'Live Free or Die Hard' Not Unrated on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by John Kwong, Sep 5, 2007.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

When I heard the title I thought, "That's not a movie title, that's a Before and After puzzle on Wheel of Fortune."

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

The reason for the BD having only the PG-13 cut according to The Digital Bits:

...in the Sept. 9 Edition of Home Media Magazine.

3. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Hmm. That Japanese set is what I'm after. I'd prefer the unrated edition of Live Free... on Blu-ray but I don't mind going without if I can get a BD boxset of all four flicks.

Sounds silly I know, but a complete boxset appeals to the collector in me and I can always swap out the PG-13 disc for a later unrated edition (presuming the Jap set comes with the PG-13 version).

One to keep an eye on at YesAsia methinks...

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

No BD Unrated = No sale!

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Makes.No.Sense.

Wonder if P.S. is still around to see the need for a reversal on this decision.

6. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

7. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Hmmm. If the set turns out to be close to the price of 1-3 I'll probably pick it up (as long as they don't cancel it). If I don't like 4 there's always Ebay.

8. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Man, Die Hard on BD has been a whirlwind of ups and downs, hasn't it? This latest news is the best yet for me however. Now that they'll be released individually, I can just buy the original, rent Live Free or Die Hard, and be done with it.

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I agree. I'll be buying the first one and renting the fourth.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I own the first on SD-DVD so there's no need to upgrade. This though, #4 I'll buy the day it streets, unrated or not.

11. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

Eh, I'm just going to grab the box set and call it a day. I want those first three and I saw the fourth one twice in the theater, so in the end I am okay with that cut (I doubt I will watch the disc for 'Live Free or Die Hard' more than once or twice again anyway). Besides, has anyone heard what will be in the unrated cut? I mean, we have all seen 'unrated' cuts before that have had additional footage that was tame to say the least.

12. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Just wanted to point out, that also Japanese "Die Hard Quadrilogy" Blu-ray set includes the "PG-13"-rated version. Our visitor (in Rewind) confirmed that to us (he bought the set).

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I bought this set and loved it.

DH4 apparantly sold 100,000 copies as well but I don't know if that includes the boxset sales.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I can understand why the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard was DVD only at the time of the original release. But has the unrated cut really not had a North American Blu-Ray release since? That's a title I would love to upgrade, but I've held onto my DVD copy because it's one of the rare movies where I vastly prefer the unrated cut to the PG-13 cut.

15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I think the Nakatomi Plaza megaset includes the unrated version, but I could be misremembering.

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I may be completely wrong but I'm pretty sure that Nakatomi set is the same discs in an expensive box so there's just the original PG-13 disc of Live Free Or Die Hard.

17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I had thought that was the one new feature in the set but I could be completely wrong. I lost interest in it when I heard they weren't doing new masters of the early films.

TravisR likes this.
  18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Apparently the region-free German set of the films has the unrated version in high-def, but I wanted the "Live Free or Die Hard" American title and not the "Die Hard 4.0" international title.

Fortunately, Vudu has both the PG-13 and the unrated cuts available in HDX, and employing the disc-to-digital upgrade option via VUDU To Go allowed you to choose either version to redeem. I had a backlog of DVDs I was willing to spend $2.50 to own streaming in HDX but not any more to re-purchase on Blu-Ray, so this brought me up to 10 for the half off pricing.

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  19. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    No, the "Live Free Or Die Hard" Blu-Ray in the completely absurd Nakatomi Plaza packaging has both the Unrated and the Theatrical versions. I still have the Steelbook DVD with the Unrated version. In fact, I have the DVD box set that has the first three Die Hards in 2-disc sets so that at Christmastime I have the option of watching "Die Hard" with two extra (kinda unfinished) scenes, so I'm pretty far gone.

IMG_3136.JPG

TravisR likes this.