Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Differences between TMNT on Blu and HD-DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted August 05 2007 - 01:23 PM

I swear I read somewhere over the last week that the HD-DVD was going to have some HDi interactive features that the Blu version was obviously not. However, since I ran across that, I have not been able to find such info anywhere, and am beginning to wonder if it was a figment of my imagination. Has anyone read anything similar?

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,625 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 05 2007 - 07:27 PM

The releases are identical, save the regular DD track is DD+ on the HD-DVD. Both have a TrueHD track. There is no HDi content on the HD-DVD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted August 06 2007 - 07:02 PM

Was anybody here a little dissapointed that the story was a little "tooooo" Saturday morning cartoonish? Cause I know I was. The Leo-Raph fight is top notch animation. Simply of the highest standard of rendering that I've seen.
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,213 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 08 2007 - 02:53 PM

I was hoping for something a little darker, but I enjoyed it for what it is. And I'll second the endorsement of the Leo-Raph fight. Best water rendering I've ever seen.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 12:08 AM

I have yet the time to watch this, but will probably watch it over the weekend with the grand kids.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 07:46 AM

I enjoyed it quite a bit - Hastings is selling the HD for 26.99, and I have some SD only friends interested in checking it out, so I will likely grab it instead of the Blu version. I enjoyed it quite a bit in the theater, especially the Raph as vigilante stuff and his fight with Leo. There is a little too much kiddie stuff, but there are a lot of great little references to the live action movies we watched as kids, like the Super Shredder helmet on th shelf at the end.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Charles J P

Charles J P

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted August 09 2007 - 08:01 AM

Yes, I was. I am a child of the 80s, loved the first one and didn't even hate the sequels. I was a little disappointed by the plot to be honest.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   sethgardner

sethgardner

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 08:08 AM

I felt the same way Posted Image

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 09 2007 - 09:15 AM

I haven't seen the movie but isn't it based off of a Saturday morning cartoon? I know there's comics (generally aimed at adults) and previous incarnations in animation and live action (aimed at kids) but this incarnation is based off of the new cartoon.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Charles J P

Charles J P

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted August 09 2007 - 09:17 AM

Not sure that anyone can say what the movie was supposed to be based on. There were comic books, Saturday morning cartoons during the 80s, three live action movies during the early 90s and probably a DIFFERENT Saturday morning cartoon now. So its sort of like Spiderman, Batman etc. Its based off of the "collective universe" that is the TMNT.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 09 2007 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the clarification. My knowledge of the Ninja Turtles ends at about 1990 but I thought this was based off the current series. Anyway, my buddy LOVED this movie so I'll probably check it out at his house this weekend (whether I want to or not Posted Image ).

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 12:42 PM

I was basically dissapointed with the content of the story. It turns to be more supernatural than honest feeling, so it kinda looses a dramatic edge. My opinion anyways.
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 12:52 PM

Thank god I was well past the age that actually considered this a form of entertainment.....Posted Image
WOOSAH!.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 05:40 PM

Back to the thread topic, yes the content is the same but can anyone verify that the bitrates used and/or space of the movie/extras is the same on each format, ie is there extra unused space on the blu-ray disk
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 04:03 AM

I personally loved this film. It took me completely by surprise and ended up being 'darker' than I was expecting. I bought this HD DVD on Tuesday after work, but I held off on watching this until tonight becuase I wanted to really enjoy it. Honestly, it's one of my favorites of the year.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted August 11 2007 - 01:16 AM

Finished it up this morning and as a TMNT fan highly enjoyed it. They mention it's supposed to be a continuation of the movie, but it's more of a continuation of the newer animated series (which was fantastic).

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted August 13 2007 - 09:31 PM

I liked it - great visuals! And sound!

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 02:37 PM

I watched TMNT this past weekend with my five-year-old son, and we both enjoyed it. TMNT has never been high-art, so my expectations were in check. Frankly, I think that this is the best incarnation of the TMNT I've seen outside of the original comic book. It did prompt me to checkout the new TMNT cartoon, which is miles above the cartoons and movies from the 80s. As for the movie itself, the story lacked one thing, a cohesive villian. Technically speaking, it had some really great PQ and SQ that was only hampered by some slight banding in two or three scenes. Overall, I am very happy I blind-bought this.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users