Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Christmas Vacation on BD or HD-DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Tim Mauldin

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted December 06 2007 - 06:22 AM

Christmas Vacation is a classic comedy (at least to me anyway), that I have been considering upgrading.

Can anyone that has this title on either format, comment on the picture quality? I have the standard first, full screen release. Would it be worth it to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any input.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted December 06 2007 - 07:04 AM

I can't even find the title in stock in BD at any retailer. (Or for that matter, A Christmas Story).

#3 of 5 ONLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted December 06 2007 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swearingen
I can't even find the title in stock in BD at any retailer. (Or for that matter, A Christmas Story).

They are both part of the 2 for 1 blu-ray sale at Amazon today.
They would be $19.95 for both or under $10 each. Also qualifies for free shipping as the before discount price is over $25. The selection for this sale was different yesterday so I don't know if it changes every day.

http://www.amazon.co....rd_i=193640011

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 06 2007 - 09:03 AM

I remember reading at the time of their release that both CHRISTMAS VACATION and CHRISTMAS STORY had mediocre picture quality, barely a step up from SD-DVD.

However, that first CHRISTMAS VACATION (full frame) release was a horrible transfer which Warners did rectify with an anamorphic transfer several years ago. (They did the same with CHRISTMAS STORY, too).

So, I'd say if all you have is that first awful full frame transfer, I'd definitely go for the high definition transfer if you really like the film.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Tim Mauldin

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted December 06 2007 - 09:50 AM

^ Thanks Matt, thats what I needed to know. I just picked up the Blu-Ray at Amazon's two-for-one sale.