Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What audio settings should I use on my Toshiba A2

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   London Lawson

London Lawson

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted November 20 2007 - 09:48 AM

I have the following Yamaha HTR5890 2 fronts, 2 rears, sub and a center

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted November 21 2007 - 02:16 AM

That is a non-HDMI receiver, so I assume you are hooking the audio up via optical. If so, your settings on the audio menu should be the following: SPDIF: Bitstream HDMI Audio: Downmix PCM This will give you DTS @ 1.5Mbs for HD audio from HD DVD and regular DD/DTS from SD DVD. The reason you set the HDMI to downmix is because any other setting causes the SPDIF optical to sound muffled. Not intuitive, but it works.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   brap

brap

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 02:21 AM

Wow! That's damnedest thing. Is this always or just on specific firmware? This explains why I was not as impressed with the DTS downmixes (I'm optical only) from my A2. I just figured that it was the cost of downmixing TrueHD to DTS. I'm definitely trying this when I get home and watching Batman Begins.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,927 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 05 2007 - 03:58 AM

Good to know. Thanks, Jeff! (Still waiting for my HDMI and Toslink cables to show up.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 04:19 AM

The only ones I know for sure are the A2/A3, but I imagine the other models require it as well. It is cryptically referred to in the manual under the "Notes" section of the "Connect the player to your TV" chapter (pg. 21 in the A2 manual).

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   mitch

mitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 08:51 AM

So if you have an A2 with HDMI the audio setting should be HDMI:Auto and SPDIF:Bitstream? Mitch

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Rich Allen

Rich Allen

Second Unit

• 382 posts
  • LocationSalisbury MD

Posted December 05 2007 - 08:05 PM

Spdif should be PCM in that case. Always set the one you aren't using to the lowest quality.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   mitch

mitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 06 2007 - 02:48 AM

Rich, Can you explain that a little more? Thanks, Mitch

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Rich Allen

Rich Allen

Second Unit

• 382 posts
  • LocationSalisbury MD

Posted December 06 2007 - 03:30 AM

As I understand it, you always set the one you aren't using to the lowest quality as it saves some on the processor on the unit. I quess it's because of a limited capacity of said processor. So if you are using the HDMI, set it at auto and the SPDIF at PCM. If you are using the SPDIF, set it at bitstream and the HDMI at PCM downconvert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users