Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lord Of The Rings trilogy edited together as a single film- anyone done it?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   PaulKTF

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 11 2007 - 06:36 AM

Has anyone ever tried to edit the Lord Of The Rings trilogy (preferably the extended editions) into a single film? I know people do back-to-back-to-back screenings of the trilogy all the time, but I wonder how it would play out as a single 12 hour film?
-Paul.

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,472 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 12 2007 - 07:36 PM

I don't see why It needs to be edited together. wouldnt just watching the 3 movies all in a row do the same thing? How would you make it one movie? What media would you use to hold it all?
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,472 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 07:43 PM

oh yeah, welcome to the HTF
Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,392 posts

Posted August 13 2007 - 07:28 AM

No, because you'd still have to sit through or skip credits and some other redundant material. I think it'd be cool to see them edited together as one really long film. Back in the LD days, I actually made a videotape of the Back to the Future films that did this. It was pretty cool, especially since my friends couldn't tell where one stopped and another began. I wasn't able to ditch the opening credits, unfortunately, but they still transitioned pretty smoothly. Anyway, I think it'd be fun to see this for LOTR. They don't all have to be on the same disc - they can be spread across however many it takes. But the editing would render them one film without any interruptions...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted August 13 2007 - 07:38 AM

I've thought of this before myself. The individual films are cut in such a way that to simply paste them together back-to-back would not be a "one-film" experience, that you'd have to cut out a *lot* more to make it cohesive, move flashbacks around, etc. It would be an interesting experiment, but you'd have to drastically alter the flow of the originals (for example, the very end of Fellowship, which screams "ending", would not fit). But of course, there's no need to do any of this, even if you could fit it onto one (high storage capacity) disc. LOTR as 12-hour seamless narrative would probably be (mostly) unpalatable.

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 12:21 AM

You mean like this?
Posted Image

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,472 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 12:30 AM

as colin said spread across as many as it takes, just stop the current dvd at the credits, same thing. as coressel pasted in his post.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 12:56 AM

Or just get another DVD player and a video switcher, then run all the discs DJ-style, manually switching the discs as they end or as the credits are about to roll.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 02:26 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry. I too, just don't get it. However, if you wanted to challenge yourself and edit the extended editions into one 7 or 8 hour movie that flows together, that would be interesting. I just don't get why you'd bother simply chopping off the credits when you can just skip them.
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,290 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 05:50 AM

One extra challenge if you did this somehow seamlessly -- Could you sit down from the beginning and watch the whole thing through without leaving your seat or pausing?
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   PaulKTF

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 05:51 AM

Hmmm probably not. Good point. Posted Image
-Paul.

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 06:15 AM

Yup. I did it. All three EE's on one DVD-9 (dual-layer) disc with the credits hacked off. It was a 11+ hour show and the video quality was very good. I did take some creative liberties to put Gandalf's fall at the beginning of Ep. 2 where he mets up with his friends in the forest. This worked perfectly and made it feel seamless. Took a week to complete the whole thing and remaster it to fit on one disc. It was a challenge, but worth it!

Oops! Almost forgot ... even though I managed to fit the complete trilogy on one DVD-9 - I did keep the uncompressed version on a harddrive which the filesize weighs a hefty 250gb. Posted Image

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 16 2007 - 04:03 PM

That's just what I was going to do. I still plan to edit all three films together one of these days, but honestly, it was taking me so long to figure out how to use the editing software that I kind of let it slide. Hopefully, one of these days I'll get back to it.

But I wouldn't just chop off the credits... there are several scenes and parts of scenes that I want to omit.

The Two Towers portion would have no flashbacks except for Gandalf's fall... they're not needed if you're viewing it all as one long film. The flashback with Aragorn trying to return Arwen's Evenstar would be moved to the Fellowship portion, chronologically, so it's no longer a flashback. I'd simply cut the Osgiliath flashback from TTT:EE because I think it's a mediocre scene at best.

Same with the Arwen/Aragorn flashback in TTT, where he's laying down in the gazebo in Rivendell... it's a dull scene, shot during pickups, that really served no purpose except to remind us who the hell Arwen was after we hadn't seen her in a year. I'd just cut that one, too.

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted August 16 2007 - 05:28 PM

I detest it when people capitalise "of" and "the" in a film title. It's The Lord of the Rings, not "The Lord Of The Rings"!
And just get a multi-disc changer to watch the entire series.Posted Image

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,472 posts

Posted August 16 2007 - 05:42 PM

i dont detest anything as un-important as that. not a big deal,
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 793 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted August 16 2007 - 06:24 PM

I went to the all day screening of the trilogy when ROTK premiered. Saw the EE of FOTR then the EE of TTT which was followed by the premier of ROTK. It still stands as the best day I have ever had at a movie theater.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 16 2007 - 09:44 PM

I once made a homemade VHS edit of Halloween and Halloween II chopping off the end credits of H1, the recap and opening credits of HII so it looked like one 3 hour long Halloween film. Seemed cool to me at the time...
I was young, hell they were pan and scan...

Posted Image

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 12:35 AM

ABSOLUTELY! I did the same thing as you (so glad the theater here did that). Like you, that remains the best movie going experience i've ever had. The audience was filled w/ people who really wanted to be there, so everyone behaved.
~Jason

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,071 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 17 2007 - 05:11 AM

I'll one up you for nerdiness Posted Image, I did the same thing when Criterion's LD came out but I put the (non-Carpenter sanctioned) TV scenes in too.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 07:28 AM

I didn't make it myself, but I have a version on DVD that combines I and II, in 16:9 widescreen that has the television scenes for HI and gives you the option of watching the end of HII with the original theme instead of Mr. Sandman
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users