Saving Grace

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Johnny Angell, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    We watched the first episode and I promptly deleted the season pass. Let me be straight and say I'm an atheist, but I can still enjoy a show concerning religion. I found this one to be obvious and incredulous.

The show's not ten minutes old before we see the angel wings and Grace is swept to the Grand Canyon. For a while there I thought they were trying to say God will give you a "do over" after killing someone, fortunately they backed off that a bit.

I'm not opposed to second chances, for instance I'm always moved by "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol." I just found this series very trite and un-inspired. I like Holly Hunter and wanted to like this show.

2. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I won't go that far although my opinion is that no one has ever come up with something believable so maybe we're on the same page. However unlike you I enjoyed the show. Also I adored the canceled Joan of Arcadia.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

We could form a club, and I could pretty much ditto J. Angell's (how's that name for irony) post.
    But, I'm always gonna watch anything Holly does, and I'm a big Leon Rippy fan.
    So...
    Sure, I felt betrayed big time, but, what am I gonna do, demand that all pagans be portrayed as sober and moral?

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I don't think we're on the same page. I don't believe that there was a George Baily and he was visited by an angel and got to see what life would be like without him. That's not believable, for me. But I can buy into it when watching the movie because it is so well done, so heartfelt, and the characters are so well written and acted.

I guess I'm saying there's really believing and than there's buying into the movies basic concept. Watching "Schindler's List", I believe there was such depravity and cruelty and I believe amidst all that a person can be transformed. Under less skilled hands, with the same facts, I can still believe but be less moved.

"Saving Grace" had a chance to be emotionally involving, I just think they dropped the ball. But that's just my opinion. I will make this observation: when a series debuts and hits a home run, a thread like this will have many participants and many postings. That this is not happening indicates there's little interest in this show. Perhaps this is the HTF's mini-Nielson rating.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I personally like the show. I think it is well written, acted and has high production values. I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

BTW, I love the opening song by Everlast.