What's new

What's going on with Amazon.com not supplying certain HD titles? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
What's going on with Amazon.com not supplying certain HD titles?

Noticed that High-Def Digest has links to DVD Empire for several titles now, instead of Amazon.

The Polar Express (Blu-ray) Only 21% savings at DVD Empire.
Independence Day (Blu-ray) Only 23% savings.
Ronin (Blu-ray) 30%
Superbad (Blu-ray) Only 21%
Stardust(HD DVD) 30%

It's going to hurt the pocketbook if Amazon abandons their selections.
Few 30% Discounts,
No 10% credit Bonus
No free shipping.

Paul

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I noticed before that Amazon have always been slightly later (2 or 3 days) than certain other e-tailers to advertise new titles. I suppose these were recently announced (all are pre-orders), so they will probably be there tomorrow or the day after. :)

Cees

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

That is true for "Stardust" (HD DVD) and "Superbad" (Blu-ray) and I hope your right.;) But looking at "Independence Day" (Blu-ray) & "Ronin" (Blu-ray) and even 'I, Robot' :rolleyes:- they were announced way back on August 20, 2007 by Fox/MGM, (Official Announcements).

And "The Polar Express" (Blu-ray), is to be released on October 30, 2007, two weeks from now, :eek: and when I asked Amazon.com they said "try their other sites.":confused:

Paul

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Strange. And I own The Polar Express on HD DVD for more than a year already. I wasn't even aware that it has not been available on BD yet.

Are those Fox releases some that were delayed recently? Perhaps they're "in between" announcements currently?

Cees

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Don't believe so.

All are available for pre-order on several other online stores, with the exception of 'I, Robot' (Blu-ray).

Paul

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've stopped using Amazon completey. Their customer service is horrible. I have yet to receive a title on time. The last was F4, they could not get it to me until 2 weeks after street date.

I'll pay more for better service and buy my movies from businesses that can provide product on time.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sorry some of you have had bad experiences with amazon. I have personally had nothing but the best experience from them. Besides the discounts and using the 10% promo since August 2006, their cust. service has been beyond reproach. Whenever I have had any issue and phone them, they immediately correct and I get reimbursed. Even recently I had a title that I paid standard shipping for but it was sent out free media mail, they refunded the shipping fees, and gave me that amount for a future credit.

I've used dvd pacific a few times only to get something way early, and they are also top notch. But amazon rules for me. :)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Add "The Fly" (1986) on blu-ray to the list. They only put it on their site yesterday, and it's shipping in "1-2 weeks". At least it's 30% savings ....

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
For the record: my experiences with four Amazon incarnations: US FR UK and DE (I still have to order for the first time from the CA-site) are very good. Involves DVD, HD and books. I'm speaking of a period of more than 10 years now.

Cees

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Its not just a problem with Amazon on The Fly, no one seems to have this one.

Doug

runchuckrun

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck

I've only had positive experiences with Amazon, and basically I buy all my HD discs from them. With the Prime Membership, I receive my discs in two days with no tax. It's hard not to press "Buy" when the disc is usually discounted 30% :)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Interestingly, nearly two weeks after Universal announced a new release date for "Cat People", Amazon notified me that they have unilaterally canceled my order because they still think they can't get it. Also, my "Transformers" order just disappeared off the website. Their explanations for both problems were unconvincing.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Strange. I just got the message that Transformers has been shipped.

BTW, as a result (I have many open orders), Transformers disappeared from my "Recently ordered and shipped" page, but is still visible on "Ordered previous half year" (or so).

Cat People is (still?) a "slot" on Amazon. It says that it's unknown whether or not it will be available soon and when. But at least it's there.

Cees

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I've seen this quite a bit. It seems they go order the results by the order date and not by the more recent shipping date. I usually have to pull up information for the full year to see everything I have pre-ordered.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I want to know how they are determining the Delivery estimates now? It almost always is 2 to 3 weeks after the release date for preorders. For in stock titles, it just as bad. Generally you get your stuff around a week, but it's discouraging after placing an order to see the ship dates. I'm getting November dates for orders place at the beginning of the week for in stock titles.

There is something to be said about sites like DVDEmpire that guarantee to ship same day. Once my extra 10% discount goes away at Amazon, I think most of my business is going to shift to other etailers.

Users who are viewing this thread