Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saving Grace

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 30 2007 - 09:29 AM

We watched the first episode and I promptly deleted the season pass. Let me be straight and say I'm an atheist, but I can still enjoy a show concerning religion. I found this one to be obvious and incredulous.

The show's not ten minutes old before we see the angel wings and Grace is swept to the Grand Canyon. For a while there I thought they were trying to say God will give you a "do over" after killing someone, fortunately they backed off that a bit.

I'm not opposed to second chances, for instance I'm always moved by "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol." I just found this series very trite and un-inspired. I like Holly Hunter and wanted to like this show.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 11:35 AM

I won't go that far although my opinion is that no one has ever come up with something believable so maybe we're on the same page. However unlike you I enjoyed the show. Also I adored the canceled Joan of Arcadia.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 12:51 PM

We could form a club, and I could pretty much ditto J. Angell's (how's that name for irony) post.
But, I'm always gonna watch anything Holly does, and I'm a big Leon Rippy fan.
So...
Sure, I felt betrayed big time, but, what am I gonna do, demand that all pagans be portrayed as sober and moral?
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 31 2007 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams
I won't go that far although my opinion is that no one has ever come up with something believable so maybe we're on the same page.
I don't think we're on the same page. I don't believe that there was a George Baily and he was visited by an angel and got to see what life would be like without him. That's not believable, for me. But I can buy into it when watching the movie because it is so well done, so heartfelt, and the characters are so well written and acted.

I guess I'm saying there's really believing and than there's buying into the movies basic concept. Watching "Schindler's List", I believe there was such depravity and cruelty and I believe amidst all that a person can be transformed. Under less skilled hands, with the same facts, I can still believe but be less moved.

"Saving Grace" had a chance to be emotionally involving, I just think they dropped the ball. But that's just my opinion. I will make this observation: when a series debuts and hits a home run, a thread like this will have many participants and many postings. That this is not happening indicates there's little interest in this show. Perhaps this is the HTF's mini-Nielson rating.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted July 31 2007 - 08:02 AM

I personally like the show. I think it is well written, acted and has high production values. I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

BTW, I love the opening song by Everlast.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."