What's new

'Live Free or Die Hard' Not Unrated on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I saw the news earlier today.

It's a mild disappointment. The PG-13 theatrical cut was something I was more than ready to purchase. It'll be interesting to see what the differences in the Unrated version are. My guess is that this is about 95% marketing gimmick and 5% director's intent.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This is annoying to the point where I might just rent this instead. Really, we're paying premium prices for these HD formats and to get shortchanged with content compared to the DVD version doesn't make any sense. The majority of extras I can live without but having multiple versions via seemless branching is a big selling point for me.

WTF Fox?!

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Eh, I'll just rent the unrated on SD and see if there is a major difference between that and the theatrical cut. We've all been burned by so-called 'Unrated' cuts before, this one might be no exception.

That said, this is a perplexing move by Fox Home Video. I would love to hear the reason behind this.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Since I haven't seen this film yet anyway, this is exactly what I plan to do. I'm still debating whether or not I want to spring for the Die Hard Trilogy box set and take the time to sell 2 and 3 individual.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

The whole 'unrated on home video' phenomenon of late is incredibly lame. That said, it should be on the BD. Obviously a double-dip situation. Which is also lame.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The only thing I can think of is that they want to try to get you to buy this on both BD and DVD. That may sound a bit conspiracy theorist, but is it much different that the one disc version of a film for R1 and two discs for other regions only for a double dip of the two disc months later strategy that Fox likes to use. Not to mention all the other studio double dips.

I don't know. I wanted to get this on BD, but why should I if they are only going to have the PG-13 available which no one really wanted for a Die Hard film anyway?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One cannot understand the logic with this decision. That said, I enjoyed the theatrical version and will purchase that and will not double dip on any future releases of this title. What they should have done is provide both versions on the same disks and make use of the technology that has been available for some time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, it was the version I've enjoyed in the movie theater and I'm not going to repurchase a longer version down the road just to hear a couple of curse words or to see a little more blood.

Crawdaddy

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

I'm with you if they tried to add curse words and blood.
But, in this case, they removed them to get a certain rating.
I want to buy the originally intended version, not some studio mandated cut.

This is a no buy for me.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm glad it is the pg-13 theatrical version. I actually appreciate there being less cursing and I enjoyed the film in the theaters.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Pitiful decision by Fox. There's more than enough space to put both cuts on the Blu-Ray version, but they're simply choosing not to so they can "double dip" on this title in a few months. Instead of a potential Blu-Ray purchase they'll get an Unrated DVD rental from me and that's it. :thumbsdown:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Two words: seamless branching.

I wonder if they want this format to succeed at all. Maybe Toshiba paid them off to make stupid release decisions like this on BD. :D

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
I had heard they edited out the “Yippee-ki-yay” line for the theatrical release. Is that so?

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

I would tend to agree, except that this movie wasn't originally intended to be PG-13. Unfortunately, the lip-flap and premature/sloppy edits are too distracting in the theatrical cut - I picked up on it upon my first viewing at the cinema. I'm not saying an unrated cut will make this title an any better or worse film, but hopefully I won't be taken out of the movie experience by clumsy work in post.

PG-13 cut = no $ale for me, regretably.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The thing is, they could have still got a PG-13 even if they didn't "obfuscate" those two syllables, because it's the only time in the film that word is "said".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks