason I buy them... there is a few main reasons. But I am one that will not think twice about blind buying a TV Series.

So for shows I seen:
#1 is how much I enjoyed the show. Then the extras it may have is a plus. If there is any unseen (or unaired) episodes then it is a huge plus.

For series that I never seen:
#1 is word of mouth from placed such as this. Subject matter is of course important as I know the types of shows I normally like. The creator of the show could also be a plus. See example below.

A good example of getting a series I never seen before is one I just got for Christmas. Before this set I never seen a single episode of Harsh Realm. But between the word of mouth I heard on it... and the fact that it was created by Chris Carter (and that I am a huge X-Files fan) I went ahead and put it on a DVD wishlist I gave someone... and I got it. Already watched the first disc... so far loving every minute of it... looks like another series that was canceled way too soon.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

:DSECONDED!:D

If you watch a Show on Cable (Or Broadcast for that matter) you watch the show and that's that. On the other hand, after you watch a show on DVD, :D YOU:D GET:D TO:D KEEP:D IT!!!:D

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

This basically says it for me. Some shows I've bought because of recommendations from fellow readers of this forum, and others because I was able to get very cheap from periodic Amazon sales.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Very simple.

A show I want to watch and rewatch that is released in full seasons uncut, uncensored with all the music intact.

When that happens, I buy.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The biggest factor that I can only say are sets that contain every episode, original opening theme songs and pricing. WKRP? Married With Children, Baywatch, all missing the original theme song music. Baywatch, missing key episodes in the Season 2 Region 1 release. Pricing? I think it's outrageous charging $80 for a 13 episode set or where when Universal is releasing full season sets they don't alter the pricing structure. You end up paying the same price for a 22 episode set as you do for a 13 episode set.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The question that forms the basis of this thread is off for me. What other factors need there be other than having liked the series and wanting to own it on DVD?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In addition to enjoying previously viewed series there are any number of factors that can influence 'blind' purchases...

Genre (especially with regards to shows being similar to ones that are known and enjoyable quantities), low prices that capitalize on impulse purchases, casting, talent behind the show, critical acclaim, forum recommendations, etc.

For myself, known shows are purchased for the purpose of revisiting them, often in a superior presentation vs. my initial viewing. In particular, for older series it offers a chance to see a show that I haven't viewed in decades. In some cases, I only initially viewed later seasons and the DVD release provides an opportunity to catch up on earlier episodes. (Mission Impossible or The Rockford Files for instance.)

For blind purchases, usually genre, or recommendations from friends drive those decisions. For lower priced sets sometimes the 'take a chance' mentality takes hold.

To answer the initial question, the number one factor is the obvious answer - Revisiting a series that I enjoyed. This factor may apply to older or contemporary sets.

- Walter.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Here are my criteria in order of importance.

1. Will I want to see this show years later when the novelty value is gone?
2. How expensive is it?
3. Is the series complete or expected to be?
4. What special features does it have?

Missing footage and music replacement are issues I deal with on a case-by-case basis, and I am willing to forgive it if the quality of the show is high enough or if there are extenuating circumstances.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Most shows I enjoy the show weather in its main run like Dawson's Creek or in reruns. I got hooked on my all time favorvite show The Pretender in late night showings on the weekends.

Blind buys because they are cheap or recommanded

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Number one is the show itself, extras are great but they aren't worth anything if I don't like the show. I buy shows that have an interest for me, both new shows and old. I will even blind buy a series and I have blind bought quite a few. I haven't purchased any that I haven't liked yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks