Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warning to international customers about Amazon.com

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 30 2007 - 12:05 PM

I ordered two Blu-ray discs in the recent Buy One Get One Free campaign. Despite the fact that the amount I paid came to below the UK threshold of £18, Amazon chose to display the full price of the discs on the packaging and I was charged nearly £14 in customs fees. When I complained about this, I was sent a dismissive e-mail which contained the following statement: If you used any promotional discounts on an order, please be aware that while the promotion reduces the actual amount that you pay Amazon.com, it does not change the value of the item itself. We are required to declare the actual value of the items in your shipment. So essentially, any International customer that expects to avoid customs by using one of their sales had better think again. Amazon will declare the FULL price of your purchase BEFORE reductions. This has certainly come as a surprise to me and I, for one, will not be using them again.
I've been going to bed early . . .

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 07:42 PM

I've had the same happen to me, i.e. Amazon displayed the full price on the package itself. However, I don't think you should have had to pay duty on the goods. Is it possible for you to print out the Amazon invoice page and show that to the customs agent, or open the package in front of them and pull out the sheet included in the shipment which shows exactly how much you paid? Over here, the legislation regarding duties (which is based on EU legislation and various agreements) states that the amount from which any duty and taxes are calculated must be the actual value paid for the goods. (Also, if the duty and taxes amount to less than €10, e.g. €9.95, you are not charged for them.)

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted December 23 2007 - 04:53 AM

Geez, I love the good ol' USA where I have never paid customs charges even once, despite ordering items valued up to $2,000.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 31 2007 - 10:33 AM

Neither have I. Are we suppose to?
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users