Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's going on with Amazon.com not supplying certain HD titles?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,211 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 07:45 AM

What's going on with Amazon.com not supplying certain HD titles?

Noticed that High-Def Digest has links to DVD Empire for several titles now, instead of Amazon.

The Polar Express (Blu-ray) Only 21% savings at DVD Empire.
Independence Day (Blu-ray) Only 23% savings.
Ronin (Blu-ray) 30%
Superbad (Blu-ray) Only 21%
Stardust(HD DVD) 30%

It's going to hurt the pocketbook if Amazon abandons their selections.
Few 30% Discounts,
No 10% credit Bonus
No free shipping.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#2 of 18 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,546 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 11:01 AM

I noticed before that Amazon have always been slightly later (2 or 3 days) than certain other e-tailers to advertise new titles. I suppose these were recently announced (all are pre-orders), so they will probably be there tomorrow or the day after. Posted Image

Cees

#3 of 18 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,211 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
I suppose these were recently announced (all are pre-orders)..........

That is true for "Stardust" (HD DVD) and "Superbad" (Blu-ray) and I hope your right.Posted Image But looking at "Independence Day" (Blu-ray) & "Ronin" (Blu-ray) and even 'I, Robot' Posted Image - they were announced way back on August 20, 2007 by Fox/MGM, (Official Announcements).

And "The Polar Express" (Blu-ray), is to be released on October 30, 2007, two weeks from now, Posted Image and when I asked Amazon.com, they said "try their other sites."Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)

#4 of 18 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,546 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 12:09 PM

Strange. And I own The Polar Express on HD DVD for more than a year already. I wasn't even aware that it has not been available on BD yet.

Are those Fox releases some that were delayed recently? Perhaps they're "in between" announcements currently?

Cees

#5 of 18 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,211 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 12:30 PM

Quote:
Are those Fox releases some that were delayed recently? Perhaps they're "in between" announcements currently?
Don't believe so.

All are available for pre-order on several other online stores, with the exception of 'I, Robot' (Blu-ray).

Paul

#6 of 18 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 05:57 PM

I've stopped using Amazon completey. Their customer service is horrible. I have yet to receive a title on time. The last was F4, they could not get it to me until 2 weeks after street date.

I'll pay more for better service and buy my movies from businesses that can provide product on time.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#7 of 18 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,616 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 02:44 AM

Sorry some of you have had bad experiences with amazon. I have personally had nothing but the best experience from them. Besides the discounts and using the 10% promo since August 2006, their cust. service has been beyond reproach. Whenever I have had any issue and phone them, they immediately correct and I get reimbursed. Even recently I had a title that I paid standard shipping for but it was sent out free media mail, they refunded the shipping fees, and gave me that amount for a future credit.

I've used dvd pacific a few times only to get something way early, and they are also top notch. But amazon rules for me. Posted Image

#8 of 18 John Kwong

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 03:49 AM

Add "The Fly" (1986) on blu-ray to the list. They only put it on their site yesterday, and it's shipping in "1-2 weeks". At least it's 30% savings ....

#9 of 18 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,546 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 04:55 AM

For the record: my experiences with four Amazon incarnations: US FR UK and DE (I still have to order for the first time from the CA-site) are very good. Involves DVD, HD and books. I'm speaking of a period of more than 10 years now.

Cees

#10 of 18 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,241 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 07:51 AM

Nothing but positive experiences for me as well.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#11 of 18 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kwong
Add "The Fly" (1986) on blu-ray to the list. They only put it on their site yesterday, and it's shipping in "1-2 weeks". At least it's 30% savings ....

Its not just a problem with Amazon on The Fly, no one seems to have this one.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#12 of 18 runchuckrun

runchuckrun

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I've stopped using Amazon completey. Their customer service is horrible. I have yet to receive a title on time. The last was F4, they could not get it to me until 2 weeks after street date.

I'll pay more for better service and buy my movies from businesses that can provide product on time.

I've only had positive experiences with Amazon, and basically I buy all my HD discs from them. With the Prime Membership, I receive my discs in two days with no tax. It's hard not to press "Buy" when the disc is usually discounted 30% Posted Image

#13 of 18 justinslot

justinslot

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted October 15 2007 - 12:25 PM

You could always import The Fly from Hong Kong. Let's hear it for Region A!

Add me to the list of people who've never had trouble with Amazon, and I buy a lot of stuff there including all my hi-def discs.

#14 of 18 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted October 15 2007 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchuckrun
With the Prime Membership, I receive my discs in two days with no tax. It's hard not to press "Buy" when the disc is usually discounted 30% Posted Image

We share the same problem... they make it too darn easy. Posted Image

Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#15 of 18 LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 02:08 PM

Interestingly, nearly two weeks after Universal announced a new release date for "Cat People", Amazon notified me that they have unilaterally canceled my order because they still think they can't get it. Also, my "Transformers" order just disappeared off the website. Their explanations for both problems were unconvincing.

#16 of 18 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,546 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 07:43 PM

Strange. I just got the message that Transformers has been shipped.

BTW, as a result (I have many open orders), Transformers disappeared from my "Recently ordered and shipped" page, but is still visible on "Ordered previous half year" (or so).

Cat People is (still?) a "slot" on Amazon. It says that it's unknown whether or not it will be available soon and when. But at least it's there.

Cees

#17 of 18 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
BTW, as a result (I have many open orders), Transformers disappeared from my "Recently ordered and shipped" page, but is still visible on "Ordered previous half year" (or so).

I've seen this quite a bit. It seems they go order the results by the order date and not by the more recent shipping date. I usually have to pull up information for the full year to see everything I have pre-ordered.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#18 of 18 PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 01:07 AM

I want to know how they are determining the Delivery estimates now? It almost always is 2 to 3 weeks after the release date for preorders. For in stock titles, it just as bad. Generally you get your stuff around a week, but it's discouraging after placing an order to see the ship dates. I'm getting November dates for orders place at the beginning of the week for in stock titles.

There is something to be said about sites like DVDEmpire that guarantee to ship same day. Once my extra 10% discount goes away at Amazon, I think most of my business is going to shift to other etailers.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow