Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

'Live Free or Die Hard' Not Unrated on Blu-ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 John Kwong

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 05:32 PM

Quote:
Fox issued a standalone press release for 'Live Free or Die Hard' today that dropped a bombshell. The two-disc and single disc widescreen DVD versions of 'Live Free or Die Hard' will be blessed with the unrated cut. The Blu-ray version, however, is stuck with the PG-13 cut.

http://dvd.themanroo...ew.php?id=00702

Did anyone else read anything about this?

#2 of 53 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,064 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 05 2007 - 08:07 PM

I saw the news earlier today.

It's a mild disappointment. The PG-13 theatrical cut was something I was more than ready to purchase. It'll be interesting to see what the differences in the Unrated version are. My guess is that this is about 95% marketing gimmick and 5% director's intent.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 53 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 10:58 PM

This is annoying to the point where I might just rent this instead. Really, we're paying premium prices for these HD formats and to get shortchanged with content compared to the DVD version doesn't make any sense. The majority of extras I can live without but having multiple versions via seemless branching is a big selling point for me.

WTF Fox?!
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 53 Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 11:07 PM

Eh, I'll just rent the unrated on SD and see if there is a major difference between that and the theatrical cut. We've all been burned by so-called 'Unrated' cuts before, this one might be no exception.

That said, this is a perplexing move by Fox Home Video. I would love to hear the reason behind this.

#5 of 53 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 01:50 AM

Quote:
This is annoying to the point where I might just rent this instead.

Since I haven't seen this film yet anyway, this is exactly what I plan to do. I'm still debating whether or not I want to spring for the Die Hard Trilogy box set and take the time to sell 2 and 3 individual.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 53 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
My guess is that this is about 95% marketing gimmick and 5% director's intent.

The whole 'unrated on home video' phenomenon of late is incredibly lame. That said, it should be on the BD. Obviously a double-dip situation. Which is also lame.

#7 of 53 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 03:35 AM

Quote:
That said, this is a perplexing move by Fox Home Video. I would love to hear the reason behind this.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to try to get you to buy this on both BD and DVD. That may sound a bit conspiracy theorist, but is it much different that the one disc version of a film for R1 and two discs for other regions only for a double dip of the two disc months later strategy that Fox likes to use. Not to mention all the other studio double dips.

I don't know. I wanted to get this on BD, but why should I if they are only going to have the PG-13 available which no one really wanted for a Die Hard film anyway?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#8 of 53 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 03:42 AM

One cannot understand the logic with this decision. That said, I enjoyed the theatrical version and will purchase that and will not double dip on any future releases of this title. What they should have done is provide both versions on the same disks and make use of the technology that has been available for some time.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#9 of 53 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2007 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Joseph
One cannot understand the logic with this decision. That said, I enjoyed the theatrical version and will purchase that and will not double dip on any future releases of this title. What they should have done is provide both versions on the same disks and make use of the technology that has been available for some time.
Yep, it was the version I've enjoyed in the movie theater and I'm not going to repurchase a longer version down the road just to hear a couple of curse words or to see a little more blood.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 53 Chuck West

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 04:47 AM

I'm not double dipping.

I'll wait for the unrated BD release.

#11 of 53 Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Yep, it was the version I've enjoyed in the movie theater and I'm not going to repurchase a longer version down the road just to hear a couple of curse words or to see a little more blood.

Crawdaddy

I'm with you if they tried to add curse words and blood.
But, in this case, they removed them to get a certain rating.
I want to buy the originally intended version, not some studio mandated cut.

This is a no buy for me.

#12 of 53 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,435 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 07:14 AM

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm glad it is the pg-13 theatrical version. I actually appreciate there being less cursing and I enjoyed the film in the theaters.

#13 of 53 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 07:33 AM

Pitiful decision by Fox. There's more than enough space to put both cuts on the Blu-Ray version, but they're simply choosing not to so they can "double dip" on this title in a few months. Instead of a potential Blu-Ray purchase they'll get an Unrated DVD rental from me and that's it. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#14 of 53 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 07:46 AM

I'm sure a double dip is planned.

I'll be waiting too.

#15 of 53 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,999 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 06 2007 - 07:47 AM

Two words: seamless branching.

I wonder if they want this format to succeed at all. Maybe Toshiba paid them off to make stupid release decisions like this on BD. Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#16 of 53 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 08:25 AM

Live Unrated or Rent Hard! Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#17 of 53 Dan Hinson

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted September 06 2007 - 08:27 AM

I had heard they edited out the “Yippee-ki-yay” line for the theatrical release. Is that so?
“I don't think I'm alone in the world in imagining this flick may be the worst idea since Greedo shooting first.” - Ben Affleck as Holden McNeil in 'Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.'

#18 of 53 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I would tend to agree, except that this movie wasn't originally intended to be PG-13. Unfortunately, the lip-flap and premature/sloppy edits are too distracting in the theatrical cut - I picked up on it upon my first viewing at the cinema. I'm not saying an unrated cut will make this title an any better or worse film, but hopefully I won't be taken out of the movie experience by clumsy work in post.

PG-13 cut = no $ale for me, regretably.

#19 of 53 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hinson
I had heard they edited out the “Yippee-ki-yay” line for the theatrical release. Is that so?

No...that line is left nearly intact. In fact, it includes the word "Mother" as well. It is the final two syllables that are...erm, obfuscated.

#20 of 53 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,064 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 06 2007 - 09:16 AM

The thing is, they could have still got a PG-13 even if they didn't "obfuscate" those two syllables, because it's the only time in the film that word is "said".

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow