Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner lets some of the Q4 releases out of the bag, including some surprises.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#41 of 80 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 02:43 AM

The following is also being posted on thedigitalbits but doing a quick search I couldn't confirm it. Very excited to see Pan's Labyrinth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigitalBits
The same site also reveals New Line's first anticipated Blu-ray releases, which should include Hairspray (2007), Pan's Labyrinth and Rush Hour 3.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#42 of 80 OFFLINE   King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 11:35 AM

Is New Line BluRay exclusive?

-Nevermind, I just looked at thedigitalbits, the same three are on HD-DVD as well. There is a nice picture of the Harry Potter box set on there too.
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#43 of 80 OFFLINE   Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 11:40 AM

N/M as well.

How come i'm interested in that box set?

I've never been into those films really....yet i'm interested.

I would probably like to wait till nearly all the movies are done. You'd think they'd have a box set with place holders for the other two movies.
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#44 of 80 OFFLINE   justinslot

justinslot

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 12:53 PM

I'm hopeful for the Justice League movie being good, the Darwyn Cooke comics it's based on were a lot of fun. I hope that Batman Anime isn't part of that current Batman cartoon (which is okay but not something I feel like I have to watch on a regular basis.)

Here's a general question that I keep meaning to bring up and this is as good a place as any since the JL movie got mentioned: has anyone been really wowed by animation in HD? Like, noticing a huge difference between a high-def cartoon and a regular cartoon? I've seen a few: TMNT, Ghost in the Shell 2, Final Fantasy, Dr Strange. And I don't have a great display or anything, but I can almost always see a significant improvement between my regular DVDs and my high-def DVDs in either format. But I'm not seeing it with the cartoons. Anybody else feel the same way?

#45 of 80 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 03:54 AM

I see that it lists "Superman: Doomsday" as a BD release. I know the SD version of this gets released next week. Anyone know if the BD version is same day and date, or is this way off in the future? It would be a missed opportunity if they don't release them simultaneously.

#46 of 80 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Jeff
Seeing Heat on that list brings warm feelings to my heart. That is the one movie I have ever really wanted -- nay, NEEDED on HD-DVD.

I have been sitting out this format war (always leaned HD-DVD though) but this is THE one movie that will force me to buy if only for the improved sound during the bank robbery scene. The video had always been grainy to me but i've not minded, it will be interesting to see what they do with that.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#47 of 80 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Deeb
I see that it lists "Superman: Doomsday" as a BD release. I know the SD version of this gets released next week. Anyone know if the BD version is same day and date, or is this way off in the future? It would be a missed opportunity if they don't release them simultaneously.
If it was Day and Date they would have announced it already. When (or if) it will be released remains unknown.

#48 of 80 OFFLINE   King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan
I have been sitting out this format war (always leaned HD-DVD though) but this is THE one movie that will force me to buy if only for the improved sound during the bank robbery scene. The video had always been grainy to me but i've not minded, it will be interesting to see what they do with that.

Yes, exactly! I'm really hoping for a Dolby TrueHD track on this one. I'd like to see the contrast and black levels improved too, many of the night scenes didn't look too good on the most recent DVD; especially the scene where Vincent pulls Neil over and asks to get coffee, the inspection of the first crime scene, and the finale at the airport. Even if they don't do all that great of a job, this will still be my favorite HD-DVD, just because the movie is so incredible.
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#49 of 80 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 13 2007 - 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
How the West Was Won in BD would be unbelievable. I heard they were going to try and digitally erase the dividing lines.
That's heresy; instead of wasting effort on that, they should work on a SmileBox transfer.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#50 of 80 OFFLINE   MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 07:44 AM

I'm still waiting on even a WIDESCREEN edition of Bridges of Madison County. In 10 years of DVD, it's never been released in its proper aspect ratio. I find that pretty strange, it was a hit if I remember correctly. I'd also love True Romance, as well.

#51 of 80 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 08:59 AM

Yep, liked that film as well.

#52 of 80 OFFLINE   Bob Black

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-W
I think I'm going to cry...

Warner, do you realize all the Blu-Ray owners you're leaving out in the cold with this one? I mean, of the 6,000,000 installed base of PS3s on the planet, 5,999,999 bought the PS3 only as a Blu-Ray player (until some decent games come out), and these guys are right in line with the demographics for Heat

Argh!

You do realize that it's taken Blu-Ray over a year to sell just over 2 million TOTAL discs, right? So much for your theory. Posted Image

#53 of 80 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 11:52 AM

HDnetmovies has been playing Bridges of Madison County the last month or so.

Jacob

#54 of 80 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black
You do realize that it's taken Blu-Ray over a year to sell just over 2 million TOTAL discs, right? So much for your theory. Posted Image

Posted Image (stealing your quote now)

You do realize that it's taken HD-DVD over a year-and-a-half to sell just over 1.5 million TOTAL discs, right?

Posted Image

Signed,

BW
(who became format semi-neutral last week all because of dumb Heroes Season 1)
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#55 of 80 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
who became format semi-neutral last week all because of dumb Heroes Season 1

I've said it elsewhere, but still feel the same- If I hadn;t already felt my $500 buy in were amply rewarded, The Heroes release would have done that all by itself.
It was a blind buy for me and the 16-20 hours I spent with the show was some of the most fun I can recall ever having in my HT.

#56 of 80 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 01:22 PM

Heroes wasn't even for me - it was for my girlfriend. I felt bad with her catching up with older compressed satellite recordings, so I sprung for HD-DVD. It's the only disc I own at the moment, but Heat is coming soon.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#57 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 18 2007 - 05:04 AM

Do you realize it's taken over 0.0000000000001 of a year for me to be disappointed that Heat will be HD-DVD only?

I have this funny feeling that there's going to be another player on the shelf next to my PS3 by this time next year. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#58 of 80 OFFLINE   King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 11:27 AM

I'm watching the SD DVD of Heat now, I hope they really clean up this transfer. There are a lot of problems with black levels and a lot of times the picture gets really muddy. The sound could use some work, too. Overall, it doesn't detract from the movie, but it'd make a huge difference if the quality was better.

#59 of 80 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 18 2007 - 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Do you realize it's taken over 0.0000000000001 of a year for me to be disappointed that Heat will be HD-DVD only?

I have this funny feeling that there's going to be another player on the shelf next to my PS3 by this time next year. . .

I have my doubts that it'll be HD-DVD only. The way things are listed on the site right now are placeholders at best, and I don't see them adding an In-Movie Experience for this title, and that would be the only logical reason for a hold-up on BD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#60 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 19 2007 - 04:19 AM

Cool. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow