What's new

Crossroads: Upgrade my X1, or get a LCD TV (1 Viewer)

RandyMcc

Agent
hey guys, three years ago I built my budget home theater and love it! I will say it is starting to look dated though. With a bulb replacement at $300, I am leaning towards upgrading my projector. I was looking at 1080i projectors, and those are wayyyyy past my budget.

What I am looking for is a nice, bright 720p projector under $1000, can you guys recommend any? And is this a better solution than just getting a 40" 1080i TV?

Thanks for the help gang!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I was in the same situation as you about 8 months ago. Instead of buying a new bulb for my X1 projector, I upgraded to the Mitsubishi HD1000 projector. It is a 720p DLP, very bright projector and it was a big upgrade. It costs about $800 now I think. It has been recently replaced by the HD1500, which is slightly brighter. Highly recommended projector.

RandyMcc

Agent
It's funny you bring up that projector, thats the one I am eyeing! So you can tell me, is it a big upgrade? Currently my X1 seems just a little too dark with almsot everything.

Also, what did you do with your old projector?

Thanks!

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
You ca also get the Sanyo Z4 for around 900 with screen I think. We have the Z4 and love it!!

Brent_S

Second Unit
If you can swing it, I'd look at the Optoma HD80. Current MSRP is $2700 for a 1080p DLP, not sure what street prices are or how fast they will fall. Best part is it's a virtual drop in replacement for the X1 in throw and vertical offset. Offset is about 3% more then the X1 in 16:9 mode. Only change to your mount will be getting the lens centered left/right.

Check out www.projectorcentral.com for lots of reviews at different budget constraints.

-Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks